« Mixers, Movies, and Scenes from a Hat | Main | T Minus Eight Days Until Spring Break »

The Job Jungle

You hear about all the economic woes in our country. The stimulus package that really isn't stimulating. The layoffs, the closures, the downturns. The reality is, there aren’t a lot of jobs out in the nebulous "real world." Yet, the fact that I'm posting on this very blog says something about Case and the amount of jobs offered to students. The fact is, a lot of students are in need of money to cover tuition and other learning expenses. Getting a campus job is a perfect way to close that gap.

I never thought about job availability when I applied here. All I worried about was my tuition and how much money from scholarships I would get. Yet, towards the end of the first semester, I found myself staring at a poster in the common room advertising this very job. An email later, I dug out my resume from high school, threw together a writing sample, went for a quick informal interview, and got the job. For a lot of jobs on campus, it's really that easy. Wages are extremely generous too, often ranging from $9.50 to upwards of $10.00. Unlike a typical job; however, campus jobs offer more than just a paycheck.

With a meeting I had with the other bloggers and our bosses the other day, I realized that this job meant a lot more to me than turning a few hours of free time into money. This job was a way for me to acclimate myself to the professional world. You can be late to class, but you can't be late to a job meeting. You can fall asleep in class without any outstanding consequences, but to do that in a job meeting? You're just asking to get fired. A job differs from class in that you can't get away with those things any more. Yet, at the same time, jobs connect you with people and resources that are extremely valuable as your concentration moves from getting good grades to developing a good resume.

I remember walking out of that meeting feeling really happy with myself… happy that I knew that my work and time went to accomplish something in the real world instead of a letter on my transcript.

In somewhat related news: Browsing jobbss.case.edu, I found yet another job that I was interested in-- one regarding using Adobe InDesign (a graphic layout software) to design a annual program book for the Office of Research and Technology Management. In my case, it's not whether I can find a job or not, it's whether I have the time to balance all my commitments… something that you'll rarely hear nowadays.