November 21, 2014
OCLC Numbers, ISSN's & ISBN's When Submitting ILL Requests
These are always helpful pieces of information when included in your ILL request information, as they aid library staff in searching for potential holdings, thus expediting the overall process. However, we'd like to make note of some important issues about how you enter them into your ILLiad forms...
OCLC Accession Numbers...
These may be from 1 to 9 (or more) digits in length (e.g., '37993343') and are to be found by searching the OCLC WorldCat Database. They are often included also in the bibliographic records of most online library catalogs. You may enter them into the 'OCLC Number' field of the ILLiad request form you are using -- most copy request forms (excluding 'Patent') and all loan request forms have a location to enter this. The presence of an OCLC number is greatly appreciated, but the one you provide may not necessarily the same one we use to search available holdings for processing your request. We may prefer from among other records for the same material that indicate greater potential lenders. ILL staff may thus supersede your cited OCLC number and ultimately choose a different record.
ISSN's (International Standard Serial Number)...
These are commonly cited in article references, and appear in one of these formats: '0317-8471' or '2434-561X'. ILLiad request forms of the types 'Journal Article' and 'Conference Paper' include a field to enter this number. If correctly entered, they will aid in expediting proper copyright clearance, as well as searching serial records and library holdings.
ISBN's (International Standard Book Number)...
These are often cited in references to books, book chapters, or conference papers, and are usually 10 or 13 digits in length. The exist it formats of the following types: '978-3-16-148410-0', '0-684-84328-5' or '0-8044-2957-X' (hyphens may vary in position, or be omitted). ILLiad request forms of the types 'Book', 'Book Chapter' and 'Conference Paper' include a field for this number.
Additional Citing Tips...
When filling out your ILLiad request forms, we ask that you enter only OCLC numbers, ISSN's or ISBN's into the their corresponding data fields. Please avoid entering multiple OCLC numbers, ISSN's or ISBN's numbers into these respective fields. If you happen to have any additional such numbers, they may be specified in the 'Notes' field instead, and ILL staff may choose from among them as alternates.
Please do not enter DOI Abstract numbers (of the format such as '10.1080/0952813X.201'), UMI ProQuest AAT Dissertation/Thesis citation numbers (of the format such as '3090205' or 'NR20411') or any other types of citation numbers where OCLC numbers, ISSN's or ISBN's should be placed. These numbers may be entered into the 'Notes' field instead, to avoid any possible confusion or processing delays.
ILL Staff appreciate any information you can provide to help us better determine the availability of the materials you need. Clearly filling out your request transaction forms, as described above, will allow us to work more efficiently in helping to meet your research needs.
Any questions or concerns regarding citations in ILLiad requests may be addressed to ILL staff, by phone at (216) 368-3463 or (216) 368-3517, or by e-mail at email@example.com.
October 23, 2014
OhioLINK Loans vs. ILLiad Loans at KSL
Here are two services we provide that both fall under the category of "Interlibrary Loan", but entail some very distinct differences with regard to library policy. Just briefly making some important comparisons between them below -- please keep in mind that these explanations pertain specifically to how they are implemented in the Kelvin Smith Library and not as at any of the other CWRU campus library system service points.
* OhioLINK items are requested through the OhioLINK Catalog, using your CWRU login and password. You may also link to it from the CWRU Library Catalog, after determining no local copies are available.
* ILLiad items are requested at the ILLiad Main Logon site, by completing and submitting a loan transaction form. You must first create a user account on your initial usage -- this is available only for users from the College of Arts and Sciences, the Case School of Engineering, the Weatherhead School of Management, and university central administration. (Medical, Dental, Nursing, Law & MSASS users must register at their respective ILLiad sites.)
* OhioLINK items may be held at any listed library service point on campus (selected at the time you submit your request). Those to be held at the Kelvin Smith Library will be kept in a self-service open shelving area, by the patron's last name. OhioLINK loans are held for up to 10 days upon receipt from the lender library. (Exceptions include delivery service to select faculty and distance education enrollees, with direct checkout applied.)
* ILLiad loans are held in a secured shelving area (staff access only) in the Kelvin Smith Library, until no later than the original due date assigned by the lender library. We encourage borrowers to pick them up within the first 10 days after notification of receipt. (Exceptions again include delivery service to select faculty and distance education enrollees, with direct checkout applied.) Courtesy notices are also sent out via e-mail within a week before the due date, to remind borrowers their items are still being held.
* OhioLINK loans may be picked up by the requesting patrons, and charged out at the self-serve kiosk or at the Service Center desk (with staff assistance). Authorized users (on behalf of faculty only) may also check them out, after notification sent by the borrowers to request an update to the note field in their circulation accounts. Notify the Access & Delivery staff by e-mail to smithcontact.case.edu.
* ILLiad items must be retrieved by attendant staff (during regular hours only), and are to be checked out at the Service Center desk (valid photo ID & signature required). Authorized users may also sign them out, but the requesting user must specify their names in the ILLiad account (prior to submitting requests), accessed through the ILLiad Main Logon page. Select 'Change User Information' under the 'Main Menu' column to update.
** Loan Period
* OhioLINK books are generally lent for normally 21 days (42 for faculty), with the due date extending from the date they are picked up and checked out. Special items may have shorter loan periods applied, and may have an in-library use restriction applied.
