« Tar Wars Or Is the FSF the Microsoft of UNIX? | Main | Update from Improv »

June 01, 2005

Danger Will Robinson!

Nicole beat me to this but I really don't care...

I found out from John Fleck's Blog that Human Events has posted a list of the 10 most harmful books of the 19th and 20th centuries as well as the runners up. Some of the more hillarious choices were Democracy and Education (the "rejected traditional religion and moral absolutes," their words not mine, this reads like a good thing to me and "disparaged schooling that focused on traditional character development and endowing children with hard knowledge, and encouraged the teaching of thinking 'skills' instead," same thing), the The Feminine Mystique, The Course of Positive Philosophy ("theorizing that the human mind had developed beyond 'theology'... through 'metaphysics'... to 'positivism,' in which man alone, through scientific observation, could determine the way things ought to be") and The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money. And from the runners up include Origin of the Species, Introduction to Psychoanalysis (because most of the time a cigar is not a cigar), and Descent of Man.

What I find especially interesting is that I can read the same text they use to describe several of the books and find what they find offensive, laudable. I've dubbed this the "Fox News Disconnect" named for when I'm watching FOX News and can tell by the speaker's tone of voice that he feels I should be outraged yet I'm not.

Tomas Frydrych has some interesting thoughts on the first two and their ordering. The Communist Manifesto being more dangerous than Mein Kampf.

I also find it kind of funny that despite the "danger" of these books the Human Events doesn't mind making a buck or two off of them by posting Amazon links with their referrer id.

Posted by ajc30 at June 1, 2005 07:49 PM

Trackback Pings

http://blog.case.edu/ajc30/mt-tb.cgi/1457

In order to get deeper you need to raise discussions regarding various aspects of the subjects including its pros and cons.

No Download Casino

Posted by: david at July 11, 2005 06:11 PM

Remember Me?

(you may use HTML tags for style)