« May 2005 | Main | July 2005 »

June 29, 2005

Domain Dilemma

My domain name comes up for renewal every June, and almost every year I transfer it. Last year I had transferred it to MyDomain.com because I was using their free DNS and wanted to give them my business. Shortly there after they overhauled their site and offerings and there name servers started to suck so I changed name servers to zoneedit. Now that I have no obligation to be their customer, I decided to switch to save a few cents and get away from their obnoxious HTML e-mails. Based on a recommendation of one of my mother's cousins, I chose GoDaddy.com. Well during the transfer my domain expired. The first godaddy customer service employee I e-mailed said:

"This may cause a problem. If your current registrar locks your domain name at the expiration date, we would not be able to transfer it"

but continued:

"NOTE: A request to transfer [domain] has been submitted to the domain's Registry. The Registry will contact the current Registrar to make a final verification of the transfer. At present we are waiting on them to respond to this request. Some Registrars will try to verify requests of this kind before accepting them. Be sure to respond to any correspondence from your current Registrar in a timely manner or they may hold the domain. However, if the Registrar does not respond for a period of 5-7 days, the Registry will release the domain to us. This is what happens with many Registrars, so it may be a few days before the transfer is complete. Once Go Daddy has been informed of the outcome we will let you know."

This second passage led me to wait a few more days until the domain expired where I e-mailed them again and this time I was told "If the domain name in question has already expired, the transfer in question will most likely not complete." And of course at the bottom of all of these e-mails godaddy has the audacity to try to pimp their other services to their already frustrated customers. I was also told I can't cancel the transfer "due to the status that the domain name is currently in, we will have to wait for the domain transfer to either complete or fail." Meanwhile this transfer request seems to be blocking me from renewing at the previous registrar. I can already see that I'm going to be forced to buy the domain out of redemption from the old registrar for over $100, sigh.

I guess the moral of the story is renew/transfer wll in advance. After I shell out to rescue my domain, I'll be looking to get away from both of these clowns, any suggestions?

Addendum: I got an e-mail from GoDaddy today saying that the transfer was successful.

Posted by ajc30 at 06:38 PM | Comments (2) | TrackBack

June 26, 2005

Batman and Galapgos

I finished reading Frank Miller's Batman: The Dark Knight Returns as well as Kurt Vonnegut's Galapagos.

As far as the Dark Night goes, I question Miller's portrayal of Superman. I'll admit I never ready any Superman comics and can't even point out any difference between pre and post-crisis Superman, however I did watch alot of the animated series and also know some of the basics. In the Superman TAS three part episode "The Last Son of Krypton" Jor-El defied Brainiac and the government of Krypton. Also, Superman could have been the king of Earth or at least made a good attempt at it but instead chooses to use his powers for benevolence. I also find it interesting that Bruce calls Superman Clark and not Kal.

This was a double Batman week for me because I also saw Batman Begins. I liked it better than all the other Batman movies I've seen execpt for maybe the 1989 movie because I haven't seen that in a while. Though I question Bruce Wayne's desire to hang out in the prision just to beat up criminals.

There is also a new Batman animated series The Batman. I think it is really subpar. I watched their manbat story and it wasn't as good as Batman TAS's manbat story. I also think that Rino Romano (Tuxedo Mask) isn't nearly as good as Kevin Conroy.

As far as Galapagos goes I didn't like it as much as Cat's Cradle and Player Piano or even Slaughterhouse-Five and Sirens of Titan. It was still pretty good but I was just a little disappointed. I also found the lack of a Delta Upsilon reference unfortunate.

Posted by ajc30 at 12:02 AM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

June 11, 2005

Update from Improv

I've kept from blogging much about my internship/co-op at Improv Systems because of my NDA but today I'm thrilled that my project has finally been checked into revsion control! I also found a link through Google News to a press release type story about our multi-media project with NS8. Lastly, I can tell you that the two projects aren't directly related.

Posted by ajc30 at 12:25 AM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

June 01, 2005

Danger Will Robinson!

Nicole beat me to this but I really don't care...

I found out from John Fleck's Blog that Human Events has posted a list of the 10 most harmful books of the 19th and 20th centuries as well as the runners up. Some of the more hillarious choices were Democracy and Education (the "rejected traditional religion and moral absolutes," their words not mine, this reads like a good thing to me and "disparaged schooling that focused on traditional character development and endowing children with hard knowledge, and encouraged the teaching of thinking 'skills' instead," same thing), the The Feminine Mystique, The Course of Positive Philosophy ("theorizing that the human mind had developed beyond 'theology'... through 'metaphysics'... to 'positivism,' in which man alone, through scientific observation, could determine the way things ought to be") and The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money. And from the runners up include Origin of the Species, Introduction to Psychoanalysis (because most of the time a cigar is not a cigar), and Descent of Man.

What I find especially interesting is that I can read the same text they use to describe several of the books and find what they find offensive, laudable. I've dubbed this the "Fox News Disconnect" named for when I'm watching FOX News and can tell by the speaker's tone of voice that he feels I should be outraged yet I'm not.

Tomas Frydrych has some interesting thoughts on the first two and their ordering. The Communist Manifesto being more dangerous than Mein Kampf.

I also find it kind of funny that despite the "danger" of these books the Human Events doesn't mind making a buck or two off of them by posting Amazon links with their referrer id.

Posted by ajc30 at 07:49 PM | Comments (1) | TrackBack