« Hit The Ground Running | Main | On Growing Up and Responsibility »

Welcome Back, Have a Flu Shot

Hello everyone!

It's awesome to be back at CWRU for another year, and even more awesome that I get to blog about all of my sophomore year shenanigans. My summer was pretty uneventful (work, work, more work, and some work), so it's really exciting to see friends, have fun, and...you know, that school thing. I'm living in the Sigma Psi house this year with my lovely sisters, and I've got a whole bunch of exciting stuff lined up. Get pumped. I know I am.

I do have to say, however, that about 7 weeks into being back at Case, I am NOT excited about one thing: I'm sick. Like, legitimately sick. The whole feverish, hacking and coughing, please-kill-me-now kind of sick. This could not come at a worse time, considering this is the start of a string of busy weeks and even busier weekends, and I totally can't afford to be sick now. Ugh.

But since the inevitable has happened, and I did actually get sick, I think it's worth it to let you all know just what you should do if you find yourself shivering, sniffling, and generally miserable while at school. So here it is, your survival guide for being sick at CWRU:

1. You know what your mom will tell you: get rest and drink fluids. You probably have a cold, or something similar. If so, there's not much that will do you better than keeping hydrated and putting down the textbook so you can get some sleep. It's worth it. Trust me. If you keep pushing yourself through all nighters to study, you will only get worse.

2. Go to Health Services. They can hopefully let you know if your sniffles are something more serious, and if not, they can give you some advice on how to get better. I know that the last thing you want to do is to leave the comfort of your bed, but it'll be better to treat that upper respiratory infection now rather than later when you've coughed up a lung.

3. Call or email your professors. They may be willing to offer you an extension if you're too infirm to finish work on time. It may help for them to simply know that you won't be your bright and cheery self in seminar. Or, depending on the class, the course schedule, and how disease-ridden you are, their advice may simply be "stay home".

4. Don't be afraid to say no. If you're like me, you're over-scheduled on a good day. When you're sick, it may be hard to tell someone that you really can't make that SI session, or that the fliers for your club will have to wait another week. But at this point, it's better to wait until you can give your commitments 100% rather than not putting your best work forward due to illness.

5. Don't stress. You'll feel better sooner than you think. It's not the end of the world if you miss an assignment. Your GPA won't suffer, I promise. You're a capable human; you can make up for lost time. Focus on feeling better, and getting the work done will come easier.

Stay healthy, readers. And if you don't, don't worry -- these tips should get you back on your feet soon enough. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go take some over-the-counter meds, eat soup, and nap for a couple hours. At this point, I think it's just what I need.

Thanks for a great post, I never thought of it like that before.