« October 2013 | Main | December 2013 »

November 26, 2013

60th Anniversary of Last Case vs. WRU Thanksgiving Day Football Game

Today marks the 60th anniversary of the last Thanksgiving Day football game between Case Institute of Technology and Western Reserve University.

Thanksgiving Day 1953 was a cold windy day. The crowd was estimated at 7,500-10,000. The venue was Clarke Field of WRU (currently the lot 53 garage and all the space from Adelbert Gym to the railroad tracks, but not the space behind Bingham Building which was Van Horn Field).

03789D1 copy.jpg
Cartoon on front page of Reserve Tribune, 11/24/1953

Case scored first on a pass from quarterback Walt Pavlick to Charles Dykes. Reserve scored 15 seconds later on a kickoff return by Dick Delaney and Gordon McCarter’s conversion. Case scored again after Denny Pardee’s 56 yard run set up Ed Rate’s touchdown and extra point. End of the first quarter: Case 13 Reserve 7

Red Cat Ron Davidoff blocked a punt and it was recovered in the end zone for a touchdown by Bob Blatchford. McCarter kicked the extra point for Reserve to take the lead. Reserve then had its only sustained drive on the day chewing up 63 yards in 12 plays with Delaney scoring again followed by McCarter’s extra point. End of second quarter: Reserve 21 Case 13

Gene Strathman recovered a Pavlick fumble. Reserve scored again on a pass from Delaney to Roger Bryant. McCarter was good for the extra point. Pardee had to punt for Case and Dick Mann fielded the punt going 75 yards for the score. McCarter kicked the extra point for Reserve’s final point of the season. (McCarter finished the season with 16 points-after-touchdown in 16 tries). End of third quarter: Reserve 35 Case 13

The only score in the fourth quarter was a Pavlick touchdown from the seven. Final: Reserve 35 Case 19.

Reserve finished the season with a 5-3-1 record, the best in a decade. Case finished the season with a 1-7 record.

Less than 2 months later, on 1/8/1954 President Glennan announced that Case would drop football from Case’s intercollegiate sports program. This ended the traditional Thanksgiving Day football game. Though Case resumed intercollegiate football in the fall of 1955 and rekindled the rivalry with Reserve, they no longer played on Thanksgiving Day.

After Glennan’s announcement, the Case students staged a mock funeral for football. According to the 1/15/1954 Case Tech, “A flower car, hearse and students assembled at Van Horn Field, proceeded over Adelbert and Euclid to the front entrance and from there to the final resting place across from Tomlinson Hall. With football players as pall bearers, to the strains of a dirge, ‘Mr. Touchdown’ was laid in state and finally to rest. A drum roll sounded and a flight of cadets saluted as the ball was lowered to the grave. All was again silent. A harsh command of the flight officer dismissed the honor guard.”

00920D1 copy.jpg
Funeral for Case football

You can read accounts of the season and this game in the Reserve 1954 yearbook, Eos, and the Case 1954 yearbook, Differential. Both yearbooks are available as fully-searchable PDF files via Digital Case. We advise downloading the PDF file and then opening it.

Enjoy more stories of the traditional Thanksgiving Day Case-Reserve game from 2010, 2011 and 2012 blog entries.

Posted by hxy2 at 07:37 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

November 22, 2013

University convocation in memory of John F. Kennedy

Today we join with the nation in remembering and honoring President John F. Kennedy upon the 50th anniversary of his assassination. After the initial shock and formal ceremonies in Washington, Western Reserve University held its own memorial for the president.

On Tuesday morning, November 26, at 11:00 a.m. a University Convocation in memory of John F. Kennedy was held in Amasa Stone Chapel. President John S. Millis presided. Rabbi Benjamin Leon Marcus, Director of B’nai B’rith Hillel Foundation, opened the service with an invocation followed by the congregation singing America, the Beautiful. Reverend Robert W. Clarke, Director of the Student Christian Union, offered a prayer. The address (Download file) was given by Clarence H. Cramer, Professor of History and Dean of Adelbert College. Reverend John Joseph Kilcoyne, Diocesan Director, Newman Clubs, gave the benediction. Music was performed by the University Singers under the direction of Donald Joseph Shetler, Associate Professor of Music. Walter Blodgett, Curator of Musical Arts at the Cleveland Museum of Art, provided the organ music.

KennedyMemorial_poster copy.jpg

It was highly unusual for the university to hold a convocation in honor of a non-university individual. The next such event was in 1968 after the assassination of Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

The Reserve Tribune (student newspaper) in the 12/5/1963 edition published this editorial,

“JFK, a doer

“It is hoped the tragic death of John F. Kennedy will not end the recognition given the the New Frontier to American cultural arts.

“The Kennedys during their three years in the White House focused national attention on poetry, art, music, dance, literature and theatre.

“John Kennedy expanded the concept of presidential leadership to include the creativity of the American man in the areas of the Liberal Arts.

“In doing so, he has set a precedent which must be continued if the office of the President of the United States is to be truly representative of the nation.”

Posted by hxy2 at 02:59 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

November 13, 2013

Inscriptions on Campus Buildings

Several of our early twentieth century campus buildings display inscriptions. Three of these, on Mather Memorial, Harkness Chapel, and the original home of the Law School on Adelbert Road, were taken from the Bible. All three buildings shared the same architect, Charles Schweinfurth and were built within 15 years of each other.

00029D1.jpg
The inscription on the Law School building, just below the main cornice, is related to the discipline of law: "And thou shalt teach them ordinances and laws, and shalt show them the way wherein they must walk, and the work that they must do." - Exodus 18:20

The Mather Memorial and Harkness Chapel inscriptions honor the women for whom the buildings were named. Flora Stone Mather and Florence Harkness Severance were noted philanthropists. Both buildings were gifts from their families as memorials.

00096D1.jpg
The inscription which encircles the top of the Mather Memorial Building is from Proverbs 31: 10-12, 20, 26-31. "Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies. The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil. She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life... She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; Yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy....She openeth her mouth with wisdom: and in her tongue is the law of kindness. She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth no the bread of idleness. Her children arise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her. Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excelleth them all. Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain; but a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised. Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates...Glory to be to the father and to the son and to the holy ghost"

00793D1.jpg
The Harkness Chaple inscription, below the stained glass window on the north face, is from Proverbs 31:31. "Her works praise her in the gates."

Posted by jmt3 at 08:55 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack