EDUCATIONM.L.I.S., Kent State University, Kent, Ohio (December 2004)
Focus: Management and reference courses, including various computer courses.
Practicum: University of Akron Libraries, Dean’s Office - Developed the Libraries’ marketing presentation aimed at the university’s deans and faculty.
B.S., Chemical Engineering with Environmental Studies Certificate, The University of Akron, Akron, Ohio (2000)
Research: Conducted an independent research project in environmental remediation.
LIBRARY WORK EXPERIENCE(Spring 2007 - present) School of Library & Information Science, Kent State University, Kent, OH
Adjunct Faculty – Workshop on Web 2.0 in Libraries
(Fall 2006 – present) Bryant & Stratton College, Cleveland, OH Adjunct Instructor - Information Literacy and Research
- Teaching LIBS100, which covers various issues in information literacy (library resources, web research, report writing, etc.)
Librarian II (Engineering, Mathematics, & Statistics)
- Reference & Instruction Services
- Participate in duties of the Reference Desk, which include assisting in all subject areas.
- Participate in virtual chat reference (LivePerson).
- Phone, email, and by-appointment reference assistance in engineering, mathematics, statistics, and patent searching.
- Conduct individual instruction in library resources, patent searching, web searching, and computer applications.
- Conduct instructional sessions for incoming freshman.
- Design and conduct instructional sessions tailored to specific classes or research areas.
- Designed and teach a workshop on using RSS feeds.
- Designed and teach a workshop on searching for patents.
Assist with and provide instruction for various special user groups, such as a summer program for high school students.
- Initiated instant messaging as a reference tool
- Collection Development
- Responsible for selection of monographs, serials, and electronic databases in engineering, mathematics, and statistics.
- Maintain research guides for engineering, mathematics, and statistics.
- Conducted a 6-year citation analysis (2000-06) of engineering faculty publications to assist in collection decisions.
- Spring 2006, hosted and worked with a practicum student on a citation analysis of engineering dissertations and thesis in chemical engineering and macromolecular science.
- College-Based Librarian in the Case School of Engineering (CSE)
- Maintain a small reading room in CSE.
- Provide remote reference services 15-20 per week from CSE.
- Participate in CSE meetings, committees, and other activities as needed.
Library Associate Senior, University Libraries Corporate Consortium with Advanced Elastomer Systems
- Participation in University Activities
- Committee member (2002) and Chair (2003) for the Friends of the University Libraries Outstanding Student Employee Award Committee.
- 2003 University Libraries Holiday Party Committee. Solicitation of door prizes from local businesses.
- Regular columnist in the University Libraries employee publication, including a column presenting and reviewing new computer programs or websites.
- University Libraries Marketing PowerPoint Team.
- Staff Employee Advisory Committee (2004-05) to the University President.
- Serials, Collection Management, and Document Delivery
- Purchased articles, standards, patents, and professional translations.
- Convinced company to invest in translation software to conduct translations internally to save money.
- Management and procurement of resources, and the maintenance of the Lotus Notes library catalog.
- Management of table of contents alerting service, including creation of self-service mechanisms for patrons to locate electronic resources.
- Simplification of Copyright Clearance Center reporting.
- Promoted new resources through activities, web pages, and demonstrations.
- Answering Reference Questions and Conducting Research
- Conducted reference interviews and information research in polymers, engineering, chemistry, and business-support (human resources, competitive intelligence, and market information).
- Participation and interaction with corporate engineering personnel, such as meeting attendance, safety teams, or other committees.
- Conducted workshops and created reference materials on creating Adobe PDF documents.
- Provided trainings in web page design for the creators of internal web content.
- Provided instruction in searching techniques and utilization of information resources.
- Information Management
- Assisted with lab notebook maintenance and storage.
- Responsible for entry and maintenance of internal technical reports in electronic database, and maintenance of an archive of employee external publications.
- Reinforcement of company information policies and sponsorship of the value of information to business operations.
Student Assistant/Temporary Staff
- Worked the evening and weekend shifts when no supervisors were present
- Answered reference questions and assisted in various searches, utilizing the print collection, SciFinder Scholar, Beilstein, Cinahl, and Medline.
- Managed special projects, such as the shifting of materials, shipping materials to storage facilities, updating of item records, and the collection of material use statistics.
- Performed independently as the binding manager for one year. Transformed procedure from a "paper" based procedure to a computerized process.
ENGINEERING & OTHER WORK EXPERIENCE(1/1997 - 8/1999) ELTECH Systems (OxyTech Systems), Chardon, OH
Engineering Co-op Student
- Supported the Research and Development Department through quality control inspections, testing of parts, writing test and assembly procedures, troubleshooting, and raw material selection.
- Coordinated research efforts between outside companies, engineers, purchasing, and warehouse personnel; performed several key steps between design and manufacturing.
Supervisor and Trainer
- Trained and supervised new employees. Created promotional materials.
- Computer Applications and the Internet
- Desktop: WordPro, Lotus 1-2-3, and Microsoft Office.
- Web: Various web browsers, various search engines, Adobe Acrobat, Dreamweaver, and FrontPage.
- Additional: Systran Premium (translation software) and BASIS (records management).
- Maintain and author a weblog of engineering resources: http://blog.case.edu/bcg8/ and various other subject-specific research guides.
- Designed two weblogs for library news and reference services
- Information Research
- Research databases: STN, Dialog, Factiva, Delphion, Knovel, Lexis Nexis, Micropatent, and Nerac.
- Patent research and related resources.
- Library catalogs and academic databases: University of Akron, Kent State University, Case Western Reserve University, and OhioLINK resources.
AWARDS & HONORS
- Boy Scouts of America Eagle Scout.
- University of Akron Friends of the Library Professional Scholarship Recipient (2002-04).
- Special Libraries Association Scholarship Recipient (2003).
- Travel grants for ASIS&T Annual Meeting (2002-03) and SLA Annual Meeting (2003-04).
- Kent State University Rose Vormelker Student Award for Special Librarianship (2004).
- Kent State University August Alpers Library Award for contribution to library school (2005).
- American Chemical Society (ACS), Chemical Information Division (2002-04)
- American Society of Information Science & Technology (ASIS&T) (2002-04)
- Attended Annual Meeting (2002, 2003)
- Student Volunteer at 2003 Annual Meeting
- Special Libraries Association, SLA (2002 - present)
- Attended Annual Conference (2003, 2004)
- Kent State Student Chapter (2002-04) – Various leadership roles
- Student & Academic Relations Committee, Student Representative (2003-05)
- American Library Association (ALA) (2003 - present)
- Attended Annual Conference (2004-06)
Attended Midwinter Meeting (2004-05, 2007)
- Library Administration & Management Association (LAMA) (2003 – present)
- Leaders of the Pack (3-year mentoring/leadership program, 2004-06)
- Public Relations & Marketing, Education & Training Committee (2004-06)
- Dialog with Directors Discussion Group – Founder & moderator (2005 - present)
- e-LA&M Task Force (2006-07)
- LAMA Web Coordinator (2006-08)
- Participant in ALA Library 2.0 - Pilot program exploring instruction and utilization of web tools in libraries (May-June 2006)
- NMRT Liaison to LAMA (2006-07)
- Library Administration & Management Association (LAMA) (2003 – present)
- Attended Annual Conference (2004-06)
- Academic Library Association of Ohio (ALAO) (2002 - present)
- 2007/08 Conference Planning Committee
- Kent State University School of Library & Information Science Core Constituency Advisory Team (CCAT) for Academic Libraries (2005 - present)
OTHER PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Participant in the first annual 2002 Ohio Support Staff Institute (OSSI). Liaison to Northeast Ohio to promote the 2003 Institute to future participants.
- Cleveland SLA Workshops
- Mary Ellen Bates: Art of the Reference Interview (2002)
- Jose-Marie Griffiths: Leadership Skills for the Electronic Age (2002)
- Storytelling in Business Communication (2003)
- Bill Fisher: ROI Calculations in Libraries (2004)
- Steve Abram: Discovering a Bright Future for Libraries & Millennials! They're here. Deal with it! (2005)
- Participant in Library Leadership Ohio (August 2004).
- Participated in the World Usability Day events conducted by the Northeast Ohio Chapter of the Usability Professionals Association (November 2006).
PRESENTATION & PUBLICATIONS
- Academic Library Association of Ohio (ALAO) Annual Meeting, Panel Discussion: You Do What at the Library? Positioning Ourselves to Look at Alternative Employment Opportunities (2004)
- ALA Orlando 2004 - A Leadership Perspective, ALA NMRT Footnotes 34(1), August 2004. (Published online at http://www.louisville.edu/~tlholt02/nmrt/Footnotes/august2004/firstGray.htm).
- Self-awareness: The key to leading others. www.liscareer.com (2004 October). (Published online at http://www.liscareer.com/gray_self.htm).
- Quoted in In Our Own Words, Library Journal (November 15, 2004) by Rachel Singer Gordon. (Published online at http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA479186.html).
- Library Administration and Management Association, ALA NMRT Footnotes 34(3), February 2005. (Published online at http://louisville.edu/~tlholt02/nmrt/Footnotes/february2005/lama.htm).
- Quoted in Finding a Library Job, Library Journal (June 1, 2005) by Rachel Singer Gordon. (Published online at http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6250888.html).
- Interviewed for Beyond the Prototype, ALA TechSource (May 28, 2006) by Teresa Koltsenburg. (Published online at http://www.techsource.ala.org/blog/2006/05/beyond-the-prototype.html).
- Guest Panelist – Special Libraries class, Kent State University, School of Library & Information Science (2006)
- Northern Ohio Chapter of the American Society for Information Science and Technology (NORASIST) Annual Meeting, Speaker: Exploring Libraries (...and our Users) in the Web 2.0 Realm (October 2006). (Published online at http://blog.case.edu/bcg8/2006/10/25/exploring_libraries_and_our_users_in_the_web_20_realm).
- 2006 ALAO Annual Meeting Poster Presentation - Grocery List on a Budget: Collection Analysis of Engineering Journal Titles (Handout published online at http://www.alaodev.org/conferences/postersessions/2006/GroceryListOnABudget-handout.pdf).
- Interviewed and profiled in The Nextgen Librarian's Survival Guide by Rachel Singer Gordon (2006).
- Blogs: http://briangray.alablog.org/ (Library 2.0) and http://blog.case.edu/bcg8/ (engineering)