July 01, 2011
Namesakes - Flora Stone Mather House
Flora Stone Mather House and Flora Stone Mather
Flora Stone Mather might be CWRU’s most frequent building namesake. We haven’t accounted for every formally named building in the university’s history, but we know four buildings were named for Mrs. Mather:
Flora Mather House (Mather College dormitory)
Flora Stone Mather Memorial Building (Mather College administration and classroom building)
Stone Dining Hall (part of the Mather housing complex built in the 1960s) and
Flora Stone Mather House (nursing residence)
Mrs. Mather was a generous donor to Western Reserve University and other Cleveland institutions. She was also one of a small group of women, the Advisory Council, who contributed their time, energy, and influence to ensure a successful start for WRU’s College for Women. In 1931, the College was named in her honor.
Flora Stone Mather House was one of four buildings constructed as residences for nurses as part of the then-new University Circle campus of the WRU School of Medicine and University Hospitals of Cleveland. Architect of the nearly $1.8 million complex was Coolidge, Shepley, Bulfinch & Abbott. Opened in 1930, Robb House, Harvey House, Lowman House, and Mather House formed a quadrangle, building 2 on this aerial image, on the south side of Euclid Avenue between Adelbert Road and Abington Road (now University Hospitals Drive).
Flora Stone Mather House living room (left) and commons room (right), early 1903s
Posted by jmt3 at July 1, 2011 03:04 PM
TrackBack URL for this entry: