« April 2018 | Main | June 2018 »

May 29, 2018

Western Reserve University School of Pharmacy

01294D1.jpg

While CWRU has 3 health related schools at the present time (School of Dental Medicine, School of Medicine, and Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing), there was also a School of Pharmacy from 1908 to 1949. This School was first established in 1882 as the Cleveland School of Pharmacy by the Cleveland Pharmaceutical Association. According to a history of the School by Edward D. Davy in 1941, E. A Schellentrager, a retail pharmacist was the “originator of the idea of formal training for prospective pharmacists.” Schellentrager became the first president of the School serving until 1905. The School was chartered under the laws of Ohio as the Cleveland School of Pharmacy on 12/20/1886. The incorporators were Schellentrager, Joseph H. Peck, P. I. Spenzer, G. L. Heckler, George Keiffer, and Henry W. Stecher.

The School became affiliated with Western Reserve University in 1908. It was renamed the Cleveland School of Pharmacy of Western Reserve University (WRU) in 1917. The School closed in 1949.

Curriculum
In the first year, 1 lecture was offered each week for 20 weeks. It was to be a practical elementary course in Pharmaceutical Chemistry. Nathan Rosenwasser was the lecturer. In the second year, Stecher and C. W. Kolbe were the lecturers. In the third year the course was extended to 30 lectures with optional lectures 2 evenings a week. No degrees were conferred by the School.

In 1896-1897 the curriculum was expanded to 3 years leading to the Pharmaceutical Chemist degree. There were 3 classes: freshman, junior, and senior classes.

At the time the School became part of WRU in the 1908/09 academic year, 2 degrees were offered, the Pharmaceutical Chemist (Ph.C.) and the Graduate in Pharmacy (Ph.G.). The difference in degrees depended on the high school experience of the student. Students with 1 year of a “good high school course” received the Ph.G. degree. Students who graduated from high school received the Ph.C. The 2 degrees were almost identical in the theoretical branches. The 2-year course was for full-time students and the tuition was $100 per year. The full-time course included more laboratory work. The 3-year course allowed the student time to work in a local drug store. The tuition was $65 per year.

The Doctor of Pharmacy (Phar.D.) was awarded to candidates who graduated from a “reputable school of pharmacy, who has had at least ten years of pharmaceutical experience since graduation; who presents an acceptable dissertation and who passes an examination before the Committee on Examination.”

Over time the Ph.G. degree became the 2-year degree program and Ph.C. became the 3 year program. Students were not admitted to the 2 -year course of study after the 1924/25 academic year. The Ph.C. and B.S. degrees were offered. The Ph.C. degree was not offered after 6/1935, leaving the B.S. as the only degree offered. Graduate work was possible through the Graduate School.

Enrollment
Total enrollment was 76 in 1908/09. Enrollment was 130 in the last year of existence (1948/49).

Deans
The deans of the School, 1908-1949, were:
1908-1911 Henry V. Arny
1911-1912 Norman A. Dubois
1912-1913 T. Barnard Tanner
1913-1916 William C. Alpers
1916-1940 Edward Spease
1940-1941 Edward D. Davy, Acting Dean
1941-1943 Edward D. Davy
1943-1944 Franklin J. Bacon, Acting Dean
1944-1949 Arthur P. Wyss

Buildings
The School of Pharmacy was located in downtown Cleveland until 1920 when it moved to a house on Adelbert Road. The buildings used by the School included:
1882 - part of a floor of Cleveland City Hall
1900 - 2 floors of Cleveland Gas Light and Coke Company (also called the Gas Building
1910-1920 - Ohio Wesleyan Medical School building
1920-1949 - 2029/2045 Adelbert Road
1933 - Pierce Hall

In 1921 a garden of medicinal plants was established on campus under the management of the Department of Pharmacognosy. In the Spring of 1929 the garden was transferred to Squire Valleevue Farm.

