August 27, 2014
Case Institute of Technology Fundraising Campaigns
As we celebrate the success of our university-wide fundraising campaign, we can look back on other successful campaigns.
Case Institute of Technology’s first campaign was spurred by a major gift. In October 1925, trustee Charles W. Bingham offered a $500,000 gift if the school could raise an additional $500,000. The funds supported the construction and maintenance of the mechanical engineering building, increases in faculty salaries, and establishment of the Alumni Endowment Fund. The second campaign, the Endowment and Building Fund Campaign planned to raise $5 million in five years (1937-1942), but was cancelled in 1940 due to the uncertain conditions.
Though Case Institute of Technology had several campaigns before World War II, fundraising became a higher priority in the 1950s. Several successive campaigns included the Diamond Jubilee Campaign, the $6,500,000 Building Fund Campaign, and the $17 million Capital Campaign.
Diamond Jubilee Campaign celebration
The 3 year Diamond Jubilee Campaign was held 1952-1955. Over $1 million was raised for building construction and over $1 million was raised for operations, scholarships, and other purposes. Buildings constructed from the campaign included the William E. Wickenden Electrical Engineering Building. The $6,500,000 Building Fund Campaign (1957-1959) raised over $8.3 million for buildings, which included Lester M. and Ruth P. Sears Library-Humanities Building and Strosacker Auditorium.
The last campaign, the $17 million Capital Campaign, was planned before Federation but carried out between 1967 and 1970. Funds were raised for land acquisition, construction, and renovation for student housing and academic buildings. These projects included the Glennan Space Engineering Building and the Carlton Road dormitory complex.
See our past blog posting about CWRU fundraising campaigns for more campaign information.
August 08, 2014
“No Butts About It...” Campus Smoking Bans
Prompted by Cleveland City Council’s February 1987 passage of the Clean Indoor Air Ordinance limiting smoking in public places, CWRU enacted phase one of its no-smoking poiicy on August 16, 1987. Cigarette vending machines were removed and retail cigarette sales ended. Smoking was prohibited inside buildings except in food service facilities, employee and student lounges, waiting rooms, and lobbies. Smoking in residence hall rooms was up to the students. Smoking was still permitted in private offices. Additional designated smoking areas were created.
Two years later, August 14, 1989, phase two prohibited smoking inside all campus buildings. Again, smoking in residence hall rooms was left up to the students. Smoking on campus grounds was still permitted. To help smokers, CWRU offered University Hospitals Smoke Stoppers program at a discount.
So the situation remained until, in 2006, Ohio voters passed the Smoke Free Workplace Act, expanding no-smoking public areas. The Act primarily described the kinds of spaces in which smoking was prohibited. It also required posting no smoking signs and removing ashtrays and “other receptacles used for disposing of smoking materials.” In response, CWRU banned smoking in all buildings. The residence hall exception ended. Campus grounds and walkways became smoke-free, with the exception of designated smoking areas.
Smoking in public went from common to a near-total ban in 20 years. I don’t know if that change is fast or slow, but it is big. The somewhat irreverent, "No Butts About It" title was used by Campus News to announce the 1987 and 1989 policies.