« Case Screen Saver - Version 1.0 | Main | Case Screen Saver on Mac! »

October 24, 2005

Spam@Case.edu - US Army

This morning, I received an offer to join the US Army - in my inbox. I was shocked that recruiting was now being done through email. The US Army has now joined the ranks of other fine unsolicited email businesses such as "Enlarge your Beasts", "Buy V1agra 0nline" and "FREE MONEY!!!".

Here is the email I received:

Dear Student:

The U.S. Army offers 1, 2, 3, and 4-year tuition scholarships to students that are planning on attending Medical or Dental school. This scholarship pays 100% tuition, in addition it pays you over $14,000 per year in stipends and income. Imagine completing your last two, three or four years of school without taking out any more student loans while earning an annual stipend.

The Army’s Health Professions Scholarship Program, or HPSP, provides full payment of all required tuition and fees, reimbursement of required books, expendable supplies, and equipment for the duration of dental school (up to four years). Additionally, you will receive a monthly stipend of $1,279 for 10 ½ months per year. For the other 45 days each year, you will receive the full pay and allowances of an Army Officer in the rank of Second Lieutenant. Your obligation for this scholarship package is one year on active duty in the Army Medical Department for every year of sponsorship. Upon completion of training you will be commissioned as a Captain the United States Army Medical Department.

To apply for the HPSP program, you must meet all basic eligibility criteria. First, you must be an U.S. citizen and be enrolled full time or have a letter of acceptance from an accredited medical or dental school in the United States or Puerto Rico. You must have a DAT score of 19 or higher. You must have a MCAT score of 25 or higher. You must also be able to pass a physical examination prior to your application being submitted. This scholarship has a stringent boarding process and is limited in numbers for the entire year, so apply early. Can you think of a better way to finance your school and enter your new career virtually debt- free?

If you are interested in applying for the Health Professions Scholarship Program or would like more information, please feel free to contact the undersigned or E-mail todd.churchill@usarec.army.mil. Thank you for considering a future in Army Medical Department.

Todd J. Churchill

7550 Lucerne Dr. STE 101

Middleburg Heights, OH 44130

Office (440) 891-1800

Cell (877) 662-0231

Adding your cellphone number to spam adds that special touch...

Normally, I would delete the spam and just forget about it. But this email *really* came from a *.mil address (I DNS checked the header information) -- so this was legit!

Here was my first response:

I am interested...in how the hell you got my email address. Do you
have any idea how slimy this makes our US army look? Does our country
really have to resort to spam as a means to recruit individuals into
the "best army in the world"? Do you have no shame?

Here's what you are going to do.

1. Remove my email address from all your databases so that I never
receive this again.
2. Forward this email to your supervisor.
3. Explain to me why I received this unsolicited email.

Benjamin Chodroff

I am not normally this mean to strangers, but it's a Monday morning and I didn't get enough sleep.

So his reponses were:

Thank you for your response. I will take your contact information off my list and will never contact you again!

and:

It is called the Solomon Act and every college that receives federal funding has to give us recruiting information.

Interesting. Perhaps Case should revisit just how much information we need to give out...

Posted by bec at October 24, 2005 02:14 PM

Trackback Pings

http://blog.case.edu/bec/mt-tb.cgi/3567

It appears universities are required to give out the information, but various lawsuits are pending to block it.

I found this article that tells the view from a university's side.

Posted by: Brian Gray at October 24, 2005 04:01 PM

Oh, Ben. Your just irked because it was shoved in your face via your in-box. The really scary news is that, thanks to your driver's license, the DOD has been keeping track of you for recruiting purposes since 2002. (click here)
I'm sure by now they have something juicier on you than your email address (cough*DragBall*cough).

Posted by: Trish at October 24, 2005 04:13 PM

Trish - haha, yes - that is what really irks me. While that article is an interesting read, I feel like I could honestly care less what information the DOD collects on me. How do you feel? If any company or organization finds it interesting that I buy deodorant once every 5 weeks from Wal-Mart and didn't do so well in my spanish class my sophomore year at highschool, I am fine with that. In fact, I encourage it if it is going to allow them to make better products. I just don't want to ever personally hear from them. Is that so much to ask?

As for the drag ball pictures, I openly share those pictures, for better or worse! The money raised at that event went to a good cause, even if it meant loosing every shred of dignity I had left :-P

Thanks for the great article, Brian. The university does seem to be caught between a rock and a hard place. They need the funding...so it's hard for them to fight this.

Once again, I don't mind that the military has my email address. Feel free to track my *every* move as much as you want. It's just the fact that having it makes them think they have the right to contact me. Big brother needs to learn when to shut up. I've given up all hopes of living an anonymous life and realize that a fully open life can be quite rewarding.

Posted by: Ben at October 24, 2005 06:55 PM

ylrdmjkaf yfrqow efgmw pjigwucf atfkw wqejsuc stmk

Posted by: acioqhnw elqr at December 1, 2006 05:38 AM

¡Comment registration is required but no TypeKey token has been given in weblog configuration!