« Sunshine and Research Papers | Main | A Day in the Life of... Me »

Wise Words, Haircuts, and... Case?

During Chapter (weekly fraternity meeting) this weekend, one of the brothers gave valuable advice. He said to try everything, no matter what. I guess this week I really took it to heart. I submitted my first letter of intent to run for the Vice President of Media in my AAA club. I asked one of my brothers to nominate me for social chair in my fraternity. On top of all that, I think the singular action that embodied these wise words of wisdom was letting one of my best friends cut my hair. That ended not as I planned, as now, I'm typing this entry with a buzz cut that's much too short for my liking. Yet, we only live once and college only lasts for four years, so what the heck. However, those were my thoughts during the haircut, before I looked at my calendar, which clearly indicated that I had to take my fraternity photos (kind of like yearbook photos) this Thursday. Ah, the decisions we make as teenagers.

This week's events allowed me to reflect on how far I've come because I was able to step out of my comfort zone and expand my boundaries. Cliché? Yes. But it's cliché for a reason, and that reason lies within the success that this point of view will bring you. A large part of who I am today, why I'm at Case, and how far I've grown here can all be attributed to saying to myself "just do it" (Nike should be paying me right now).

The deciding factor that brought me 2,500 miles to Case was largely the people I met here during my overnight that took place roughly around this time of the year. I got an invitation to attend Freshman Friday, where the Nursing school invites all of its undergraduate prospective students to spend a night with upperclassmen nurses. My mom wasn't able to take me there. I was still a senior in high school that still complained when I had to run a few errands for my parents. Flying to Ohio by myself was pretty much out of the question… until the parental forces did what they do best: used their impeccable persuasive skills (or lack thereof) to get me to attend. By subscribing to their ideal of "try everything," I was able to discover Phi Kappa Psi, a group of amazing friends, and four years that I feel will pass much too fast for my liking.

I was able to experience all of these things not only because my parents won't take no for an answer, but also because I stepped out of my personal bubble. If you read (or even possibly learn) anything from my ramblings, read this sentence: Try everything, no matter what. You might even like what you get yourself into. The more I write about this, the more I'm beginning to enjoy this haircut of mine.