00440D1.jpg00442D1.jpg
Andrew Squire in medicinal herb garden and plants and seeds harvested from the farm


Plants were cultivated for propagation (for use in the manufacturing laborary) and research. According to Davy’s history, “The School maintains research and manufacturing laboratories, where U.S.P, N.F., and special formulae preparations are made for the hospitals of Cleveland. By agreement between Western Reserve University and the University Hospitals of Cleveland the Head of the Department of Pharmacy in the School of Pharmacy serves as the Directing Pharmacist of the University Hospitals, and the pharmacists in the hospitals become members of the teaching staff of the School. Students are required to take a course in hospital pharmacy under the direction of the hospitals pharmacists. An advanced course in hospital pharmacy is open to students who in the opinion of the faculty show special aptitude and ability.”

01279D1.jpg
Pharmacy students in laboratory, 1913

Records of the School and more information about the School of Pharmacy is available in the University Archives.

Posted by hxy2 at 08:27 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

May 01, 2018

On This Day in CWRU History: May

Below is month eleven of our list of significant dates in CWRU’s history. The list is not comprehensive and we invite suggestions of other dates to include.

04305D1.jpg
Campus anti-war protests, May 1970

May 2
1908 Western Reserve University students held their first mock political convention at Gray's Armory. The convention nominated Senator Robert LaFollette of Wisconsin for U.S. president.
1948 Case Institute of Technology's new student union, Tomlinson Hall, was dedicated.
1970 An open meeting was held to protest expansion of the Vietman War to Cambodia.

May 3
1970 Demonstrators occupied Yost Hall to protest the campus ROTC program headquartered in the building.

May 4
1970 Student Vietnam war protesters blocked the intersection of Euclid Avenue and Adelbert Road. That night a candlelight procession was held in memory of the Kent State student killed and wounded earlier that day.
1971 Boxer Muhammad Ali spoke at Adelbert Gym. The lecture was sponsored by the UUSG Speakers Bureau and the Adelbert College Junior Class.
1985 Completely renovated as part of the Mather Quad restoration effort, Guilford House was rededicated.

May 5
1970 Faculty Senate 4-1/2 hour meeting debated continuation of the ROTC program and other issues related to anti-war protests. Radio station WRUW broadcast the proceedings.

May 6
1961 Groundbreaking ceremonies were held for Western Reserve University's Mather I dormitory complex, consisting of Cutter, Smith, Taft, and Taplin Houses, and Stone Dining Hall.
1970 A ROTC supply room in the basement of Yost Hall was firebombed. Damage was $5,000.

May 7
1971 Case Institute of Technology and Western Reserve University's baseball teams faced off in the last meeting of these two schools in intercollegiate sports. WRU beat Case 7-5 in 10 innings.

May 8
1917 Lakeside Base Hospital Number Four, comprised of 256 men and women, including faculty from the School of Medicine, sailed for Europe one month after the United States entered World War I.
1971 Buffalo Bob Smith, the star of the "Howdy Doody Show," appeared at Emerson Gym. Smith told behind-the-scene anecdotes, showed film of the 10th anniversary show, and led the audience in singing old Howdy Doody songs. Tickets were $1.50.
1986 Trustees approved establishment of the Center on Regional Economic Issues in the Weatherhead School of Management.

May 9
1968 Trustee Executive Committee approved establishment of the Biomedical Engineering Department.

May 10
1961 Groundbreaking ceremonies were held at Case Institute of Technology for the Olin Laboratory for Materials.

03531D1.jpg

May 11
1903 Western Reserve University Trustees established the Library School.
1904 Charles S. Howe was inaugurated as Case School of Applied Science's second president.
1948 Case Institute of Technology students held their first mock political convention, nominating Senator Arthur Vandenburg of Michigan as candidate for U.S. president.

00550D1.jpg

May 12
1994 Former First Lady Rosalynn Carter spoke at the Florence Cellar Gerontology Conference, sponsored by the Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing.

May 13
1885 Laura Kerr Axtell donated property worth $125,000 in the city of Cleveland, as well as the township of Rockport, to endow the Kerr Professorship of Mathematics, the first named professorship at Case School of Applied Science.
1972 The Health Sciences Center complex, containing new and expanded homes for the Schools of Nursing, Dentistry, and Medicine, was dedicated.

May 14
1965 Retiring CIT President Glennan was honored by a surprise tribute organized by students at
Students Salute Keith Glennan Day.

