« WebDAV and Windows | Main | Cool new social and collaboration tools from RedHat »

April 19, 2006

Getting Right Shift to Work in Olin 404.5

Some of you have probably noticed that right shift doesn't work on under GNOME on the Sun Rays in Olin 404.5. The solution is to go to System > Prefrences > Keyboard Shortcuts, scroll down to E-mail click on it and hit backspace. Or you can run this command
gconftool-2 --type string --set /apps/gnome_settings_daemon/keybindings/email disabled
I found this from the Ubuntu on Sun Ray guide. It also has instructions on how to fix the Alt keys. Another good GNOME on Sun Ray guide is This blog post by a Sun employee. I recommend turning off wallpaper
gconftool-2 --type string --set /desktop/gnome/background/picture_options none
gconftool-2 --type string --set /desktop/gnome/background/primary_color \#037AD6
gconftool-2 --type string --set /desktop/gnome/background/color_shading_type solid

and the desktop
gconftool-2 --type bool --set /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop false

Posted by ajc30 at April 19, 2006 10:51 AM

Trackback Pings

http://blog.case.edu/ajc30/mt-tb.cgi/7512

My solution has been to use KDE :)

Posted by: David Carlin at April 20, 2006 07:56 PM

That was my solution as well; I changed the default environment to KDE (I like it better anyway).

I'll make this change system-wide though. I used the Ubuntu/Sun Ray wiki article to install the system, but must have missed a step there.

Feel free to let me know about things you want done differently in the Unix Lab.

Posted by: Simon Kuhn at April 20, 2006 09:11 PM

Well it would be super awesome if the user's filer were automouted to $HOME/filer on login.

Posted by: Alex at April 20, 2006 09:47 PM

Hmm. I don't think I could automatically do that, since Filer uses your Case ID and password and the Unix Lab is still using EECS Unix IDs and passwords. Many times they're the same, but not always.

I hope to move it to authenticate from ldap.cwru.edu this summer, which would make it more feasible. But I would have to steal the user's password to automatically authenticate. Making a link on the desktop to the correct place that would then require manual authentication might be more possible.

Posted by: Simon Kuhn at April 20, 2006 11:39 PM

Remember Me?

(you may use HTML tags for style)