« Windows Genuine Pain in the Ass | Main | Verilog »

October 16, 2005

Brilliant!

Did anyone else think that the Dean Kamen lecture was incredibly poorly planned. Not only was it poorly advertised (I only heard about it via word of mouth) but I class was scheduled to end 10 minutes fore the lecture was scheduled to begin. Does that seem crazy to anyone else?

While we're at it would anyone have rather seen him bust open a Segway and talk about closed loop control. It seems like we always get these really brilliant people to come in and just let them go to waste talking about broad concepts like innovation. (Stephen Hawking's lecture was pretty basic too.)

I really did enjoy Dean's comments about American society when talking about FIRST.

Does anyone else think that the Segway is a south pointing chariot. I remember when they first came out and everyone made a huge deal about how these were going to revolutionize city life. Years later, I still have never even seen one of these in person.

Posted by ajc30 at October 16, 2005 02:56 PM

Trackback Pings

http://blog.case.edu/ajc30/mt-tb.cgi/3457

The Segways are being used in the major cities. I wonder if Cleveland is just not well suited for them. Police are using them in crowd control, parking meter enforcement, and traffic control in other cities. I have also heard about them being using by postal workers. I saw one in downtown Akron this past year at very crowded event. A photographer was using one, which worked great to put him a few feet above the crowd but still allowed him to manuever.

For an event the was open to the entire campus community, outside guests, and alumni, his talk was very appropriate for the mixed audience. Maybe a 2nd more technical talk should have been scheduled for the EECS or other engineering students.

Posted by: Brian Gray at October 16, 2005 04:09 PM

Remember Me?

(you may use HTML tags for style)