« [HARLD] You've received a package! | Main | The Job Jungle »

Mixers, Movies, and Scenes from a Hat

Last weekend I decided that I needed a break. A well deserved one, if I do say so myself. It kind of resulted in Sunday being a crash-homework day, but I feel like it was worth it.

Friday night was the busiest, as Sigma Psi had a mixer with Phi Kappa Theta. It was 90s themed, which mostly meant that we consumed a lot of sugar and salt and watched Saved By the Bell. Since I’m a pledge, I’d never been to a mixer before, I wasn’t really sure what to expect. What was great about it was that it was low pressure; you get to hang out and meet people you probably wouldn’t know otherwise, and in the process you get to have fun and (obviously most importantly) eat a bunch of food.

I am super pumped for this weekend, because Sig Psi has a mixer with Sigma Nu (my boyfriend’s fraternity). I’ve met a lot of them and think they’re cool guys, so I’m sure this mixer won’t be lame. That’s not to mention that we have the greatest theme ever: Tacky Formal. Let’s just say that my dress involves a lot of red satin and tulle. Oh, and polka dots. Yep.

The CWRU Film Society also continues to be a giant sinkhole for all of my money. Last Friday they played Inglourious Basterds, and my love for Quentin Tarantino meant that it was pretty much obligatory that I go. I was not disappointed. Tonight they’re showing Food, Inc., and once again I think I’ll end up going. The fact that I love movies and the fact that I’m super interested in food production, humane practices, and consumer awareness combine to equal another $3 spent at Strosacker. I don’t regret it.

Lastly, and this is probably the most entertaining part of my weekend, I attended my first IMPROVment show. Ever. For those who aren’t aware, Case has an improv comedy group who perform at the Black Box near Eldred Theater every couple weeks or so. I’d heard about them often, I knew that people were going without me, but for some reason I had just never dragged myself all the way over to Eldred to see them perform. It was pretty hilarious, I must admit. For those of you who were (are?) fans of Whose Line Is It Anyway?, you’ll love IMPROV. They play a lot of the same games, and you get to interact as audience members in really entertaining ways. Plus they gave us candy. By now I’m sure you know that that means that I will love them forever. Definitely on the list of things I need to do again, and soon.