« Decisions Decisions... | Main | Independence, People, and Dorms »

The College Survival Guide: Case Edition

1. There is a difference between going to class and actually paying attention in class. Yes, the games on my iPod touch are much more interesting than anything that’s being taught in Statics. Of course I think we are still learning about vectors but I’m not all that positive. And forgive me, I have calculus 3 right before Statics and both classes have had the exact same lesson plan for the first 2 weeks. Learning the same thing twice in a row, each for about 50 minutes, is not as fun as it sounds.

My Advice: Go to class and actually pay attention. No matter how much you may think you know the material, when you get to the homework you will regret not paying attention.

2. As tempting as it seems to sleep that extra 10-15 minutes in the morning before your first class, it is worth getting up and making it to class before the scheduled time. At the time 10-15 minutes more of extra sleep sounds amazing. But looking at the big picture, the extra stress from practically running to class and walking in late are not worth those 10 minutes.

My Advice: Plan ahead, get to class early. Being late to one or two classes can really ruin your day. (Plus its embarrassing walking in late)

3. On that note, I tend to take advantage of the snooze button on my alarm clock. Therefore, I developed the strategy way back in high school of setting my alarm a good 45 minutes before I actually need to be awake. This gives me the opportunity of multiple snoozes and coincidently tricking myself into believing I actually got to sleep in. It may sound stupid but I’m not a morning person. I can’t function completely in the morning, let alone understand simple concepts such as time.

My Advice: If you have trouble getting up in the morning, try setting your alarm much earlier than you need to be up. If it doesn’t make a difference you can switch back to your old methods.

4. Going to Leutner, Fribley, Grab-it or L3 for every meal can get repetitive after a few weeks. The temptation to spend Case cash or money elsewhere to get something different and “better” becomes extremely tempting (especially when there is a Subway right on the main quad). “I’ll only go elsewhere once or twice a week,” adds up to 3 or 4 times and sooner or later you are spending $20-$30 a week off the meal plan.

My Advice: Stay away from outside food sources because they can be costly and freshmen are required to be on the 17 or 19 meals per week plan. Someone is paying a lot of money for that meal plan (Something like $12 a meal). So take advantage of that. As a student, money unfortunately does not grow on trees.

That’s only a few of the tips I’ve quickly picked up in only one semester. I hope that they can be helpful for you in the transition from high school to college. I have no problem giving more advice as well.

Good article from your side. I think in career choices and career advice we need to make best projects to develop ourselves in the fields like research.As comes to employment and careers there are varied options.Job searching is not the matter here. Though job search is not that much big option here career is playing an important role.

However, Career Assessments are tests that come in a variety of forms and rely on both quantitative and qualitative methodologies. Career Assessments can help individuals identify and better articulate their unique interests, values, and skills. Career counselors, executive coaches, career development centers, and outplacement companies often administer career assessments to help individuals focus their search on careers that closely match their unique personal profile.

http://www.AHarrisonBarnes.com is one of the website we generally use based in our career interest.

Very helpful blog. Hope it will continually be alive!

gr8 resrch bro¡­

Thanks for sharing, it's very good information. I love reading about this subject. Will bookmark!

It is great to see y'all are going green! :)