December 12, 2014
Fall Semester 1904
With the end of the 2014 fall semester rapidly approaching, here are a few aspects of the undergraduate experience at Case School of Applied Science and Western Reserve University’s Adelbert College and College for Women 110 years ago.
The most obvious difference is that the fall semester didn’t end in December in 1904, but in February 1905. Students did have a winter vacation, however. At both Case and Reserve the winter recess began the evening of Friday, December 23 and ended the evening of Tuesday, January 3 - an 11 day break. Case’s President Howe, in requesting Trustee approval of the holiday break explained it should be “long enough before Christmas to enable students to reach home on that day and ending at such a date as shall enable the students to return after New Years.”
Not surprisingly, both schools were smaller in 1904. Enrollment at all Western Reserve schools was 808 and at Case 422. That’s a little smaller than CWRU’s undergraduate first year class in 2014. Tuition, also, was less than today. Adelbert and College for Women students paid $85 for the year; Case students paid $100.
Degree programs were less varied then. Adelbert and College for Women students had three courses of study: Language and Literature, Mathematics and Natural Science, and Philosophy, History and Social Science. The Bachelor of Arts was the only degree the two colleges awarded. At Case, the courses of instruction were Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mining Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, and General Science. The undergraduate degree awarded was the Bachelor of Science.
In varsity sports the football seasons of both WRU and Case ended on the same day, November 24, with Case defeating Reserve 22-0 in the annual Thanksgiving Day game. At Reserve, the basketball season started on December 16 with a 36-23 defeat of Sandusky. Case’s intercollegiate basketball program didn’t start till 1912.
A sample of December student events included:
12/2: Case’s junior class held its first dance of the semester
12/9: Case held its end of season football banquet
12/17: College for Women Dramatic Club produced Trelawney of the Wells
12/17: Case Musical Association concert was performed at the Excelsior Club
At Adelbert and the College for Women daily chapel attendance was required.
In 1904 Reserve had around 20 buildings and Case fewer than 10.
On campus student residences were much more limited than today. There were no Case dorms until the 1950s. A dormitory for Adelbert students was one of the original WRU University Circle buildings. We don’t know when Adelbert Hall, laterPierce Hall, ceased being a dormitory, but as early as 1894 offices and classrooms occupied some of the building. So, there was very little on-campus housing for Adelbert students in 1904. The undergraduate men at both schools either lived at home or in rooming houses near campus. The situation for undergraduate women was quite different. College for Women students had two campus residences in 1904, Guilford and Haydn. Fees were between $225 and $330 per year.
Some aspects of student life don’t change very much. The WRU student yearbook described the holiday break as, “We all go home to get money to come back on.”
Best wishes from the CWRU Archives to all our students for a restful (and lucrative) semester break!
November 26, 2014
American Physical Society 1962 Thanksgiving meeting
On Friday and Saturday, November 23 and 24, 1962 Case Institute of Technology (CIT) and Western Reserve University (WRU) served as co-hosts for the American Physical Society (APS) Thanksgiving meeting. The Thanksgiving holiday was November 22 that year.
Cleveland physicists petitioned to have the meeting on the joint campuses that year because it was the 75th anniversary of the Michelson Morley experiment (1887). This commemoration was recognized with a Symposium on Relativity on Saturday morning. Robert S. Shankland of CIT, gave a paper, Michelson-Morley Experiment. Other papers were given by L. I. Schiff of Stanford University, Experimental Basis of Relativity; G. M. Clemence of U. S. Naval Observatory, Planetary Motions According to Newton, Einstein, Observation, and Other Authorities; J. P. Schiffer of Argonne National Laboratory, Experiments on Relativity with the Mossbauer Effect; and C. H. Townes, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Experimental Tests of Special Relativity by Use of Masers.
