« Peace, Love, and Greek Week | Main | A Visual Tour of a Week in My Life »

From the Blue Eyes of Bryden Spevak

One thing that I wish I had before coming to Case was knowing someone here that would be able to give me a glimpse of college from their own perspective: what they liked and what they disliked. I wish I had that "in." Now that I'm a proud student of Case, I am able to give what I, as a high school senior, didn't have. I plan on accomplishing that by featuring different people with different majors and their stories. My hope is for one of you out there to read this and have an easier time making your college decisions.

As promised, I interviewed one my friends who just so happened to be eating an early dinner with me on a Friday afternoon. Her name is Bryden, and the following is her story:

Name: Bryden Spevak
Year: Freshmen
Major: English & Political Science, Pre-Law
Hometown: Berea, OH
College Acceptances: Ohio State University, Ohio University, Kent State, University of Michigan Ann Arbor, University of Akron

Dreams & Aspirations
I want to be in the Peace Corps, travel, and write. I chose to come to Case because they have a career center that has a large number of connections to the Peace Corps, which I hope will help me get in. Being at Case will hopefully help me prepare me for my dreams. Corny? I know, but I feel that college is a time for students to pursue their dreams.

First Resident Hall Experience
My first friend that I met at Case lived on the same floor as I did, and when she first saw me, she came up to me and said "you have big blue eyes… are you Bryden?" I said yes, and ever since then, we've been friends. I would not have gotten to know her if it weren't for resident life.

What part of Case attracted you?
I liked that it was part of a big city, and how people were dedicated to their studies while being really down to earth. The campus was really pretty, especially the library.

While doing my overnight, I was going through a lot of problems with my ex. My friend's sister (who hosted me) and all her friends were really nice to me about it and they talked me through it, even though they didn't know me at all. That really showed me that, although they're still really into their school work and everything, they had no problem taking time to care about those around them. I think that the people here played a large part into why I chose to come to Case.

As far as academics go… I knew someone who was in the liberal arts department here, and they thought it was really good (which goes against the perception that Case is purely an engineering school). Case also has a really good study abroad program. I plan on going to Germany and England sometime in my college career.

Free Time Activities
I work at my job where I make coffee and enjoy conversations with a lot of students and faculty members.

What would you say to a prospective student?
Give Case a chance. At first, I didn't like it, but now, I'm completely in love with it. As an English major, it takes a while to fit in with the rest of the students, but once you find your niche, it really makes you feel at home. Joining Phi Mu (sorority) really helped me adapt too.

Stay tuned next week for Jesse and Ray aka Mr. Panda and Panda Jr.