« September 2017 | Main

October 11, 2017

On This Day in CWRU History: October

00052D1.jpg 00617D1.jpg
left-right: Case Main after 1886 fire; Philozetian Society membership certificate, 1868

Below is month four of our list of significant dates in CWRU’s history. We make no claims that the list is comprehensive and invite suggestions of other dates to include.

October 1
1917 The Dental School moved to University Circle, from downtown, holding the first classes in its newly purchased building on Adelbert Road.
1918 In response to the United States' entry into World War I, the Student Army Training Corps at Case School of Applied Science began induction of students.
1948 As reported by Western Reserve University's newspaper, Reserve Tribune, the 30 year old fence separating WRU and Case Institute of Technology was removed. Timber from the fence was burned at the Case-WRU bonfire before their annual football game.

October 2
1961 Cornerstone ceremonies were held for the John Schoff Millis Science Center.

October 3
1827 Western Reserve College held its first classes in Hudson.
1881 First regular classes at Case School of Applied Science opened in downtown Cleveland with 16 students in attendance. Classrooms were in the former residence of the Case family and a laboratory was set up in the barn.
1903 As reported by Case School of Applied Science student newspaper, Case Tech, a five year combined degree program at Case and Western Reserve University was established in the fall of 1903.
1972 As reported in The Observer, Vis-a-Vis was chosen as the name through a "Name the Yearbook" contest for the first all-CWRU yearbook.

October 4
1826 Classes for the newly founded Western Reserve College began in nearby Tallmadge Academy with a freshmen class of three men.
1987 Agnar Pytte was inaugurated as CWRU's fourth president.

October 5
1908 Western Reserve University Trustees approved an affiliation with the Cleveland School of Pharmacy.
1967 CWRU trustees approved the university's first affirmative action/equal employment opportunity for minorities program.
1968 First football game played at the newly opened Edward L. Finnigan Playing Fields. Western Reserve University lost to Grove City College, 14-11.
2001 The Agnar Pytte Center for Science Education and Research was dedicated.
2004 CWRU hosted a nationally televised vice presidential debate between John Edwards and Dick Cheney.

October 6
1951 Justice John H. Clarke Field re-opened on the Western Reserve University campus after major renovations. The field had been used by WRU for athletics since 1891.
1951 Case Institute of Technology held its first "Band Day." Alumni bandsmen joined the band for its pre-game and half-time shows. The Case band's six foot drum made its first appearance on the gridiron since the 1930s.

October 7
1929 Dedication ceremonies for the Institute of Pathology were held.
1973 Kent Smith Quadrangle, the former Case Institute of Technology quad, was dedicated.
1986 Art in the Circle, a campus art consignment shop, opened in the basement of Tomlinson Hall.
1989 Tyler House sponsored its first annual "Jello Jam." 1000 pounds of cherry Jello was used for Jello "wrestling, twister, sliding, snarfing, sliming and stupid human Jello tricks."

04014D1.jpg
Case WWI Student Army Training Corps marching on campus

October 8
1997 CWRU Board of Trustees celebrated 25 consecutive years of a balanced budget.

October 9
1924 Dedication ceremonies for the School of Medicine's new University Circle home were held. In 1992, the building was named for former faculty member Harland G. Wood.
1924 Robert E. Vinson was inaugurated as Western Reserve University's seventh president.
1961 Charles M. White Metallurgy Building was dedicated. Instead of a ribbon cutting to open the building, a steel ribbon was melted.
1962 Olin Laboratory for Materials was dedicated.
2002 Dedication ceremonies were held for the Peter B. Lewis Building.

October 10
1953 Case Institute of Technology football home games returned to campus, WRU’s Clarke Field, after a 15 year absence. Case home games had been played at Shaw High School in East Cleveland.

October 13
1946 Hillel Foundation held its first meeting at Western Reserve University.
1962 The John Schoff Millis Science Center was dedicated.
1989 As reported in The Observer, a new computer lab opened in Sears Library. It featured Macintosh SEs and ImageWriter LQs. Software such as PageMaker 3.02, Hypercard, and Microsoft Word 4.0 was available. Laser printing was 25 cents per page.

