« Who cares about SATs? | Main | I suppose it’s time »

On Missing Classes... during the first week of school

You know how your older siblings/friends/parents tell you that, in college, you don't have to go to class every day, and that professors don't care if you show up or not? Well, they lied. I hate to break it to you, but the majority of classes require you to actually attend class. If you decide to sleep through your classes, like me, you either have to make them up (on the weekends), or hound your friends for notes because not all classes are videotaped for your convenience. I, requiring at least 10 hours of sleep on a daily basis, drew the short end of the stick by deciding to attend college, as this amount of sleep is virtually impossible to obtain on a weekday.

Anyway, today was the first time I slept through one of my mandatory labs. Knowing my pathetic ability to wake up in the mornings, I set four alarms for myself. One alarm would give me the option to wake up in time to grab a bite to eat before lab (This alarm is usually the most neglected as I would opt to sleep rather than eat). The other three are designed to make me so annoyed that I would soon realize that I have lab in less than 30 minutes (the time it takes to get dressed and walk to the nursing building).

Apparently I trust my morning-self more than evening-self, which after missing lab today, is obviously not the right choice. Last semester, nursing labs started at 8:30 and lasted until 9:30. THIS semester, labs started at 8:00 and end at 10:00. My evening-self decided 30 minutes was ample time to prepare myself for the day and walk to the nursing building, and thus, set the alarm to 7:30. My morning-self, on the other hand, decided that nursing lab started at 8:30, and therefore, thought that the 1 hour allocated to getting to class was much too long. With this thought, I quickly fell back asleep only to wake up at 8:15 to realize that lab started a good 15 minutes ago. ASDJF;LKASDLFAHG;LADFJ.

Yeah. I hate myself. Anywho, with this experience, I never really realized how dependent we are on alarms. When I say we, I really mean me and assume the majority of college kids experience the same thing. Without this alarm, I would've slept straight through lunch and probably ended up arriving late to Stats which begins at 1:15PM. I've tried going to sleep early, hoping I would naturally wake up refreshed and ready to overcome the challenges of the day, but it's just too hard to sleep before 2AM. I don't know if it's the cloudy weather, or my hormones, or just my study habits, BUT THIS … missing classes… and being late to classes… and feeling tired…HAS GOT TO STOP! (Yesterday I slept right through Nutrition. At least I made it to class on time-- mind you, classes started this Monday).

Walking back from classes today, I decided that every morning, I'm going to sleep by 1:00AM and wake up by at 8:00AM, class or no class. That way, I not only will be able to have more energy throughout the day, but I will also be able to finish more work, and thus, better grades. Theoretically, this intervention should prove to increase my quality of life. I shall update the blog on how this goes. Wish me luck!

On a very, very small side note… I've been crying from my left eye since I started writing this post, not because of the sadness of missing class, but because of a small foreign object lodged somewhere underneath one of my left eyelids. I hope it'll go away sometime today. *crosses fingers*