Entries for July 2009

July 19, 2009

Textbook Rentals

I remember reading about this some time ago, and the company is still succeeding. According to the New York Times on July 4, 2009, Chegg.com is still renting textbooks. It is a multiple million dollar business that shows no end to the growth so far.

Ohio students are lucky to have a similar program called the Ohio Textbook Portal.

I find the success of these programs as proof that Amazon's approach with the Kindle DX and the textbook sales can be successful. Many people suggest students want to keep their textbooks, but I suspect there are only a couple that a student would want to keep beyond their classes.

July 07, 2009

Major Chemistry Publisher Apparently Phasing Out Print Journals

It appears from an article in Nature (Published online 17 June 2009) that the American Chemical Society has announces steps to phase out their print journals in favor of all electronic access.

I wondered what major publisher would be first to take this action.

July 02, 2009

Bsbal Rned by Txt Msgs?

I think I have seen everything now. No longer is at least one team of the West Akron Baseball League using their traditional dugout hand signs for the base coaches. To be a coach on this team, you better be on the same "network" as the team manager. The commands to the base coaches are being delivered by text messages. The Akron Beacon Journal reported that the team manager, the son-in-law of the former Cleveland Indians skipper Mike Hargrove, has started utilizing the technology because the coaches were missing the signs. I can already see how this will play out in the next Major League movie.

July 01, 2009

Music Tracks Recorded on iPhone

Are you amazed how much you can do with each new generation of phone compared the even the computers of a decade ago. Here is another one of those moments delivered by the iPhone. The music group The 88 recorded one of their songs using a iPhone application.