« Lets Walk Around the Track for 18 Hours? | Main | So close and yet so far… »

Don't Sweat

As I sit in the stacks on the 3rd floor of the Kelvin Smith Library, I realized that I'm probably too sleepy to write my 10-page SAGES paper. Thus, I decided to do something else that's relatively productive. Originally I was going to interview one of my friends, but college kids are busy during finals, so you'll have to forgive me. I know I promised to interview more of my friends.

If I were to summarize my week into a single phrase, It would be "don't sweat the small stuff." Remember earlier I blogged about the incident involving my knee (which by the way isn't healed yet)? I got injured because I was afraid that I would be late for clinicals. Looking back, running on icy pavement at 6:30AM in the winter morning was not very smart. In the big scheme of things, being late to clincials would not have meant the end o f the world. But because I didn't see it that way at the time, I risked my health, got injured, ripped my scrubs, and probably need to get an x-ray. Was being on time worth it? No.

As it is finals week, I just wanted to remind everyone not to sweat the small stuff. Get a lower grade than you expected? Don't sweat. That single grade in your whole college career will not drastically change your life. There are so many more opportunities out there, like... finding happiness in the love of your life, or something gushy like that.

I say this because this week, I was sweating profusely about the small stuff. Every single class I'm enrolled in is on the borderline. For example, I got an email today from my English professor with my grade and his regards. This was his email:

Hi, Kevin: You fall into the category of “an A on the final paper means an A in the class,” so I’m going to put some pressure on you and encourage you to make this final essay your strongest piece of writing this semester.

How does that make me feel? Stressed. Is it good for my body? No. How many white hairs am I going to go home with? Enough to make me look 10 years older.

But something else happened today. I had lunch with my brothers. It helped me realize that there are so many things out there that matter more than a few grades: Things like brotherhood, friends, family, happiness, lasting memories. Those things cannot be changed or replaced. Grades, however, can. You can do better next semester and raise that GPA, whereas if you sacrifice those that are close to you, there's no guarantee that you'll get them back.

So, for all you who are sweating about finals, don't. Go out, breathe in the nice-fresh-Cleveland-air, hang out with your friends. Life's more important than grades.