August 27, 2014
Case Institute of Technology Fundraising Campaigns
As we celebrate the success of our university-wide fundraising campaign, we can look back on other successful campaigns.
Case Institute of Technology’s first campaign was spurred by a major gift. In October 1925, trustee Charles W. Bingham offered a $500,000 gift if the school could raise an additional $500,000. The funds supported the construction and maintenance of the mechanical engineering building, increases in faculty salaries, and establishment of the Alumni Endowment Fund. The second campaign, the Endowment and Building Fund Campaign planned to raise $5 million in five years (1937-1942), but was cancelled in 1940 due to the uncertain conditions.
Though Case Institute of Technology had several campaigns before World War II, fundraising became a higher priority in the 1950s. Several successive campaigns included the Diamond Jubilee Campaign, the $6,500,000 Building Fund Campaign, and the $17 million Capital Campaign.
Diamond Jubilee Campaign celebration
The 3 year Diamond Jubilee Campaign was held 1952-1955. Over $1 million was raised for building construction and over $1 million was raised for operations, scholarships, and other purposes. Buildings constructed from the campaign included the William E. Wickenden Electrical Engineering Building. The $6,500,000 Building Fund Campaign (1957-1959) raised over $8.3 million for buildings, which included Lester M. and Ruth P. Sears Library-Humanities Building and Strosacker Auditorium.
The last campaign, the $17 million Capital Campaign, was planned before Federation but carried out between 1967 and 1970. Funds were raised for land acquisition, construction, and renovation for student housing and academic buildings. These projects included the Glennan Space Engineering Building and the Carlton Road dormitory complex.
See our past blog posting about CWRU fundraising campaigns for more campaign information.
Posted by hxy2 at August 27, 2014 12:17 PM
TrackBack URL for this entry: