I got paid! More on that later. Sorry it's been so long since I've written. Last week was midterm week so I was up late writing papers and studying for tests. But now that's over. It's Fall Break!!!!!

I never thought the campus could get this empty this fast. Friday night there were only 6 people left on the hall and Sam left Saturday night. It is almost like going back to freshman orientation except emptier. I'm still having fun though. Mark and Zhen are still here and I hung out with Alex and his sister last night so there are a few people still around to do stuff with.

Today was really interesting though. On thursday at CCC a guy came up to me and asked me if I would be interested in filling in to sing at his church that sunday evening. I said I would be in town and would love to fill in. Later that night he brought the music by and told me the details of the gig. He also told me that I was getting paid for my trouble. I thought I was doing this out of the goodness of my heart and it turned out I was going to make some money too.

It was a very old Anglican Catholic church whose building has been around for more than 100 years. The "choir" I was singing in was really an octet with a bass missing so my role was much larget than I expected. I was filling in at a 4:00 Sunday service so it was smaller than the traditional Sunday morning worship service. The boy who asked me, Graham, was the organist/choir director. I arrived and the smell of incense and oils. The inside was very ornate with many Cricifixes and paintings of Mary. We rehearsed at 3:00 and took a small break before the service. Out of the hour long service, I would probably say I sang for 45 minutes of it, mostly call and response between the minister and the choir. The worship service was very ritualistic but the small but friendly congregation made me feel somewhat at ease. Afterword, Graham drove me back to my dorm and asked me if I would be willing to fill in again. I said I'd love to.

So, while this weekend has been kind of slow at times, today was very productive. With the time I spent learning the music, riding too and from there, and the service itself, I was paid about $13/hour. I can hardly complain about that. So until next time, thanks for reading.


Trackback URL for this entry is: http://blog.case.edu/alana.sealy/mt-tb.cgi/3562


Post a comment

If you have entered an email address in the box, clicking this checkbox will subscribe your email address to this entry so that you are notified if any updates or additional comments occur on the entry.