December 12, 2006
Book on MySpace for Parents
MySpace Unraveled: A Parent's Guide to Teen Social Networking from the Directors of BlogSafety.com
by Larry Magid, AnneCollier
Publisher: Peachpit Press
Pub Date: August 02, 2006
Print ISBN-10: 0-321-48018-X
Print ISBN-13: 978-0-321-48018-7
I found this book from my library's Safari e-Books subscription. It looks like a great source for parents, or others with regular contact with children such as teachers or librarians.
- Basics of online social networking.
- How children are using MySpace.
- Positive and negative aspects of social networking sites.
- Internet safety for kids.
- How to communicate with children about what they are doing online.
- What parental controls are available and how to use them.
You may want to check out the chapter called "Where do we go from here?" that addresses the changing nature of the web with respect to the newest generation. It ends with a fictional story about a girl called Susan. I love the point this section of the books is making.
By far her most effective safeguard, though, is Susan's growing proficiency in fine-tuning a filter that works infinitely better than anything we or her parents could possibly install on her PC. This filter is the software running on the computer between her ears—her own developing critical thinking skills and her ability to make appropriate decisions.Right on!