CIT Physics chair Frederick Reines (later a Nobel Laureate) and WRU Physics chair John K. Major coordinated the local arrangements for the meeting. The headquarters for the conference was Wade Park Manor, where most of the attendees stayed. (Other guests stayed at the Tudor Arms Hotel.) Sessions were held in Rockefeller, Sears Library, Millis Science Center, Schmitt Auditorium, and Strosacker Auditorium. A Student Section Headquarters room was set up in Tomlinson Hall. Students were allowed to register for free and attend regular sessions. There were two lectures especially for students: The Detectors of Nuclear Physics - A Survey, by Frederick Reines, and Optical Pumping by Thomas G. Eck of CIT.
The Fall meeting of the Ohio Section APS was held in conjunction with this Thanksgiving meeting. The Ohio Section sponsored a session of papers on Basic Physics Research at Five Nonacademic Laboratories in Ohio: Battelle Memorial Institute, F. J. Milford; Monsanto Research Corporation, J. F. Eichelberger; NASA Lewis Research Center, R. A. Lad; Owens-Illinois Glass Co., T. C. Baker; and Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, W. J. Price.
The presidents of CIT and WRU, T. Keith Glennan and John S. Millis, were the featured speakers at the banquet Friday night. The meeting was a success with attendance of 373. CIT and WRU had co-hosted the meeting previously in 1949 and 1959.
November 10, 2014
Veterans Day: Remembering Those Who Served
Charles Augustus Young, Western Reserve College faculty member, during the American Civil War served as captain of Company B of the 85th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, composed of students and faculty of Western Reserve College. Additional details about WRC during the Civil War
In 1898 in response to the Spanish-American war, Case School of Applied Science organized the Voluntary Case Corps of Cadets.
In 1918 in response to the United States' entry into World War I, the Student Army Training Corps at Case School of Applied Science began induction of students.
In 1917 Lakeside Base Hospital Number Four, comprised of 256 men and women, including faculty from the School of Medicine, sailed for Europe one month after the United States entered World War I. Pictured are officers of General Hospital No. 9.
Naval Unit of Student Army Training Corps at Adelbert College, 1918
Mather College WAVES in World War II
Case Navy V-12 unit in World War II
U.S. Cadet Nurse Corps students in World War II
October 28, 2014
W.P.A. Project - Cleveland Regional Union Catalog
The theme of 2014 Archives Month in Ohio is Ohio in the Depression. A project, promoted by faculty and administrators of Western Reserve University (WRU) that started 4/10/1936 as a Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) project, was the Cleveland Regional Union Catalog.
The purpose was to bring together into one place records of the holdings of libraries and other institutions. The original 42 participants included libraries of colleges and universities (such as WRU, Case School of Applied Science, Ohio State University, Oberlin College, John Carroll University), other libraries (such as Cleveland Public Library, Cleveland Medical Library, Lakewood Public Library) and organizations (such as Cleveland Board of Education, Rowfant Club, Western Reserve Historical Society, Nela Park).
The project soon expanded and was known as the state-wide Cleveland Regional Union Catalog. To develop this expanded Catalog, three other W.P.A. projects were established (7/27/1937, 1/4/1938, and 8/16/1938). The W.P.A. provided the clerical labor for the projects. Public support of the catalog ended 11/25/1939.
The first-entry library cards of the entire General Catalogs of the participating institutions were “photographed and transcribed on cards to constitute the state-wide Cleveland Regional Union Catalog.” WRU maintained the Catalog. The Cuyahoga County Board of Education helped to sponsor the project until it became state-wide and the Ohio State Library Board sponsored it after the state-wide expansion. Over the years some libraries dropped out, other libraries joined the effort, and many maintained their participation in the project by submitting cards as new purchases were made and items were withdrawn from their libraries.
During the 1940s the Library of Congress Union Catalog Division received and transcribed the cards constituting the entire state-wide Cleveland Regional Union Catalog. In 1956 the Catalog contained over 2,600,000 cards. In January 1956 the Cleveland Regional Union Catalog began “sending monthly shipments of main-entry cards from eleven of its important libraries selected by the Library of Congress for publication