Testing Word 2007 Blog Integration

It seems that Word 2007 has direct support for posting blog entries through services such as Windows Live Spaces and Blogger. While Windows Live Spaces is not surprising, is the inclusion of Blogger (a Google service) a sign that things are changing at Microsoft? What is more, they have also added support for any blog service that supports either ATOM or MetaWebLog API. After some digging, it turns out that blog.case.edu does use the MetaWebLog API, so I'm giving it a test.

If anyone else is interested in trying this out, simply tell Word 2007 to make a New Blog Post (Office Menu -> New -> Blog post). A wizard will come up asking if you'd like to register with a Blog service – tell it yes, and then for the provider, specify 'Other'. Enter your Case ID and password, make sure 'MetaWebLog' is selected as the API, and enter http://blog.case.edu/mt/mt-xmlrpc.cgi as the Blog Post URL. If you'd like to have Word automatically upload images to your Filer space, it's really quite simple. When prompted for your Image Provider's information, select 'My own server' from the list, enter https://filer.case.edu/dav/abc123 as the Upload URL (use your own Case ID instead of abc123), and http://filer.case.edu/abc123 as the Source URL (again use your own Case ID here). Finish the wizard and you should be good to go.

What is interesting is that this is a great example of how powerful web services can be. Once your account is set up, you can 'Open Existing' to open any blog posts you've made (even ones you didn't make through Word) for revision or just to look over. You can insert category and tag info into your post (caveat: this was the only thing I haven't been able to get working so far – seems like a bug). Word even has some integration with image hosting providers (none are preloaded yet, though it does support WebDAV interfaces such as Filer). All this works because the MetaWebLog API provides a list of functions to any API client (in this case, Word). These functions are standardized though a number of RFCs so that anyone can make an interoperable blog client or host as long as they abide by the contracts set forth in the RFC documents. Word and the blog.case.edu server then communicate by transferring XML documents which represent the client's requests and the server's responses. Again these XML documents follow a standardized schema which must be adhered to in order for clients and servers to communicate successfully.

The surprise is that the folks at Microsoft have not created their own 'better' schema and API, nor have they 'embraced-and-extended' the existing ones. Instead they have put their ego in check to produce a very impressive, interoperable piece of software. It seems that in the past year or so we've really seen a breath of fresh air at Microsoft, and hopefully we can look forward to more cool, interoperable products in the future.

Trackback URL for this entry is: http://blog.case.edu/bes7/mt-tb.cgi/10823 Word 2007 blog picture hosting with WebDav
Excerpt: When prompted for your Image Provider's information, select 'My own server' from the list, enter https://filer.case.edu/dav/abc123...
Weblog: Christopher Clark's AvaBlog
Tracked: November 11, 2006 09:49 AM

Hi,
How can I setup my a folder in my hosted space to be my location for image upload - i have put in the URL, i presume i need to do something on the server to allow it?!?
Thx
Steve

Posted by Steve on December 14, 2006 06:28 PM

Steve,

Basically the hosting server needs to be using WebDAV in order for Word 2007 to be able to upload images. I assume it could be possible to use an FTP server as well, but I haven't tried.

--Brandon

Posted by Brandon Siegel on December 31, 2006 08:51 AM

Cool.
Thanks for good post.

Posted by AlexDarbin on October 31, 2007 11:48 AM

if i want upload the photo to blogger, how do i set the upload URL and the soruce URL ?

any ides?

Posted by sp on December 1, 2007 01:02 AM

You can use any of the built-in image hosting providers (if any have actually been released by Microsoft, that is) when you are prompted for your Image Provider's information during the setup. If there isn't one there that you can use, you can host the image yourself. You need to have access to some space on a server which uses WebDAV. Once you have that, you can just enter the URL to that server space and it should work fine. I don't think Word currently supports uploading images directly to the blog (for blog software that allows you to upload images).

--Brandon

Posted by Brandon Siegel on February 11, 2008 02:47 PM

As far as the innovation from MS goes... one product in recent past I have admired is "Windows Live Writer" which immensely helps in blogging...This time they are bang on target...More such products and hopefully they can get out of stigma of being "copy cats".

Posted by Ankur Jain on March 8, 2008 02:41 PM

I wanted to give this feature a try, and right after I finished writing the post, wich was quite big, while I was reading it to check for mistakes, Word crashed. I simply lost everithing. Will never use the feature again.

Posted by Andrei Dragusanu on March 12, 2008 04:50 PM

Really cool tip. Worth checking out. Thanks

Posted by Microsoft Word fan on June 1, 2008 09:15 AM

what is the source url if i am using picasa uploader? blogger.com is also using that provider. Please help me out here. I'm really frustrated with these problems.

Posted by jon on June 29, 2008 05:13 PM

Excellent write up, very interesting read!

Posted by Japan on July 9, 2008 12:06 AM

Were you ever able to get "open existing" to work with MetaWebLog? I am trying to implement a MetaWebLog api and the getRecentPosts call word 2007 makes seems to return but the list of blog posts is blank -- is this the same bug you were seeing?

Posted by Doug on August 2, 2008 02:17 PM

Very good writing but it seems Mac support is not there yet.

Thanks
Raj

Posted by Software Testing on September 9, 2008 05:37 AM

I am cluless on how I can post pictures in my blog posting from word 2007.
I have chosen My Own Server because I am wanting to use images that I have stored in My Pictures file.
In the upload URL I have placed my blog address. this may or may not be the correct thing to do. If not what do I place in this spot and where and how do I get it?
In the Source URL I have no clue what I should place in there.
Can you assist me in getting this straightened out?
Thanks,
Mike

Posted by Mike on September 29, 2008 12:08 PM

Awesome info, i`ll give it a try. Thanks.

Posted by DopeFish on January 23, 2009 03:25 AM

Great post with good information. Thanks. It's much better now than it was back then!

Posted by Neil Patmore on September 21, 2009 10:03 AM

Awesome post with lots of great information. I found it really informative.

Posted by juraj2 on February 17, 2010 03:30 PM

Really great blog you got here. It'd be really cool to read something more about that matter. Thanx for giving this material.

Emily Gray

Posted by Emily Gray on May 6, 2010 04:27 PM

Can anyone shed a little light and let us know which other current image hosting providers can use this feature with WEBDAV?

Posted by Houston Computer Repair on August 18, 2010 12:41 AM

Good info but will this also work for Office 2010

Posted by Don Alliance on August 23, 2010 06:02 PM

@jon try doing a google search
to find the source for the upload when using picasa.

Posted by Website Design on October 9, 2010 08:00 AM

"Instead they have put their ego in check..."

Good point. I didn't think such a thing was possible from MS.

Posted by Ventura Computer Repair on October 30, 2010 09:15 PM