April 26, 2006

Me & Web 2.0

I guess this is an extension of my earlier introduction.

Since I am sure we are all at different levels of technology usage and knowledge, I thought I would post about my technology usage.

I am high on anything that will increase my productivity while supporting mobility. I have two offices on my campus, one in the main library and one in the School of Engineering, and I also drive about 80 miles per day. At work, I rely solely on a laptop. As our campus is totally wireless and I have docking stations in both offices, I can basically work from anywhere that is needed. I will often travel to faculty offices or student study areas to assist or instruction in research, and I can conveniently take my "whole" office with me. I also use a Dell Axim X50v handheld that supports wireless access, email, video, various applications, etc. I can throw it in my pocket and access the library catalog from within the stacks, listen to music while wlaking across campus, or access an urgent email to share with others during a meeting. I love my Axim.

My university supports both a blog system and wiki. I do maintain a work-related weblog (e3 Information Overload, E-resources for Engineering Education) that highlights resources or issues relevant to science and engineering faculty and students. I also add content to other library blogs within my organization, a Reference Weblog and general library news Weblog. The library offers various RSS feeds. I do not participate as much in the wiki, as I have not learned the editing structure yet and it is not straight forward from a user perspective.

I use Pluck to read RSS feeds as it offers the ability to go back and forth from an application on my computer to web-based access as needed. I look forward to seeing how BlogBridge compares. I am also experimenting with Attensa as it work with Microsoft Office.

Categories

ALA Blog: Are You 2.0 Yet L2 Project Libraries & Librarianship Library 2.0 My Experiences RSS & Readers Web 2.0 Wiki

Trackback URL for this entry is: http://blog.case.edu/bcg8/mt-tb.cgi/14706

Alternative Trackback Sources: | Google It! | Technorati | Bloglines

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

If you have entered an email address in the box, clicking this checkbox will subscribe your email address to this entry so that you are notified if any updates or additional comments occur on the entry.

Email this entry

Email this entry to:

Your email address:

Message (optional):