03205D1.jpg


May 15
1928 Western Reserve University Trustees established the School of Education.
1969 When an attempt by 200 protesters to occupy the President's office in Adelbert Main was thwarted by counter demonstrators, the protesters, primarily students, proceeded to occupy Haydn Hall for four days.

May 16
1999 Former astronaut and U. S. Senator John Glenn spoke at CWRU's spring commencement convocation.

May 17
1946 All Hudson Relay teams were disqualified for using cars instead of running the race.

May 18
1920 Following the re-opening of the School of Medicine to women, female students established the Theta chapter of the Nu Sigma Phi medical sorority.
1961 Case Institute of Technology formally dedicated the Library-Humanities Building. In 1966, it was renamed the Lester M. and Ruth P. Sears Library-Humanities Building.
2003 Geraldine Ferraro, who in 1984 became the first woman to run on a U.S. presidential ticket of a major party, gave the address at CWRU's main commencement ceremony.

May 19
1967 Case Institute of Technology and Western Reserve University purchased Fenway Motor Inn, renamed University House, to provide housing for married and single graduate students.

May 21
1948 T. Keith Glennan was inaugurated as Case Institute of Technology's fourth president.
1957 Dedication ceremonies were held for Case Institute of Technology's second student dormitory, Pardee Hall.
1969 CWRU's University Undergraduate Student Government Assembly held its first meeting.
1969 CWRU Trustees approved phase one of a joint music program with Cleveland Institute of Musice, to begin in fall 1969.
2000 Stephanie Tubbs Jones, Ohio Congresswoman and 1971 Flora Stone Mather College and 1974 Law graduate, spoke at CWRU's School of Law commencement ceremony. Ferid Murad, a 1998 Nobel Prize laureate and a 1965 Western Reserve University graduate, spoke at CWRU's School of Medicine commencement ceremony.

May 22
1894 School of Medicine became the first medical college in Ohio to require four years of study to earn the M.D. degree.
1896 Western Reserve University and Case School of Applied Science held their first Intercollegiate Field Day in track. Held at the Cleveland Driving Park, WRU beat Case, 74-54.
1985 The first outdoor, University-wide, CWRU commencement ceremony was held.

00684D1.jpg

May 23
1958 In use since 1901, the Case Institute of Technology athletic field was renamed Van Horn Field, in honor of former Case faculty member Frank "the Count" Van Horn.

May 24
1916 In an early use of the transcontinental telephone line, attendees at the Case School of Applied Science alumni dinner spoke via telephone with Case alumni at simultaneous gatherings in New York City and San Francisco.
1957 Dedication ceremonies were held at Case Institute of Technology for the newly completed Sam W. Emerson Physical Education Center.
1990 The Staff Advisory Council, CWRU's first, fully representative staff organization, held its first official meeting.

May 26
1911 Case School of Applied Science competed for the first time in varsity tennis by participating in the Ohio Intercollegiate Tennis Tournament held at Ohio Wesleyan University.
1951 Case Institute of Technology formally dedicated its first campus dormitory, Yost Hall.

May 27
1981 Dr. Benjamin Spock, noted pediatrician and former Western Reserve University faculty member, gave the address at CWRU's School of Medicine commencement ceremony.

May 28
1931 Case School of Applied Science's commencement convocation was held for the first time at the newly-constructed Severance Hall.
1970 Polykarp Kusch, 1955 Nobel Prize laureate, and a 1931 graduate of Case Institute of Technology, spoke at CIT's commencement ceremony.

May 29
1891 Western Reserve University Trustees established the School of Law.

May 31
1928 Nearly 50 years after its establishment, the Case School of Applied Science graduated its first woman, Edith Paula Chartkoff, who received an M.S. in Metallurgy.

On This Day in CWRU HIstory: July
On This Day in CWRU HIstory: August
On This Day in CWRU History: September
On This Day in CWRU History: October
On This Day in CWRU History: November
On This Day in CWRU History: December
On This Day in CWRU History: January
On This Day in CWRU History: February
On This Day in CWRU History: March
On This Day in CWRU History: April

Posted by jmt3 at 12:31 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack