« January 2006 | Main | April 2006 »

March 23, 2006

Getting with the program

So in catching up on the news of the day, two stories in particular caught my fancy. One was about a $200 million gift given to NYU to begin a program in ancient studies, and the other was a commentary about the increasing complexity of entertainment, specifically the demands on audiences to think and be more engaged, and what the ramifications of that may be for marketing and communications.

Of course, my first reaction to the story about NYU was somewhere in the realm of envy and jealousy--on multiple levels. Jealous of NYU, that they received such an incredible gift, envious of the students who will be able to take advantage of this program. (Who among us has not fantasized about being Indiana Jones?)
But my better self prevails, and I'm happy for both the institution and the future students.

On the commentary, it got me to thinking about our new cognitive science program. I admit, at first I was pretty unclear on what cognitive science was all about, until I got to hear more about it from folks directly involved in the program. If you're in the same boat, wondering what the heck cognitive science is all about, read this commentary for one potential application of the discipline. It's fascinating stuff...

And for the record, I'm very envious of all of you who get to be cognitive science majors.

Posted by rrm3 at 09:30 AM | Comments (0) | TrackBack