« It's That Time of Year Again! | Main | G(r)eek »

From Costa Rica to Amsterdam

As a new semester beings, I can't help but think about how amazing winter break was. Usually, winter break is spent staring at my computer, bored out of my skull, waiting for something to happen. This was not the case. My family and I went to Costa Rica for a week. The trip was nothing short of AMAZING. We traveled throughout the country stopping by key tourist areas along the way. We saw one of the rarest birds in the country and got to experience the unique wildlife. However, the thing that made my trip so memorable was the fact that I got to get so much closer with my younger brother. Being 6 years younger than me, we don’t really have much in common. Yet, for some reason, we started talking a lot more. I could finally relate to his experiences in middle school, and we started playing the same video games.
How does this relate to CASE? Well, the first point I wanted to make was about traveling. Going to Costa Rica helped me realize how much I loved learning new things outside of the class room, and what better way to do so than to study abroad. With that being said, I decided to go on a trip to Amsterdam to learn about social justice. I'm extremely excited for the trip because I'm also going with a few of my fraternity brothers. This leads me to my second point: The more time you spend with those that you want to become close with, the easier it'll be to achieve your goal. I always wanted to be closer with my brothers. I wanted those "life-long friends" that so many people say Greek Life has helped them achieve. Yet, living out of house along with a busy schedule hasn't helped at all. That's why I'm so excited for this spring break because I'll be able spend a whole week with a few of my brothers outside of the country. This combination of brotherhood with experiential learning is something that I never thought could go together. Yet, here, it's really not that hard to get a few of your brothers to accompany you to a different country. Study abroad is also extremely popular among students, which makes it even easier to travel with your friends. I’m totally looking forward to three easy credit hours while not only enjoying what I learn, but making memories with fraternity brothers. Spring break 2011, here we come.

Here are some of the photos that I took in Costa Rica:

DSC01984.jpg
DSC03084.jpg
sunsethdr2.jpg