« Energy Conservation on Campus - 40 years ago | Main

July 12, 2018

Mini-History of the School of Architecture

The School of Architecture was one of several Western Reserve University schools that existed prior to becoming part of the University. It is also one of our schools that had a separate existence as a deparment after the school was closed. The sketch below outlines some of the school’s history. The focus is on 1929 till 1953, while it was a Western Reserve University school.

00663D1.jpg
School of Architecture Class of 1929

Some Key Dates
1921 Cleveland Chapter of the American Institute of Architects began supporting a course in architecture
1924 Cleveland School of Architecture was incorporated
1929 Cleveland School of Architecture affiliated with Western Reserve University
6/13/1929 First degrees, Bachelor of Architecture, conferred on eight graduates, by Western Reserve University
9/17/1929 First School of Architecture classes were offered as part of Western Reserve University
1941 Cleveland School of Architecture was renamed the School of Architecture
1953 School of Architecture closed. The Department of Architecture continued almost 20 years, closing in 1972
6/10/1953 The School of Architecture’s last commencement ceremony was held, at which 15 graduates received the Bachelor of Architecture.
1929-1953 Frances R. Bacon was Dean of the School of Architecture for its entire life as a school of Western Reserve University

Curriculum
The 1929/30 catalog lists over 40 architecture courses, including Elements of Architecture, Cast Drawing, History of Architecture, Theory of Design, and more. Students also took classes in English, Math, Physics, and French.

Degrees Offered and Awarded
1929/30-1940/41 Bachelor of Architecture offered
1941/42-1942/43 Bachelor of Science offered
1943/44-1952/53 Bachelor of Architecture offered
1929-1953 nearly 200 undergraduate degrees were awarded by the School of Architecture.
Adelbert, Mather, and Cleveland Colleges also offered the Bachelor of Architecture degree. The Master of Arts degree in architecture was offered by the School of Graduate Studies.

02236D1.jpg
Architecture students constructing models

Tuition
1929/30-1945/46 $300/year with an estimated materials cost of $50
1946/47-1947/48 $12.50/credit hour
1948/49 $14/credit hour
1949/50-1952/53 $16/credit hour

Enrollment
1929-1953 total of 1,623 students enrolled; average of 67 annually
1943/44 low enrollment: 11 students
1948/49 high enrollment: 114 students

Locations
1927-1930 11015 Euclid Avenue
1930-1945 Garfield House at 11206 Euclid Avenue
1945-1953 Pierce Hall

Posted by jmt3 at July 12, 2018 06:12 PM

Trackback Pings

TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://blog.case.edu/archives/mt-tb.cgi/28034

Comments

Post a comment




Remember Me?

(you may use HTML tags for style)