July 31, 2013
Case Western Reserve University Fundraising Campaigns
Since the university is in the midst of a $1 billion fundraising campaign, Forward Thinking: The Campaign for Case Western Reserve University, we thought it would be interesting to look at past university-wide campaigns.
The first campaign was the Resources Campaign. It was a 5-year campaign (1976-1981) raising funds for endowment, facilities, and current programs. Planning for Resources started shortly after Federation in 1967. On December 12, 1973 the Board of Trustees adopted a resolution authorizing the Trustees Resources Committee to plan a major fundraising campaign. During the early planning and fundraising stages, Resources was known as Operation Rainbow. The $215 million goal included $200 million for CWRU, $10 mlllion for University Hospitals, and $5 million for University Circle, Inc. Curtis Lee Smith, Adelbert College class of 1923 and trustee, was the national chairman. The campaign formally began February 15, 1976, the sesquicentennial of the university. It officially ended June 30, 1981 with a total attainment of $215,137,371.
Curtis Lee Smith, President Louis A. Toepfer, and Elaine Hadden hold up the banner announcing the campaign total at the closing celebration
The second university campaign was the Campaign for Case Western Reserve University. It was a 5-year campaign raising $350 million for endowment, buildings and equipment, and current support of programs. The advance gifts phase began in 1987. The Board of Trustees authorized its Development and Alumni Affairs Committee to plan a campaign at its March 1988 meeting. Marts & Lundy, Inc. (fundraising consultants) was retained to conduct a feasibility study, the report of which was made to the Board in April 1989. Formal approval was made in June and the public announcement was October 1989. President Agnar Pytte with national campaign co-chairs Richard Derbes (Case Institute of Technology class of 1968 and trustee) and Karen Horn (trustee) led the campaign to a successful conclusion in June 1994 with final attainment of $416,518,332. Alumni support more than tripled during the campaign, from $6.4 million in 1988 to $27.8 million in 1994. Over $213 million was raised for current programs, over $133 million for endowment (31 new professorships and 167 new funds for student support), and nearly $70 million for buildings and equipment.
Campaign for CWRU brochure
The first 2 campaigns for CWRU were successful. With $80 million in new commitments announced at the October 2011 public launch of Forward Thinking, along with the $660 million raised during the quiet phase, the current campaign looks to repeat the successes of past campaigns.
July 03, 2013
Namesakes - Van Horn Field and Frank “Count” Van Horn
On the left, Frank Rodman and Frank R. Van Horn, 1931; on the right, Van Horn Field, around 1924.
The “father of athletics at Case,” Francis R. Van Horn became President of the Case Athletic Association in 1900. At that time the football program was expected to cover its expenses through ticket sales. As the season records of the previous several years were 3/5/0, 3/3/2, and 0/5/2, fans were not flocking to the games and many who attended did not buy tickets. Van Horn solved the freeloader problem by enlisting students to put up a fence around the field. With sufficient funds, Van Horn’s next step, in 1902, was to hire Joseph Wentworth as football coach. The first three Wentworth seasons Case’s record was 6/3/0, 8/1/0, 7/2/0.
Van Horn's management of the football program was so successful that the treasury had amassed $27,000 by 1913. This sum, plus additional funds contributed by students and alumni, supported purchase and remodeling of a church at E. 107th and Deering. The Case Club, as it was named, was the first Case student center.
Van Horn was also a notable scholar. His B.S and M.S. were awarded by Rutgers in 1892 and 1893 and his doctorate was awarded by Heidelberg University in 1897. He was elected to Phi Beta Kappa and was awarded the honorary Doctor of Science by Rutgers in 1919. He was hired in 1897 by Case School of Applied Science as Instructor in Natural History and Mining. Two years later he was promoted to Assistant Professor Geology and Mineralogy. In 1902 he was promoted to Professor of Geology and Mineralogy, a position he held until his death in 1933.
He traveled widely, on his own and accompanying students on practice term trips, and collected a 10,000-sample rock and mineral collection, fully cataloged at his death. Professor Van Horn was secretary and fellow of the Mineralogical Society of America, a fellow of the Geological Society of America, life fellow of the Ohio Academy of Science, fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and and Trustee of the Cleveland Museum of Natural History. He published journal articles in geology and mineralogy.
Van Horn’s nickname, “The Count,” was bestowed upon him by the Case students because of his goatee and somewhat brisk and stiff mannerisms acquired during his studies in Germany. The goatee he shaved in 1925 in honor of Case’s defeat of arch-rival Western Reserve University in the annual Thanksgiving Day football game - after 13 consecutive losses. The nickname he kept for the rest of his life.
The esteem in which he was held by Case is evidenced by the many tributes. The 1925 student yearbook was dedicated, “To Dr. Frank Robertson Van Horn in recognition of his frank and friendly attitude towards the students and his untiring efforts to make Case athletics a success, we dedicate the 1925 Differential.” the Van Horn Alumni Scholarship was established in 1934, the library and conference room in the Metallurgy Building was dedicated to him in 1953, the newly renovated athletic field was renamed Van Horn Field in 1958.