« October 2011 | Main | December 2011 »

November 21, 2011

Case vs. Reserve 1948 Thanksgiving Day game

The 11/25/1948 Cleveland Plain Dealer Sports headline read, “Case Hopes to End Reserve’s 21-Year Streak.” Long-time reporter Chuck Heaton wrote, “Case and Western Reserve, those traditional rivals, will be cast in familiar roles at 10:30 this Thanksgiving Day morning at League Park.

“The Rough Riders are on the short end of the odds again despite the fact that they will take the field with a slightly better record than the Red and White clad warriors from across the fence.

“Reserve must be selected as favorite on the basis of its far more rugged schedule, better running attack and the fact that the Red Cats displayed sharper claws as the season progressed. Perhaps even more important than these fundamental facts is Reserve’s winning complex which has played such an important part in making most Thanksgivings a day of football celebration for Reserve.”

Ray Ride, Case football coach since 1930 and athletic director, had never beaten Reserve in football. The closest he came to victory was a 0-0 tie in 1933. 1948 was a different year. The Rough Riders were victorious over the Red Cats of Reserve.

The account from the Case student yearbook, Differential, read:
“Twenty-one years is a long, long time, but when it happened, it was convincing. Case beat Western Reserve, 15-7!

“League Park was agog. Telephones spoke. Radios hummed. In a matter of minutes all Cleveland was exclaiming, ‘Heard the latest? Case beat Reserve!’ The year of upsets was climaxed. The Indians, Truman, and now Case!

“Early in the opening quarter Neubecker rocketed through, nailing Castilla behind his goal. Two points rang upon the scoreboard.

“Second period. Ganyard, on a jump pass, hit Steigerwald. Dave saw the goal line, and Case rooters went wild.

“Fourth quarter Rigot smashed into the Red Cat line. It gave. At the twenty Oatis called the clincher. Rigot faded, looking for a receiver, saw him, and hit him. Yarsa scored the final points. The goal posts fell!

“Pick out the stars? Impossible! The team, man for man, played the game of their lives. Said the jubilant Ray Ride, ‘The line played perfect football.’ The backfield – Rigot, Zahn, Oatis, and Yarsa – became jinx-cracking Case immortals.”

Enjoy more stories of the traditional Thanksgiving Day Case-Reserve game.

Posted by hxy2 at 02:28 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

November 17, 2011

Namesakes - George E. Pierce, Pierce Hall, and Pierce House

01136D1.jpg 00114D1.jpg
Portrait of George Edmond Pierce and Pierce Hall

George Edmond Pierce served as Western Reserve College’s second president, from 1834 to 1855. A graduate of Andover Theological Seminary and Yale University, Pierce was Pastor of a Congregational Church in Harwinton, Connecticut before coming west to Hudson, Ohio to accept the presidency of the eight-year old Western Reserve College. In an interesting instance of multi-tasking, Pierce served as Mayor of Hudson in 1851-52. During his 21-year tenure as Western Reserve College's president, enrollment doubled (from 58 to 120), the size of the faculty more than tripled (from 4 to 14), and tuition was raised from $20 to $30.

Nearly 30 years after Pierce resigned from WRC, the College moved from Hudson to Cleveland and changed its name to Adelbert College of Western Reserve University. In 1882 there were 4 buildings: the classroom and office building, the dormitory, the president’s house, and the privy. This 1885 map shows the Case School of Applied Science and Adelbert College campuses.

One hundred years after the beginning of his presidency, the Western Reserve University Trustees formally named the dormitory Pierce Hall. It had ceased being used as a dormitory some years earlier. In fact, Pierce Hall had a variety of names (Adelbert Hall, Adelbert Dorm, Pierce-Cutler Hall) and a variety of occupants (Schools of Law, Library Science, and Architecture, numerous fraternities and academic departments) and was pressed into service during both WWI and WWII as a residence for military trainees. Pierce Hall was razed in 1960 to make room for the Millis Science Center, now part of the Agnar Pytte Center for Science Education and Research.

But in 1964 President Pierce was again honored when one of the new men’s north side residences was named Pierce House. The citation reads, “For his self-sacrifice and devotion, his unyielding honesty, fidelity and untiring perseverance for the College.”

