« February 2018 | Main | April 2018 »

March 28, 2018

Women’s History Month Spotlight: Annice Florence Jeffreys Myers, Medical School class of 1883

“A womanly woman with a well-balanced and a well-stored brain, a woman of broad sympathies, keenly alive to the betterment of her kind, whether individually or in the mass, was Mrs. Annice Jeffrys [sic] Myers, wife of Jefferson Myers.” So was the announcement of Annice Florence Jeffreys Myers’ death in an Oregon newspaper.

Annice Florence Jeffreys was born 5/21/1860 in Wayne County, Ohio. While the Medical School graduated 6 of the first 7 women doctors in the U.S., the School was closed to women 1856-1879. On 4/28/1879 the faculty voted to admit women students. Three women graduated, one each in 1880, 1883, and 1884, before medical education was closed again until 1919. Annice Jeffreys was the woman who graduated from the School of Medicine in 1883.

250-MyersAnnice295.jpg
Annice Florence Jeffreys Myers

After graduation, Dr. Myers practiced medicine for about 16 years - about 7 years in Cleveland before moving to Salem, Oregon where she practiced medicine for around 9 years. While we do not have the exact date in the Archives, she married Jefferson Myers around 1900 or 1901.

In addition to her work as a physician, Dr. Myers was involved in other activities. She was a suffragette serving at the local and national level: vice president at large of the State Equal Suffrage Association and auditor of the National American Women’s Suffrage Association. She was Chairman of the Committee of Arrangements for the 37th Annual Convention of the National American Woman Suffrage Association in Portland in 1905 at the time of the Lewis and Clark Exposition. (Dr. Myers and her husband, who was President of the Lewis and Clark Centennial Exposition Commission, had traveled to the last convention in Washington, D.C. to invite the Association to bring its next meeting to Oregon.) Dr. Myers also served on the Association’s Committee on Congressional Legislation.

She was deeply involved in assisting working women improve their conditions. She helped them gain opportunities for better jobs to become independent. She helped many become nurses “and she opened the way for many to other useful fields.” As one obituary stated, “It was the work of helping girls that occupied most of her time during the last few years, however, and she was planning to organize this work and carry it out on a much larger scale when taken ill last September.”

Dr. Myers died 5/10/1911 in Portland, Oregon. She was survived by her husband, 4 sisters, and 1 brother.

See past Women’s History Month posts from 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017.

Posted by hxy2 at 03:22 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

March 02, 2018

On This Day in CWRU History: March

Below is month nine of our list of significant dates in CWRU’s history. The list is not comprehensive and we invite suggestions of other dates to include.

March 1
1826 First meeting of the Trustees of Western Reserve College was held.
1967 University Print Club established. For an annual fee of $10 members could attend lectures on print techniques, visit artists’ studios,and purchase original prints.

March 2
1826 William Hanford, Western Reserve College Board of Trustee secretary, was named the first college librarian at WRC.

March 3
1852 Nancy Talbot Clark graduated from the Medical Department of Western Reserve College, the second woman in the United States to receive a regular medical degree.

00426D1.jpg
Nancy Talbot Clark, 1850s

March 4
1957 The Penn-Ohio Collegiate Swimming Association Championships was the first competitive swimming event held at Donnell Pool in Emerson Gymnasium.

March 6
1952 Western Reserve Trustees established the School of Business, later renamed Weatherhead School of Management.
1971 Case Institute of Technology beat Western Reserve University in basketball, 75-52, at Emerson Gym. It was the final time these schools would play each other in basketball. Since their first game in 1912, WRU won 58 times, while Case won 54.

March 7
1888 Western Reserve University Trustees approved an affiliation with the Cleveland Conservatory of Music.
1965 Western Reserve University's north side dormitory complex, consisting of 12 dormitories and 3 dining halls, was dedicated.

March 9
1988 The School of Applied Social Sciences was renamed the Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences.
1990 The Mailroom team defeated the Library team, 44-24, for the championship of the staff basketball league.

March 14
1969 President Morse declared March 14-21 Biafran Relief Week. Several campus fundraising events were held and the CWRU community was urged to contribute to the relief fund to counter mass starvation.

March 15
1915 The Case Club was dedicated as the first student center of the Case School of Applied Science.
1955 The Cedar-University Circle Rapid Station opened, offering rides on the new light rail transit line. Western Reserve University officials hoped the Rapid would alleviate parking congestion on campus.
1969 By a vote of 18-1 the Constitutional Convention adopted a constitution for the University Undergraduate Student Government.

ReserveTribune_1969-03-18_p1.jpg
Undergraduate Student Government Constitutional Convention Members, Reserve Tribune, 3/18/1969, p. 1

March 16
1923 In its first varsity swim meet, Western Reserve University was defeated by Case School of Applied Science, 49-10.

March 17
1881 Holden Farm was purchased, providing 46 acres of land on which Case School of Applied Science and Western Reserve University were built
1896 The first agreement was approved between Western Reserve University and University Hospitals of Cleveland (Lakeside Hospital).
1967 The Temptations performed at Emerson Gym. Admission was $2.25 for students, $3 for all others. The concert was jointly sponsored by the University Congresses of Western Reserve University and Case.

March 18
1967 Groundbreaking ceremonies were held for the Health Sciences Center, “the biggest structure ever attempted at Western Reserve in its 140 years” according to President John Schoff Millis.

02902D1.jpg
Drawing of Planned Health Sciences Center, 1960s

March 19
1881 Former U.S. President Rutherford B. Hayes and newly inaugurated President James Garfield were elected trustees of Western Reserve College.

March 25
1955 Zeta Beta Tau was the first Western Reserve University fraternity to install a rotary telephone system. Their phone number was SWeetbriar 1-1790.

March 27
1987 Comedienne Ellen DeGeneres appeared at CWRU's Comedy Night in Thwing Ballroom. Tickets were free for undergraduates and $2 for all others.

March 28
1881 Albert A. Michelson, the first American to win a Nobel Prize in the sciences, was appointed to the faculty of Case School of Applied Science.

02230p01.jpg
Case School of Applied Science Articles of Incorporation, 1880

March 29
1880 The Case School of Applied Science was incorporated.
1968 Chancellor John S. Millis announced the results of the contest to select the first CWRU Alma Mater. Barbara Denison wrote the lyrics and Jerry Pietenpol composed the music. Both were University employees and Ms. Denison was also an alumna.

02201D1.jpg
CWRU’s first Alma Mater, 1968

March 30
1902 Dedication ceremonies were held for Harkness Chapel, Western Reserve University's first chapel building. It was named in honor of Florence Harkness Severance.

March 31
1974 U. S. Senator from South Carolina, Strom Thurmond, spoke at Amasa Stone Chapel.
1995 The topping-off ceremony was held for the Kelvin Smith Library.

On This Day in CWRU HIstory: July
On This Day in CWRU HIstory: August
On This Day in CWRU History: September
On This Day in CWRU History: October
On This Day in CWRU History: November
On This Day in CWRU History: December
On This Day in CWRU History: January
On This Day in CWRU History: February

Posted by jmt3 at 08:01 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack