« March 2018 | Main | May 2018 »

April 03, 2018

On This Day in CWRU History: April

Below is month ten of our list of significant dates in CWRU’s history. The list is not comprehensive and we invite suggestions of other dates to include.

CaseTech_1970-04-01_p1.jpg
Case Tech, April Fool's edition, 1970

April 1
A timeless tradition found in most of the student newspapers - the April Fool’s edition.
1972 The newly merged CWRU outdoor track team participated in the Marietta College Relays.

April 4
1892 Nu Sigma Nu medical fraternity was established by twenty-six students and faculty members at the School of Medicine.
1941 Case School of Applied Science defeated John Carroll University at the Cleveland Arena, 2-1, to win the Big Four hockey title in the third game of a best of three series. It was the final varsity hockey game for Case.
1960 The Case Institute of Technology Men's Glee Club released their first album, Case Men Sing. Featuring Case songs such as "Carmen Case," "Alma Mater," and the "Fight Song," the first edition sold out within a week.

00929D1.jpg


April 5
1972 The newly merged CWRU baseball team played Youngstown State University.
1972 The newly merged CWRU tennis team faced off against Oberlin College.
1974 Cesar Chavez, president of the United Farm Workers of America, spoke at Amasa Stone Chapel. Sponsored by the CWRU Farmworkers' Support Committee, the event was free to the public.

April 6
1959 Poet Robert Frost spoke to a capacity crowd at Case’s Emerson Gym.

April 7
1950 As reported in the Case Institute of Technology newspaper, Case Tech, Tau Beta Pi announced the establishment of a faculty evaluation program for students. One-page questionnaires were distributed to students to grade instructors.

April 8
1851 Western Reserve College faculty approved the student social organization, the Equitable Fraternity, later known as Oudon Adelon, and even later as Delta Upsilon.
1972 The newly merged CWRU golf team teed off against Malone College.

April 9
1998 Derek Walcott, 1992 Nobel Laureate for poetry, read poems at Strosacker Auditorium. The event was free and open to the public.

April 11
1930 William E. Wickenden was inaugurated as Case School of Applied Science's third president.
1968 CWRU held its first convocation to honor the memory of Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., just a week after the civil rights leader’s assassination.

00404D1.jpg
William Wickenden inauguration ceremony


April 12
1967 Case Institute of Technology and Western Reserve University Trustees approved the Agreement of Consolidation to combine Case and WRU into a new corporation, Case Western Reserve University.

April 14
1968 WRU’s new Centrex telephone system went into operation. It replaced the PBX system that had been in use since 1928.
1981 CWRU Trustees approved a single diploma design to be used by all CWRU schools.

April 15
1939 The New Chemistry Building of the Case School of Applied Science was dedicated. In 1956, it was named in honor of former Case faculty member Albert W. Smith.

April 16
1969 CWRU Trustees approved the 4-1-4 calendar for the 1969/1970 academic year. Two 15-week semesters would be separated by the month of January devoted to Intersession.
1994 During a ceremony at the Western Reserve Rowing Association, the CWRU Crew Club christened their new racing boat "Agnar Pytte," in honor of CWRU president Agnar Pytte.

02134D1.jpg


April 17
1966 Gay Gallon completed an 80-hour 1-man marathon radio broadcast on WRAR, setting a new National Collegiate One Man Marathon Broadcasting Record.

April 18
1827 Middle College, the first building on the Hudson campus of Western Reserve College, opened for use.
1870 Nathan Perkins Seymour, longtime Professor of Latin and Greek, was named emeritus upon retirement, the first faculty member at Western Reserve College so honored.
1923 The cornerstone of the School of Medicine's new University Circle home was laid. In 1992, it was named in honor of former faculty member, Harland G. Wood.
1955 Dedication ceremonies were held for the William E. Wickenden Electrical Engineering Building. Wickenden was president of the Case Institute of Technology from 1929 to 1947.

April 19
1996 On newly constructed softball diamonds at Finnigan Fields, the CWRU women's varsity softball team played their first home game, splitting a double-header with Otterbein College. Vice President for Student Affairs Glenn Nicholls threw out the first pitch.

April 20
1974 CWRU faculty/administrators beat members of The Observer staff in a softball game at Finnigan Fields. CWRU President Louis Toepfer, wearing a suit and tie, batted twice in the game going hitless.

01790D1.jpg


April 21
1950 Groundbreaking ceremonies were held for Case Institute of Technology's first dormitory, Yost Hall.
1984 Backed by freshmen pitcher Tom Sarfi's no-hitter, CWRU beat Hiram College in baseball, 6-0. It was CWRU's first no-hitter.
1990 The Hudson Relays were run for the first time entirely within University Circle. Previously, the Relays were run from the old Western Reserve University campus in Hudson to Cleveland.

01011D1.jpg
Yost Hall groundbreaking ceremonies


April 22
1998 The Veale Convocation, Recreation and Athletic Center was dedicated. It was named for Tinkham Veale II, who graduated from the Case School of Applied Science in 1937.

April 23
1995 During a ceremony at the Western Reserve Rowing Association, the CWRU Crew Club christened their new racing boat "Leonard Case, Jr.," in honor of Case School of Applied Science founder and benefactor Leonard Case, Jr.
1996 After a $6 million renovation, Rockefeller Physics was rededicated.

April 24
1883 Groundbreaking was held for Case Main, the first University Circle building of Case School of Applied Science.
1942 The annual Hudson Relay was run with bicycles instead of on foot. The class of 1944 won, with a time of 76 minutes.
1948 Case Institute of Technology, led by Coach Ray Ride, debuted its varsity golf program in a loss to Oberlin College.
1955 Western Reserve University broadcast a 90 minute alumni reunion over WEWS-TV.

02233D1.jpg


April 25
1982 The class of 1982 became the first to win the Hudson Relay four years in a row. CWRU president David Ragone served the team champagne at the Hudson Relay rock after the race.

02846D1.jpg


April 26
1826 The cornerstone was laid for Middle College, the first building on the Western Reserve College campus in Hudson.
1898 In response to the Spanish-American war, the Voluntary Case Corps of Cadets was organized for military drill exercises at the Case School of Applied Science.

April 27
1968 Robert W. Morse was inaugurated as CWRU's first president.

00473D1.jpg


April 28
1957 Groundbreaking ceremonies were held for the Newton D. Baker Memorial Building on the corner of Euclid Avenue and Adelbert Road.
1989 A contract was signed between CWRU and TRW, Inc. to begin the installation of CWRUnet, the electronic learning environment.

April 29
1972 After a 2 year hiatus, the Hudson Relay returned. The class of 1974 won, finishing the race in just over 2 hours.
1984 The School of Law ran its own team in the Hudson Relay.
1999 Groundbreaking ceremonies were held for the Peter B. Lewis Building, the new home of the Weatherhead School of Management.

April 30
1972 George Gund Hall, home of the Franklin Thomas Backus School of Law, was dedicated.
1978 Case Institute of Technology students were allowed to participate in the Hudson Relay for the first time.

On This Day in CWRU HIstory: July
On This Day in CWRU HIstory: August
On This Day in CWRU History: September
On This Day in CWRU History: October
On This Day in CWRU History: November
On This Day in CWRU History: December
On This Day in CWRU History: January
On This Day in CWRU History: February
On This Day in CWRU History: March

Posted by jmt3 at 12:49 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack