December 16, 2016
“Adelbert at last to have Modern Lights - Fight for Electric Lighting System Finally Wins Out”
So read a small headline in the 12/17/1919 issue of The Reserve Weekly. The article read,
“When the fathers of Western Reserve University placed the word, ‘Lux’ on the emblem which has come down to us, they meant it as a motto, but it turned out to be a prophecy. After years of dark and gloomy waiting, lights are now to dispel the gloom that hangs over winter eight-fifteens. No longer will the ponderous brass structures used as chandeliers hang threateningly over the heads of sleepy students, for a new era of electric lights has arrived.
“Promises of lights have come regularly for the last few years, but, this time, wires, fixtures, and numerous electricians prove that the lights are almost here. Most of the wiring is done, so that it will be but a short time before the mere pressure of a button will flood a dark room with light.”
At the 10/13/1919 meeting of the Western Reserve University Board of Trustees, the trustees approved the measure, “Upon the recommendation of the Treasurer, it was voted that the electric light wiring equipment, be completed in the second, third and fourth floors of Adelbert College Building at an estimated cost of $2005.44.”
Posted by hxy2 at December 16, 2016 08:32 PM
TrackBack URL for this entry: