Team Evaluations

Throughout my academic career at Case Western Reserve University, I have worked on more than a dozen team projects dealing with a variety of topics. Some of my experiences in group work have been terrific while others have left me hoping for more. Therefore, I am often pleased when one of the grades for a project consists of a team self assessment process where team members rank each other on their performance in the group.
Although this process is relatively common, I have never been asked to form my own set of criteria by which my team mates should be scored. This was a very new experience for me in MGMT 250 and I feel that it showed me a new side of team projects at Case.
As a group we brainstormed several categories which we thought were the most important to the success of the project. After arriving at a final list, several different assessment rubrics were authored as a means of giving the team members a choice as to the exact format of the evaluations. Although each form contained very similar categories, the point systems on certain rubrics favored higher scores where other formats were less forgiving.
While I did expect that the format that would result in the highest marks would be favored, I had not predicted how well the choices of team members correspond to their individual weaknesses. Therefore, team members who were seen as being the strongest favored evaluation techniques that highlighted their strengths in timeliness for example. Conversely, those persons who had experienced problems with attendance chose methods that did not heavily weigh attendance.
These results may not be terribly striking but they do point to the fact that team members are very aware of how they are perceived the remainder of the group. Thus, it seems that being candid about opinions of each other in a team setting may be an even more positive objective than I had previously considered since those persons are most likely aware of general problems.

Trackback URL for this entry is: http://blog.case.edu/ajg21/mt-tb.cgi/4852

Artur, I understand exactly what you are sayig about the team evaluations we were asked to create. While I too was a little uneasy at first about coming up with my own criteria for evaluating myself and my teammates, in the end I was glad that we had decided on the criteria and method of calculation. For the first time I feel like my opinion will be heard and that my evaluations of my teammates will be accurately reflected in their scores. It helped that our evaluation criteria were unbiased and fair. Conversely, I can rest assured that I will be judged fairly and accurately as well. In my opinion this is merely another example of the widespread application of our HR simulation experiences.

If you have entered an email address in the box, clicking this checkbox will subscribe your email address to this entry so that you are notified if any updates or additional comments occur on the entry.