Posted by jmt3 at 07:29 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

November 11, 2011

Namesakes - T. Keith Glennan and Glennan Space Engineering Building

02209D1 copy.jpg
Glennan Space Engineering Building

T. Keith Glennan was fourth president of Case Institute of Technology. He served from 1947 to 1966 with 2 leaves of absence for government service: commissioner with the Atomic Energy Commission (1950-1952) and first administrator of NASA (1958-1961).

Glennan came to Case Institute via a different path from most college and university presidents. He was a businessman not an academic. However, he had a successful presidency by a number of measurements: increased enrollment; increased faculty size; 2 successful fundraising campaigns; expanded physical plant; curricular revisions; increase in grant-funded research. He was also instrumental in closer cooperation with Western Reserve University and work leading to Federation. He was popular with the campus and local community and the students held a Students Salute Keith Glennan Day on May 14, 1965.

02121D1 copy.jpg
T. Keith Glennan cuts the ribbon at the Glennan Building dedication, 1/9/1969

On January 9, 1969 CWRU dedicated the Glennan Space Engineering Building. NASA contributed over $2 million to the $4 million cost of the eight-story building. The Austin Company was the designer and engineer, Albert M. Higley Company was the general contractor, and Kilroy Structural Steel Company was the fabricator and erector of the steel frame. The Glennan Building originally housed aerospace research activities, electrical science research, chemical engineering, plasma physics, solid-state micro-electronics and laser research. These types of research were expected to provide a closer link between the university and personnel of NASA Lewis Research Center (now NASA Glenn Research Center at Lewis Field). The building is currently home to the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science and the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, which has current research programs with the NASA Glenn Research Center.

A stainless steel mural by artist Buell Mullen was installed in the 3rd floor lobby of the Glennan Building at the dedication. The 6’ x 9’ foot mural, Challenge of Space, was commissioned in honor of President Glennan. It is currently installed in the Canavin Room, a 4th floor conference room. Another Mullen mural, The Unlimited Horizons of Youth in the Eternal Quest for Knowledge, is in the lobby of Strosacker Auditorium.

Posted by hxy2 at 02:19 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

November 04, 2011

WRC in the Civil War - “Sojering” - part 2

We continue with part 2 of the account of the Civil War service of Western Reserve College students. This account appeared in the December 1862 issue of the student newspaper, Western Reserve Souvenir.

“In the latter part of August an arrangement was made for the exchange of all the prisoners of war then confined at Camp Chase. Our company was selected to conduct them to their place of destination, Vicksburg, Mississippi.

We started from Camp, Tuesday, Aug. 26th, having under our charge about one thousand sesesh, whom we were to take to Cairo, and then transfer them to the fleet that was to take them down the river. While on our way we had excellent opportunities for viewing the beautiful scenery in Southern Ohio, and the boundless prairies and interminable swamps of Indiana and Illinois. We arrived at Cairo after a tiresome journey of two days and nights, and then embarked with our sesesh friends on the steamer Champion, one of the largest and swiftest boats on the river.

We started the same day and slowly made our way through the continuous bends and shallows of the father of waters. We passed many points of interest; Columbus, Island No. 10, which so long succeeded in baffling all the attempts of our gun boats to take it; Memphis, one of the most beautiful cities of the south; Fort Pillow, and Helena, where the entire army of Major General Curtis lay encamped. After twelve days we came in sight of the steeples of Vicksburg, but were not allowed to approach the city. Here, much to our relief, we bade farewell to the rebels and started back to Cairo, arriving without any mishaps, save a slight skirmish with the enemy, who were soon put to flight by a few shells from the gun boats which accompanied us. On the 26th of September we were mustered out of the service of Uncle Sam, and hastened to our homes and friends to spend a short vacation before entering again upon our studies.

The recollections of this little episode in our life will be both pleasant and sad. We have to mourn the loss of two of our fellow-students, N.D. Gilbert, Class of ‘64, and J.C. Packard, Class of ‘65, the latter taken away suddenly from our midst, the former died after lingering for a long time. We shall cherish them in our memories as those who sacrificed their prospects and all that was dear to them in the service of their country.”

Posted by jmt3 at 06:42 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack