« On This Day in CWRU History: July | Main | Namesakes - Nassau Astronomical Station and Jason J. Nassau »

August 14, 2017

On This Day in CWRU History: August

Below is month two of our list of significant dates in CWRU’s history. We make no claims that the list is comprehensive and invite suggestions of other dates to include.

03787D1.jpg 02867D1.jpg
Flooded Sears Library, 1975 (left); Installing the second Hudson Relay rock, 1980 (right)

August 2
(1832) Elizur J. Wright, Jr., a faculty member at Western Reserve College, wrote the first in a series of letters to a Hudson, Ohio newspaper advocating the immediate emancipation of American slaves.

August 4
(1992) CWRU Trustee Executive Committee approved naming the new biomedical research building for former Ohio governor, Richard F. Celeste.
(1992) CWRU Trustee Executive Committee approved purchase of Aquatech, now known as the Cedar Avenue Service Building.

August 5
(1974) CWRU Trustee Executive Committee approved establishment of the Department of Famliy Medicine.

August 8
(1978) Alumna and future Congresswoman Stephanie Tubbs Jones was elected to the CWRU Board of Overseers

August 9
(1983) It was reported to the Trustees Executive Committee that CWRU's endowment portfolio passed the $200 million mark.

August 10
(1967) A $500 gift from the Adelbert Student Council established the William Powell Jones endowment fund to purchase books for the University Library.
(1988) CWRU Trustee Executive Committee voted to restore the practice of regularly awarding honorary degrees.

August 11
(1970) CWRU Trustee Executive Committee approved an affiliation agreement between the Medical School and St. Luke's and Mt. Sinai hospitals.

August 13
(1973) When the books closed on FY1973 it became the first year since Federation in 1967 without a deficit. A surplus of $32,000 was reported.

August 14
(1922) Groundbreaking ceremories were held for the new School of Medicine building in University Circle, later named the Harland Goff Wood Building.

August 16
(1985) Bank-In-a-Box, containing two automated teller machines, opened for business outside Thwing Center.
(1987) Phase 2 of CWRU's smoking ban stopped smoking inside all campus buildings - except residence halls. Details

August 17
(1994) The electrochemical sciences program was named the Ernest B. Yeager Center for Electrochemical Sciences.

August 18
(1986) CWRU Trustee Executive Committee approved establishment of Bachelor of Science in Computer Science & Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics degree programs.

August 19
(1975) Among completed summer campus facilities projects reported to Trustees: 1,900 peepholes installed in dormitory doors.

August 20
(1996) It was reported to the Trustees that the total CWRU endowment passed the $1 billion mark.

August 21
(1980) The second Hudson Relay Rock, a gift of Dr. Leonard Skeggs, was installed. Winning teams were honored by recording their class years on the rocks.
(1985) Jennings Computing Center announced a new service: a KERMIT software lending library. KERMIT was a collection of programs for personal computers and mainframes that allowed high-speed, error-free file transfers.

August 22
(1836) Western Reserve College Trustees resolved that "freedom of discussion ... is allowed the students in all subjects" and that the College would admit "young men of decent talents...without distinction of nation, denomination or complexion.”

August 23
(1837) The Western Reserve College Alumni Association was established.
(1993) CWRU's academic year began with an enrollment of 9,276. Undergraduate tuition was $15,200. 66% of freshmen were men and 34% were women.
(1993) The School of Medicine provided each first year medical student with an Apple PowerBook.

August 24
(1836) Missionary Hiram Allen Babcock was granted an honorary Master of Arts degree, the first honorary degree awarded by Western Reserve University.
(1975) A flash flood dumped over 4 feet of water in the basement of Sears library and over 6 feet into Wickenden, causing nearly $1 million in damage.
(1979) New students arrived on campus in the midst of an RTA strike. The University transported them to campus in shuttle buses from the airport.

August 25
(1830) Four years after its founding, Western Reserve College held commencement exercises for its first graduating class of four students.
(1831) Charles Preston, an 1830 graduate of Western Reserve College, was the first alumnus hired to teach at Western Reserve College.
(1989) Freshman James Gerber "became the first person at the University to be connected to CWRUnet."

August 26
(1830) The Trustees elected Charles Backus Storrs the first President of Western Reserve College.
(1834) George E. Pierce was inaugurated as Western Reserve College's second president.
(1985) CWRU's academic year began with an enrollment of 8,261. Undergraduate tuition was $8300. 73% of freshmen were men and 27% were women.
(1986) The 9-1/2 inch telescope, formerly housed in the Warner & Swasey Observatory on Taylor Road, was placed on top of the Smith Building as part of a new student observatory.

August 27
(1828) Western Reserve College, which did not have a graduating class for two more years, held a public commencement celebrating its two years of existence.
(1834) Four students each received the Master of Arts degree, the first awarded at Western Reserve College.
(1979) First Doctor of Nursing (N.D.) students began classes at Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing.

August 29
(1890) The Trustees elected Charles Franklin Thwing the sixth president of Western Reserve University. Thwing was the longest-serving president at either Case Institute of Technology or Western Reserve University.

01136D1.jpg 01377D1.jpg
Allen Smith, Jr. portrait of George Pierce (left); Herman Gustav Herkomer painting of Charles F. Thwing (right)

On This Day in CWRU History: July

Posted by jmt3 at August 14, 2017 02:10 PM

Trackback Pings

TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://blog.case.edu/archives/mt-tb.cgi/27941

Comments

Post a comment




Remember Me?

(you may use HTML tags for style)