« January 2011 | Main | March 2011 »

February 28, 2011

Health, Wellness, and the Weekend

This weekend I had some of the most fun I've had all semester. I got to celebrate three friends' birthdays, go to my favorite event of the year, and have a quiet night in with sisters all in one weekend. And I even got homework done! It's a miracle!

One of the things that surprised me most about this weekend, however, was a program that I went to on Friday night put on by our chapter's Risk Manager. As an officer, she makes sure we're safe, whether by educating us on university alcohol policies, making sure we're aware of all of the resources available, or organizing programs to improve our healthy living.

Friday was a SMARRT presentation that she organized on Health and Wellness. The Students Meeting About Risk and Responsibility Training (SMARRT) program is one which allows students to receive education on issues relevant to the average college student through peer education and discussion. They offer programs on Policies and Procedures, Alcohol and Drug Education, Sexual Assault Prevention, and Health and Wellness.

Health and Wellness is their newest program, and I wasn't sure what to expect. What we got was awesome, informative, and open to discussion. The program taught us about appropriate exercise, sleep, and eating habits, providing us with info on everything from sleep patterns to proper nutrition. Additionally, the leaders handed out sheets for everyone with info to keep in mind, as well as contact info for on-campus resources. I learned a lot, including that we have a campus nutritionist at health services and even that the CWRU mattresses have different firmness sides.

I've had a lot of fun experiences in my first year and a half at Case, but I often forget just how much of what I learn in college will stay with me throughout life. Hopefully good habits that I start now will stick, and I'll be able to make the most of all the fabulous opportunities ahead.

Posted by sbm37 at 09:19 PM | Comments (2161) | TrackBack

February 13, 2011

Feeling a little philanthropic?

It seems like we're getting into the time of year when every other day I have something scheduled to do. It's by no means a bad thing, as 85% of the things I need to do are fun, but it can still be a little overwhelming.

This week, for example? Three philanthropy events. Yes, three. DG is holding a pancake breakfast benefiting Service for Sight, Alpha Phi is holding APhitness, where you donate in order to enjoy a workout class for relatively cheap (if you're a member of a gym, you know $5 isn't all that bad. And for charity!), and Phi Delta Theta is holding their second annual Food Fest, where groups cook and guests vote for the best in each category.

All this, plus I'm going to Sigma Nu's formal on Saturday, I have a couple of papers, quizzes, and an exam, I'm attending our annual faculty luncheon where we meet with different professors and deans for some conversation about scholarship, and somewhere in there I need to remember to breathe and sleep.

As busy as spring semester always seems to be, I keep remembering how much I love it. So many exciting things are coming up! Springfest, Greek Week, and spring sports to name a few. (Pitchers and catchers report to spring training on Tuesday! Hooray baseball!) Generally speaking, I'm stoked. Hopefully I can keep all my school work up to date without missing out on any of that awesome.

Posted by sbm37 at 09:06 PM | Comments (2989) | TrackBack

February 08, 2011

Holy Programming Board, Batman!

Students at Case have a tendency to complain about how little there is to do here. It's generally good-natured, and usually of the teasing variety, but sometimes people genuinely start to believe it, and that's where I start to remind people of my CWRU mantra: it's all about what you're looking for. Me? I manage to find something entertaining to do (for free) at least once a week, and all because I read a few emails instead of clicking "delete" automatically like I used to. And it's pretty much because of two magical little words: Thwing. Tuesday.

As a freshman, I rarely spent any time in Thwing. My classes were usually within reasonable distance from my dorm, and if I had free time between classes, I was more likely than not going to go back to my room and do work while the dorm was empty, or grab a quick lunch in Leutner. Neither of those things were bad ideas, in fact I kind of miss the availability of "free" food that comes with being on a university meal plan. But I was missing out on some of the coolest free stuff available to Case students.

This semester, I have two huge two hour breaks in the middle of my Tuesdays and Thursdays. Since my top-of-the-hill dorm is so far away from every classroom ever, I got lazy and decided to hang out in Thwing between classes and get some work done. That plan was good in theory, but then I discovered that a whole group of my friends also hang out in Thwing. Now I get pretty much nothing done, but I do have a whole lot of fun with them.

Perhaps the even bigger surprise find, though, was a whole mess of free food, swag, and events put together by University Program Board, fondly known as Thwing Tuesdays. I somehow totally missed the memo last year and never knew such a wonderful thing existed. Now I'm here every week, snagging everything from a free Easy Bake Oven (I am so excited about this. Baked goods with a light bulb!) to delicious free Qdoba, to free spin art...you're probably noticing a trend here, and that's the word "free"! Free is possibly the best thing ever for a college student, and there's something for everyone every week? Why didn't I pay attention to these emails sooner?!

Lesson learned? Read the UPB emails! They put together a whole lot of other cool programs besides Thwing Tuesday, from concerts like this winter's concert with Big Boi, to ski trips to Holiday Valley, to other trips here in our own back yard. And remember, if you ever think that there's "nothing to do" here at Case -- there are more events than you ever imagined. It's all about paying attention.

Posted by sbm37 at 02:37 PM | Comments (3342) | TrackBack

February 07, 2011

Oh The Things You Do

I know I’ve been harping a ton about greek life, but I just wanted to show you what I was up to this Sunday. As most of you know this Sunday was SUPERBOWL SUNDAY. And as per tradition, we have our Deep Fat Fry Fest, where we use our deep fryer to fry anything and everything. Here are some photos of the event:
photo.JPG
photo2.JPG

GREEK LIFE. IS AWESOME. Where else could you eat so much fried food and not be judged?
In other news, I’m super busy with all my extra-curricular activities. I just finished a video for AAA Night, which is one of the largest events that AAA holds every year. It took me a few days, but I’m pretty proud of it. See it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BVQbQ0D3f4. This time of the month also happens to be when people like you (assuming you’re a prospective student) start visiting colleges. Therefore, my boss wanted me to finish brochures featuring students that took part in undergraduate research to sell that aspect of CASE (a lot of students do undergraduate research which is a really good experience and looks really good on your resume). The fraternity is also having a lot of our annual events like Heaven and Hell (a dance party that’s held at our house) and our Soccer Tournament (our philanthropy event this semester). Guess what? All these events require shirts, and as PR chair, I’m responsible for helping making them. That equals more time and less sleep on my part, which I need to function for the eight hours I’m working in the hospitals Tuesdays and Thursdays. If you got lost half way through this paragraph, I forgive you, because I also sometimes forget about the 29837491720948 commitments I have.
WISH ME LUCK! I’m going to start taking more photos of campus because I have my camera now, so stay tuned for that.

Posted by kms161 at 09:25 PM | Comments (2989) | TrackBack