March 02, 2012
Namesakes - Bingham Building and Charles William Bingham
The Charles William Bingham Mechanical Engineering Building, commonly referred to as the Bingham Building, is the oldest building on campus used for engineering teaching and research. It was originally constructed in 1926 and 1927 for the Mechanical Engineering department by the Sam W. Emerson Company. Wilbur J. Watson and Associates was the architect. Both Sam Emerson and Wilbur Watson were alumni of Case School of Applied Science. It was built behind the original building used by the Mechanical Engineering department, the Mechanical Laboratory. It is now used by the Civil Engineering department and Centers of The Case School of Engineering.
Charles William Bingham (1846-1929) was born in Cleveland. He graduated from Yale University and went into the family business, the W. Bingham Co., eventually becoming president. He was a trustee of Case School of Applied Science 1899-1929 and Western Reserve University 1901-1922. He was a philanthropist who made his gifts anonymously, supporting several institutions like the Cleveland Museum of Art and Lakeside Hospital, in addition to Case. The gift of $500,000 he made to Case for the building was a challenge grant seeking another $500,000 from other donors. A gift from his son, William Bingham, II, provided endowment for the maintenance of the building. His daughter, Frances Payne Bolton, congresswoman and namesake of the Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing, also made a gift for an addition to the Bingham Building in 1940.
2 views of the Bingham Building
Posted by hxy2 at March 2, 2012 09:51 PM
TrackBack URL for this entry: