Entries for July 2008

July 15, 2008

IEEE Computer Society Introduces Computing Now

From What's New @ IEEE for Students (June 4, 2008):

The IEEE Computer Society has created an aggregation portal to let visitors access multimedia, engage in community building and consolidate the resources of its 14 magazines. Computing Now brings together new print and online content from the IEEE Computer Society’s peer-reviewed magazines, highlighting coverage of hot topics, such as computer games, social networking, green computing, robotics and agile computing. Spanning all computing-related technologies and more than 50 identified subjects, Computing Now provides free access to select peer-reviewed articles and departments from each magazine. The site’s multimedia center features podcasts, video blogs, webinars and online-only interviews with authors and guest editors. Focusing on serving the community, Computing Now encourages registered users to comment on blog entries, provide feedback and contribute content. Led by an advisory board of subject-matter experts from academia and industry, Computing Now represents the Computer Society’s latest efforts to bridge the print and online worlds. For more information, visit Computing Now.

July 14, 2008

How Facebook Works

Ever wonder what it took to keep a large social network like FaceBook running? Technology Review in their July/August 2008 issue highlighted How Facebook Works.

July 06, 2008

Wikis and Collaboration Models for Active Learning

Case held this session on May 8, 2008. I was asked to participate and helped to organize this session, but was already scheduled to deliver a Plenary at another conference. I was glad to see the session was a success and left the participants with many things to consider.

Collaborative Technology and Engaging the Campus 2008
Track 4: Blogs and Wikis
Session: Wikis and Collaboration Models for Active Learning
Panelists: Ben Schechter, Bill Barrow, Bill Claspy, Brian Gray, Roger Zender

It was a discussion on how to use Wiki software in order to create an interface which provides an opportunity for collaboration among users.

Check out the others session from Collaborative Technology and Engaging the Campus 2008, which include sessions on blogging, virtual worlds like Second Life, mobile devices, VOIP, and many other topics:

Increasing the Value of Our History with the Web

I am a little behind on my blogging. Now that I have taken a breather, I am looking to jump start things.

On May 8, 2008, I was invited to deliver the Plenary session for the Society of Ohio Archivists at their Spring Program. I was asked to bring my knowledge of web 2.0 to a group that sees the possible advantages but often is very early in implementation. It is exciting to speak at a meeting that I would not normally attend. Even though I was asked to share and set the tone for the meeting in terms of what web 2.0 offers for libraries, archives, historians, etc., I found I left the meeting with a list of sites and tools to explore myself.