« Namesakes - Nassau Astronomical Station and Jason J. Nassau | Main | Namesakes - Harland G. Wood and Wood Building »

September 05, 2017

On This Day in CWRU History: September

Below is month three of our list of significant dates in CWRU’s history. We make no claims that the list is comprehensive and invite suggestions of other dates to include.

01041D1.jpg 01623D1.jpg
Claud Foster Hall moved to its new location, 1968 (left); Mary Chisholm Painter Arch (right)

September 2
1970 CWRU held its last September commencement ceremony.
1971 The newly merged CWRU men’s cross-country team defeated Hiram College, 19-42.

September 4
1973 A wide area telephone service (WATS) line was installed for the first time at CWRU.
1985 New 10-megabit Ethernet network connected the computing systems of 4 CWRU facilities and helped link CWRU users to computing systems around the world. The network allowed remote log-in, file transfers, and electronic mail.

September 5
1969 The first issue of the CWRU student newspaper, The Observer, made its debut. Intended as an all-CWRU newspaper, its name was chosen by a contest in the spring of 1969. George O. Siekkinen won the contest and received a Polaroid camera from Wade Drug.

September 6
1888 First classes were held by Western Reserve University's Cleveland College for Women, renamed Flora Stone Mather College in 1931.
1973 CWRU Trustees approved Cleveland Landmarks status for Mary Chisholm Painter Memorial Gateway.
1988 A convocation was held to formally acknowledge the naming of the School of Applied Social Sciences in honor of the Mandel family.

September 7
1882 Western Reserve University welcomed undergraduates to the "First Academical Term" in its new University Circle home.
1957 Dedication ceremonies were held for the Nassau Astronomical Station in Montville, Ohio. The station was named for long-time Case Institute of Technology faculty member Jason J. Nassau.

September 8
1967 First commencement convocation of the newly federated CWRU was held.
1996 The Kelvin Smith Library was dedicated.

September 9
1969 CWRU opened its first co-ed dormitories at Andrews House, East House and Mather House.

September 12
1949 Case Institute of Technology held its first week long freshmen orientation.

September 13
1892 First classes were held by Western Reserve University's School of Dentistry.
1913 Flora Stone Mather Memorial Building was dedicated. It became the main administration building for Western Reserve University's Flora Stone Mather College, the undergraduate college for women.
1953 Western Reserve University's student dormitory Claud Foster Hall was dedicated.

September 14
1885 Case School of Applied Science classes met for the first time in University Circle in the old Case Main Building.
1994 Peter R. Musselman Quadrangle, bounded by Amasa Stone Chapel, Adelbert Hall, Eldred Hall, and the eastern edge of the Kent Smith Quadrangle, was dedicated. Musselman was University Vice President and Treasurer, 1969-1986.

September 15
1881 Case School of Applied Science began its first "regular course of study."
1995 Adelbert Hall was named a National Historic Chemical site. Edward Morley, a Western Reserve University faculty member, conducted experiments in Adelbert Hall between 1883 and 1894, which determined the atomic weight of oxygen and hydrogen.

September 16
1968 Students moved into Claud Foster Hall, the 3300-ton dormitory, which had recently been moved 100 yards east on Euclid Avenue from its location west of Thwing Center to a location east of Thwing Center.
1994 Dedication ceremonies for the Kent Hale Smith Engineering and Science Building were held.

September 17
1951 Western Reserve University became the first American university to offer regular university courses for credit in a combination of television broadcast and home study.
1952 First classes were held by Western Reserve University's School of Business.
1983 CWRU women's varsity cross country team ran its first meet, competing against Allegheny College.

September 18
1967 CWRU's first academic year began.

September 19
1916 First classes were held by Western Reserve University's School of Applied Social Sciences.
1960 Four women were part of the Case Institute of Technology's freshmen class, breaking an 80 year tradition of accepting men only. A few women had attended Case before 1960, but were exceptions to the men only rule.

September 20
1880 Following four years of discussion, negotiations, and debate, the Trustees, by a vote of 14-2, approved the removal of Western Reserve College to Cleveland from Hudson.

September 21
1995 The George S. Dively Building was dedicated.

September 22
1892 First classes were held by Western Reserve University's Franklin Thomas Backus School of Law.
1903 First classes were held by Western Reserve University's School of Library Science.

September 24
1963 Groundbreaking ceremonies were held for Western Reserve University's Adelbert I dormitory complex, consisting of Cutler, Hitchcock, Pierce and Storrs Houses, and Leutner Commons.

September 25
1923 First classes were held by Western Reserve University's School of Nursing.

September 26
1970 The new CWRU football team played its first game, losing to Allegheny College, 20-3. Case Institute of Technology and Western Reserve University fielded separate football teams for three seasons after the schools merged in 1967.
1984 Under coach Nancy Gray, CWRU women's varsity soccer team played its first match, losing to Oberlin College at home, 6-1.

September 29
1862 Company B of the 85th Ohio Volunteeer Infantry, raised from the students and faculty of Western Reserve College, was mustered out of the Union Army.
1917 Case School of Applied Science played Ohio State University in football for the final time, losing 49-0. Case played OSU 22 times between 1894 and 1917, compiling a record of 11 wins, 9 losses and 2 ties.
1925 First classes were held by Western Reserve University's Cleveland College.
1971 Under head coach Gerry Harbak, the newly merged CWRU men’s soccer team lost to John Carroll University, 1-0.

September 30
1903 The first issue of the Case Tech, the Case School of Applied Science student newspaper, was published.
1999 Cleveland Free-Net was discontinued. Free-Net, which originated at CWRU, was the nation's first free, open-access community computer system.

00986D1_Reserve1882.jpg Observer_1969-09-05_p1.jpg
“To Cleveland or Bust” student sentiment in the 1883 Reserve yearbook (left); Front page of the first issue of The Observer (right)

On This Day in CWRU HIstory: July
On This Day in CWRU HIstory: August

Posted by jmt3 at September 5, 2017 02:17 PM

Trackback Pings

TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://blog.case.edu/archives/mt-tb.cgi/27944

Comments

Post a comment




Remember Me?

(you may use HTML tags for style)