« April 2011 | Main | October 2011 »

May 02, 2011

So You're Coming to CWRU...

Hey there, Class of 2015! Most of the time, this blog is designed for any and all prospective students of Case Western, whether they are a senior looking to make a tough final decision or a freshman who is already dreaming of what college they would like to call home.

Not today, however. Because today is May 2nd, I know all of you graduating high school in 2011 have made your final decisions for the years to come, whether that will lead you here or elsewhere. So today I dedicate my post to you, the Case Western Reserve University class of 2015.

Two years ago, I was in your shoes. It was the last month of my high school career, and though I loved the time left to spend with friends, I was dying to graduate and finally go to college. I felt so ready and so excited. I had picked my housing, I was looking around for a roommate, and I spent endless hours thinking about all of the new experiences I would have after finally leaving the bubble I'd lived in for the past four years.

Two years later, I'm immeasurably different. I have grown as a person, a student, a leader. I am so very grateful for all that Case has given me. I'm sure that in two years, you'll be able to say the same. So here is my advice to you, class of 2015. I hope that you can take something away from it that will make the months to come that much easier, more fun, and more meaningful.

1. Treasure summer. If you're like me, it will be the last time things really feel the way they did throughout grade school or high school. Some of you may be desperate for high school to be over, but enjoy summer anyway. You'll be surprised what you miss when you leave it behind.

2. Come to Orientation with an open mind. It's one of the first times you'll truly get a feel for what CWRU is like. At this point, it doesn't matter if you feel insecure or unsure, or if you're afraid you won't like Case. This is your opportunity to make your time here whatever you want it to be. Your best friend could be someone you never would have talked to in high school. Who you are at CWRU starts now.

3. When you get here in the fall, leave your comfort zone. At least once a day, make sure you get out of your room and hang out in a common space or find someone to talk to. It might feel uncomfortable at first -- I know it did for me. But friendships start when you say hello to people, and it's a good chance to start all that growth and change the moment you get here.

4. Take chances. Do something you might not have in high school. This doesn't have to be anything crazy or off the wall. It might just mean that when people from your floor say they're going out to eat or to explore Coventry or Severence or Downtown, you tag along. Ultimately, you'll probably regret much more the things you didn't do than the things you did.

5. Remember: this experience is what you make it. It's true of college, it's true of CWRU, and it's true of life. You can sit back and let things happen to you, or you can make things happen. Who says you can't do everything you ever wanted to? This is college. The possibilities are pretty much endless.

I'm sure I'll see some of you come July for Orientation, so feel free to say hi! I get kind of excited in the dorkiest way when people mention that they read the blog, and one of my goals for Orientation is to meet as many of you awesome people as I can. In the mean time, enjoy graduation. Make your goodbyes honest and heartfelt. Let this summer be a time for freedom. See you in the fall!

Posted by sbm37 at 08:41 PM | Comments (2014) | TrackBack