October 14
1904 The Mather Advisory Council reported that "labor-saving" electric laundry machinery was installed in Guilford House for use by students. The equipment cost over $1000.
1986 Peter R. Musselman Quadrangle was named. The Quadrangle was bounded by Amasa Stone Chapel, Adelbert Hall, Eldred Hall, and the eastern edge of the Kent Smith Quadrangle (also known as the Case Quad).
1989 The groundbreaking ceremony was held for the Richard F. Celeste Biomedical Research Building.

October 15
1862 Western Reserve College's Commencement was postponed from its scheduled July 10 date due to the absence of most students fighting in the Civil War.
1912 Electric lights were installed in all classrooms in the Case Main Building.
1989 CWRU formally announced a five-year $350 million fund raising campaign called, "The Campaign for Case Western Reserve University."

October 16
1948 The first televised Case Institute of Technology football game was broadcast by WEWS-TV. Ohio Wesleyan University defeated Case, 26-13.

00726D1.jpg
Winfred Leutner and T. Keith Glennan knock down fence separating Case and WRU campuses, 1948

October 17
1969 Dedication ceremonies were held for Crawford Hall.

October 18
1922 The Case School of Applied Science newspaper, Case Tech, published parking rules for campus. The article stated that "many institutions are not allowed to park their cars on college grounds at all," and asked for "cordial" cooperation from faculty and students.

October 19
1910 Case Tech reported flaming arcs were placed on poles 45 feet high to light half of the field for football practice. These lights replaced arc lamps and reflectors.

October 20
1920 Democratic vice-presidential candidate Franklin D. Roosevelt campaigned at the Franklin Thomas Backus School of Law building on Adelbert Road.

October 21
1892 A special convocation, "The Discovery of America," was held to celebrate the 400th anniversary of the landing of Christopher Columbus.
1973 The Mather Gallery, a student art center in Thwing Hall, opened.

October 23
1987 As reported in The Observer, Sports Information director David Montgomery established a "Dial-a Sports" line for CWRU sports. Fans could get weekly updates on games played by CWRU athletic teams.

October 24
1828 Western Reserve College students established their first organization, the Philozetian Society. Activities of the Society included orations, compositions, debates, and disputes or disputations (extemporaneous debates).
1892 Clark Hall and Guilford House were dedicated. They were the first buildings on Western Reserve University's Flora Stone Mather College campus.
1986 Ground was broken for the new Weatherhead School of Management building, Enterprise Hall, later known as Nord Hall.

October 25
1975 Case-Reserve Athletic Club (now Spartan Club) held its first Hall of Fame induction ceremonies.

October 26
1882 Dedication ceremonies for Adelbert, Pierce, and Cutler Halls were held. They were the first Western Reserve University buildings in University Circle. Instead of a formal Commencement exercise, degrees were conferred after the dedication ceremonies.
1989 Groundbreaking ceremonies were held for the new home of Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences at the northeast corner of Bellflower and Ford Roads.

October 27
1886 Fire gutted the Case Main Building, the first Case School of Applied Science building in University Circle.

October 28
1847 Phi Beta Kappa established the first Ohio Chapter, Alpha, at Western Reserve College.
1922 Western Reserve University ran its first varsity cross country race, defeating Wooster College, 25-30.

October 29
1999 David H. Auston was inaugurated as CWRU's fifth president.

October 30
1992 The cornerstone and dedication plaque were unveiled for the Kent Hale Smith Engineering and Science Building at a ceremony held at Adelbert Gym.

October 31
1964 Dedication ceremonies were held for the Murray Hill dormitory complex.

01512D1.jpg
The Campaign for Case Western Reserve University, 1989

On This Day in CWRU HIstory: July
On This Day in CWRU HIstory: August
On This Day in CWRU History: September

Posted by jmt3 at 02:21 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack