July 05, 2012
In May 2012, CWRU celebrated the formal groundbreaking for the new Tinkham Veale University Center.
Any new building seems to prompt questions about previous buildings used for the same purpose. Here, then, is a brief sketch of the university’s previous student centers.
1897 Eldred Hall
Adelbert College’s first student center featured an assembly room, meeting rooms, and a reading room containing popular literature. Over time a snack bar was added and space was leased to a barber.
1914 Haydn Hall
Originally planned as a study and recreation facility for the College for Women’s commuter students, Haydn was pressed into service as a dormitory when it opened in 1902. Beginning in 1914, it served a dual purpose as a student union and residence.
1915 Case Club
A former church, the building was purchased in 1913 and served as Case School of Applied Science’s first student center. It included a gymnasium, pool, bowling alley, dining room, and offices.
1947 Tomlinson Hall
Dedicated in 1948, Tomlinson included a library, lounge, ballroom, faculty dining room, cafeteria, gameroom, and offices for student clubs and organizations, as well as the Case Alumni Association.
1956 Thwing Hall
In 1929 WRU purchased the building from the Excelsior Club, a private men’s club. Thwing Hall served as the university’s library until Freiberger Library was built in 1956. At that time the building was converted into a student union.
1980 Charles F. Thwing Student Center
In 1972 the student center was re-conceived as incorporating Thwing Hall and Hitchcock Hall. In 1979 the Atrium joining the two buildings was constructed and significant remodeling was completed. The new student center was re-dedicated in 1980.
Posted by jmt3 at July 5, 2012 06:09 PM
TrackBack URL for this entry: