February 20, 2014
Memory Cues for KSL ILL Staff Contacts
What with February being the shortest month (and possibly one of the busiest), I thought I'd make this latest posting short and sweet.
To contact us by e-mail, please address your message to email@example.com.
A good way to remember this is to start with...
"smith" as in Kelvin Smith Library (the main library service point of Case Western Reserve University)...
with no period, followed by...
"ill" for interlibrary loan (the most common acronym for this service in the English-speaking world),
and of course ending with...
The primary phone contact number for ILL services is...
which also happens to be...
The secondary phone contact number for our ILL staff is...
but I can't think of any other good way to remember this, since it contains a '1' (which has no alphabetic telephone equivalent).
So there you have it.
Well, not exactly -- I couldn't stop there, so here are the e-mail and phone ILL contacts for the other three library systems on campus, just FYI...
Cleveland Health Sciences Library:
MSASS, Harris Library:
School of Law, Green Library:
(216) 368-8510 & (216) 368-8862
Hope this helps, so keep in touch with your respective ILL service point staff representatives, whenever you need us.
January 23, 2014
New Feature--ILL Staff Can Log into ILLiad as Patron, and an Update on Requesting Renewals
ILL staff now have the capability to log into your account from our own workstations, as one of the recent enhancements to the ILLiad administrator client. This will now enable us to view your main page, ILL transactions (at all stages), electronically delivered articles, and e-mail notifications, from the patron point-of-view. We will also be able to submit and edit requests, place renewal requests, and update personal information whenever you have trouble doing these yourself, or whenever you wish to demonstrate any concerns about ILLiad's functionality.
This will improve our ability to assist you with resolving technical problems and issues with ILLiad, but there are still a few things to keep in mind --
First, we will be accessing your account from the perspective of our own personal workstation platforms and local browser configurations, so we will not experience the same repercussions involving session ID cookie settings which you might. Our view will be from the direct server login site, and will not include the KSL frame with banner and additional side scroll-bar seen when accessing from the library's site menu.
Secondly, we will not be able to log in if you already have an active session open at the same time. We may need to ask you to log out, or terminate your session from the staff-end client with your approval.
Finally, although we can update your personal information, we will not be able to change your password from viewing your account, as this would require us to use your current (confidential and encrypted) password. In lieu of this, we can assign you a new default value (usually 'ill') from the staff-end client, which you can later change to a more secure character string at a future time.
And now a few comments on the topic of requesting renewals through your ILLiad account...
* When you receive a reminder notice that one of your ILL items is coming due in the next few days, you are provided with instructions as to how to request an extension on your loan period.
* Once you have accessed the transaction record, you will normally see the 'Renew Request' link at the top of the page.
* If your loan has been marked with a 'NO RENEWALS' restriction (which should be plainly printed on the cover label and indicated within the transaction information details), this option will NOT appear. This means that the lender institution library has specified in advance that the loan does not allow renewals, as a matter of policy, but it may also occur if you have already submitted a renewal request previously.
* If you have not actually signed out your loaned item yet, the transaction may currently have a status of 'Customer Notified via E-Mail' or some other inapplicable status. You will not have the option to request a renewal under these circumstances, either. If you somehow already have the book in your possession, you will need to contact ILL staff to correct the status to 'Checked Out to Customer'. If you have not actually picked up the item, you will need to come to the Kelvin Smith Library Service Center to do so before you may submit the renewal request.
A more detailed explanation is available in our Customer Help page, at the following link: Renewal Requests
You my contact ILL staff for personal assistance, by phone at (216) 368-3463 or (216) 368-3517, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
December 17, 2013
Some Timely End-of-Year Odds and Ends
Here are a few ILL-related issues that have come up recently...
* OCLC WorldCat numbers -- When providing these in your request after searching this database, please enter only one accession number in the 'OCLC Number' field, and try to suggest the record containing largest number of holdings locations. You may also indicate additional record numbers for the same materials in the 'Notes' field, if you wish.
* Picking up ILL books from Kelvin Smith Library Service Center -- Always ask attending staff to retrieve available items for you. The ILL hold shelf is not self-serve (unlike the OhioLINK book shelf), and is also kept securely locked during hours when the Service Center is not staffed.
* Theses and dissertations through ILL -- Most of these are supplied in print version, often with renewal or library use restrictions imposed by the lender library. We cannot guarantee that they can or will be supplied as a digital reproduction, even if so requested. Also, ILL cannot be expected to make purchases from UMI ProQuest in order to obtain any thesis title. If purchasing is the only remaining option, the patron must either choose to make the purchase for a personal copy directly, at UMI Dissertation Express, or suggest a purchase for the library's own collection, using the Purchase Request form.
* New Overdue Notice on ILLiad loans -- As promised in my blog entry for June 18, 2013, you will now be sent an additional automated notification whenever you have any returnable ILL items 7 days past their due date. Just another enhancement in our services to help you remember to return your loaned materials.
Thanks for keeping these tips in mind when using your interlibrary loan services.
November 18, 2013
ILLiad Help Pages May Have the Answer
Just a reminder that these pages are always available for reference, when you can't get in touch with interlibrary loan staff in person. These are also linked to our main logon page, in your session main menu list, and on the various request forms and service pages. They are indexed according to topic, for quick reference.
FAQ -- A quick overview about setting up your ILLiad account, beginning your use of the service, and some answers to other common questions.
Customer Help -- A more detailed guide on using ILLiad, addressing a large number of specific concerns and troubleshooting tips.
Electronic Delivery Information -- An introductory overview of the features of ILLiad's electronic delivery function.
As always, feel free to contact ILL staff for personal assistance, by phone at (216) 368-3463 or (216) 368-3517, or by e-mail at email@example.com.
October 24, 2013
A Few General ILL Comments Worth Repeating
Creating new ILLiad accounts, loan issues, ILL privilege concerns...
* For your Username, you may use your Case network ID, i.e., in "abc123" format -- we recommended this when registering, for the sake of convenience. You can also use the same password string as for Single Sign-in (though not required), but you must remember that whenever you change it in the Case Network, you must change it separately during an ILLiad login session if you want it to match -- this will not occur automatically.
* Your Case Account Number is required when registering, and may be searched at the Case Account Number page. It is not the same number as your Employee ID Number, if you are Faculty, Staff, or Student Staff.
* Students who register, but have not yet declared a major, should select 'UNDECLARED' from the 'Department or Major' list, and change it later to the program in which they have enrolled once this has been determined. Do not use departments such as 'ARTS AND SCIENCES, COLLEGE OF' or 'ENGINEERING, CASE SCHOOL OF', which are intended for administrative staff only.
* Renewals of ILLiad loans may be requested at the Service Center (if the transaction is currently eligible -- i.e., not restricted, not overdue, not more than 5 days earlier than the due date, and not previously renewed). Otherwise, you will need to contact ILL staff for assistance at (216) 368-3463 or (216) 368-3517, or at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Return your outstanding ILL loans as soon as you are finished using them, but no later than 14 days past the due date in order to avoid having your ILLiad privileges blocked.
* Having an excess of $15.00 in regular library fines on your circulation account will block you from logging into your ILLiad account. You will see an alert message to this effect when you attempt to enter your Username and password.
Hope this information has answered some of your questions about ILL.
September 20, 2013
ILL and the New KSL Service Center Configuration
Just some comments about how Interlibrary Loan services fit into the new Kelvin Smith Library desk and storage furniture situation, staffed by Access and Delivery team members...
* Although ILL presence is now less visible, services involved there are essentially the same as before. Be assured that our stored loan materials are now more secure than previously, as the cabinets containing them are accessed only by A&D personnel during regular hours and are kept locked while the Service Center area is not staffed.
* You will still pick up and check out your ILL books (requested via ILLiad) at the KSL Service Center area. A&D staff will retrieve them from the designated hold shelf, present you with a check-out slip to sign and date, and charge the material out in your ILLiad account through a client proxy.
* Items with a 'LIBRARY USE ONLY' restriction (indicated by the lender library) must be signed out, as with all ILL loans. 'Out' and 'In' times and dates must be recorded on the special usage log slip included with such loans. These items will be secured in the hold shelf area during any times of non-use, while they are still checked out to your ILLiad account. As stated above, A&D staff will monitor these materials during regular hours, and keep them locked in their cabinet when the Service Center is closed.
* You may still return ILL books at the KSL Service Center (to staff at the desk), at the indoor book drop, or at the outdoor book drop (preferably after regular hours). As always, we ask that you do not return any loaned audio-visual materials into either book drop, whether they have been borrowed through ILLiad, via OhioLINK, or directly from any of the KSL or CWRU collections.
* If you have any ILL items being held, but which have not yet been checked out, or any 'LIBRARY USE ONLY' loans that are checked out but are no longer needed, you may contact the A&D desk staff in person or at 216-368-3506 (or notify ILL staff, as below) to have them pulled off the shelf and marked for return.
* Renewals of ILL items, when available (i.e., no restriction, not overdue & within 5 days prior to due date, not previously renewed) may still be requested at KSL Service Center. A&D desk staff can submit these on your behalf in real time, through our client proxy. Of course, you may always log into your ILLiad account to do this remotely.
* For any and all other issues regarding loans, electronic deliveries, article citations, website login access and usage, etc., please contact the ILL staff at 216-368-3463 or 216-368-3517, or e-mail us at email@example.com. During regular business hours (Mon-Fri, 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM), we are usually available for consultations in person, in the KSL 2nd Floor Staff Arc.
August 27, 2013
Some Comments on Electronic Delivery
About electronic delivery provided through ILLiad...
We receive articles through a variety of methods, but make it our job to streamline the delivery to our users into a single, uniform mechanism.
We may have reproduced documents supplied to us by any of the following:
* By electronic protocols sent directly to our server IP address
* By e-mail as an attachment (PDF, TIF)
* By e-mail with a passworded or un-passworded link
* As a print reproduction, by mail or fax
We further process these as follows:
* Articles sent directly into ILLiad may be processed automatically without staff mediation (if the supplier has a 'trusted' status), and delivered on to the user.
* Articles sent directly to ILLiad may require some staff intervention prior to delivery to the user (if the supplier has not yet been deemed as 'trusted').
* Documents supplied via URL or other online delivery method are downloaded and imported into ILLiad by ILL staff, and then processed for delivery.
* Print reproductions are scanned into usable electronic documents by ILL staff, and then imported into ILLiad for processing and delivery.
* In any of the above circumstances, with the exception of reception from a 'trusted' sender, ILL staff will also have the option to perform additional processing (cropping, rotating pages, deleting unnecessary portions, etc.), if time permits.
In order to provide uniformity of service, our sole delivery method is by PDF download, within a login session to your ILLiad account. You will be notified by e-mail with a link and instructions on accessing your electronic document, when it becomes available. For reasons of security and efficient synchronous processing, we never simply forward e-mail article delivery messages from other supplier institutions directly to our users.
If you experience problems downloading in ILLiad, you may contact ILL staff by phone, by e-mail or in-person, and we will either recover a file (if possible) and send it to you as an attachment, copy it to your USB flash drive or disc, or print it and leave it a the KSL service desk for pick up -- these, of course, will be done as case-by-case exceptions. (Unrecoverable files will need to be re-requested through a new ILL transaction, and will then require more time to be re-supplied.)
Recommendations and comments:
* Larger files may take longer to load -- please allow extra time in such cases.
* Print or save your downloaded files, for permanent retention, to avoid having to re-request them.
* After downloading, you have the option to immediately delete, or simply allow your file to expire. You can also un-delete a file, if you do so shortly after deleting it.
* When you save your files, you may have to re-name them, based on which browser you are using. For example, some may retain the ILLiad transaction number while others may assign the name 'illiad.pdf', or some other generic character string. If you are retrieving and saving a number of files, this will help to avoid one overwriting the next.
Hoping these comments will help with your use and understanding of ILLiad's electronic delivery service. You may contact Kelvin Smith Library ILL staff at (216) 368-3463 or (216) 368-3517, or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions or concerns.