* ILLiad loans are assigned a fixed due date, usually from 7 days to as long as 2 months (or even longer), based on lender libraries' individual policies. These due dates do not vary in relation to the date of checkout. Some ILL items may also have a 'LIBRARY USE ONLY' restriction indicated by the lender.
* You may view all your current OhioLINK and SearchOhio loan transactions (as well as local loans from Kelvin Smith and other CWRU campus library systems) by logging into My Library Account with your CWRU network ID and password.
* You may view all your ILLiad transactions by logging into your account at the ILLiad Main Logon page, using your ILLiad username and password. Current loans may be viewed by selecting 'Checked Out Items' under the 'Main Menu' column, while loans either still in process or ready for pickup will appear under 'Outstanding Requests'.
* You may request renewals on OhioLINK loans by logging into My Library Account. OhioLINK allows up to 6 renewals periods (beginning from the day the renewal is submitted), and these are usually effected in real time. Renewals may be requested on multiple items simultaneously, if desired. Item holds at the home institutions may preclude renewals, however.
* You must log into your account at the ILLiad Main Logon page in order to request renewals on ILL loaned items. Select 'Checked Out Items' from the 'Main Menu' column, and then you may submit a request individually on a checked-out loan transaction, provided it does not have a 'NO RENEWALS' restriction indicated by the lender. ILL staff will mediate renewal requests, and you will receive e-mail notifications based on the responses received from the lenders. Renewal extensions may vary (more or less) from the default 2-week period set in ILLiad, or they may be denied altogether, based upon lender libraries' policies. ILL loans are normally limited to a single renewal request, as well.
* E-mail notifications are normally sent out within a week in advance of the due date of OhioLINK loans, with a reminder to renew. Overdue notices will follow after the due date, then monthly until a printed bill for replacement is sent, unless items have been returned.
* Notifications via e-mail are sent regarding ILLiad loans as follows: 1) Reminder 5 days prior to original due date (advising to request renewal, if eligible), 2) First Overdue notice the day after the original due date, 3) Second Overdue notice 7 days after the due date, 4) Third Overdue notice 14 days after the due date (after which time ILLiad privileges become blocked). Recall notices may also be sent, if we are so notified by the lender libraries.
* OhioLINK loans can be returned to Kelvin Smith Library, but may also be turned in at any other CWRU campus library location, at the service desk or in the book drop (unless otherwise indicated).
* ILLiad items requested through Kelvin Smith Library must be returned directly to Kelvin Smith Library, preferably at the service desk -- avoid placing media and fragile items in the book drop. (Delivered ILL loans may be either mailed by courier or returned in person, to Kelvin Smith Library.)
* OhioLINK book loans accrue an amount of $0.50 per day, to a maximum of $50.00. Special items may be assessed at a greater daily amount. Lost items are billed a replacement fee of $125.00.
* Overdue fees are not levied for overdue ILLiad loans, but your ILL account will be blocked from essential borrowing privileges if any checked out items become more than 14 days past due. ILL privileges will be restored once any and all such loans have been returned to Kelvin Smith Library's ILL staff. Lost items will be billed for replacement, based upon lender libraries' policies upon negotiation communications between our ILL department and theirs. Extended blocking of ILLiad account privileges may also result until missing ILL item procedures become resolved.
Questions regarding OhioLINK loans may be referred to the KSL Access & Delivery team, at (216) 368-3506 or to firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions or concerns about ILLiad loan transactions (for KSL users only) may be addressed to the KSL Interlibrary Loan staff, at (216) 368-3463 or (216) 368-3517, or to email@example.com.
September 17, 2014
Visiting Scholars and ILL Services
Just a few words on how Visiting Scholars may access interlibrary loan services through the KSL ILLiad system...
Visiting Scholars who have been invited by one of the academic departments of the Case School of Engineering, the College of Arts and Sciences or the Weatherhead School of Management are also accorded borrowing privileges at the Kelvin Smith Library. In addition, we offer them the same regular interlibrary loan privileges provided to staff members, graduate students and undergraduates of those colleges -- however, this does not include the extended courtesy services also granted to permanent faculty.
In order to allow for regular library borrowing privileges, a representative of your sponsoring academic department must submit information to the Kelvin Smith Library Access & Delivery staff at the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Once a viable circulation record has been created in our library patron database, you then become eligible for regular interlibrary loan privileges during the period of your appointed term.
Once you have your library privileges established through KSL, you may then go to our ILLiad site to set up your ILL account, at: http://library.case.edu/ksl/ill/. Click on the 'First Time Users' link to register -- after you view our terms of service, you will be led to the 'New User Registration for ILLiad' form. Here you will be prompted to enter all your personal information as required for interlibrary loan services. You will be asked to supply your 'CASE Account Number', which should have been assigned in your circulation account, when you received your regular library privileges; you may look it up at the following link: https://library.case.edu/loc/caseacct/. When asked to supply your status, please select 'Staff', as we do not currently have a special option for Visiting Scholars. For your department, please select the appropriate academic department from among those options available in the 'Department or Major' list.
We hope this will clear up any uncertainty regarding Visiting Scholar library privileges. If you have any further questions about the interlibrary loan services available to you, do not hesitate to contact us at (216) 368-3463 or (216) 368-3517, or at email@example.com.
August 20, 2014
Things to Remember About ILLiad and ILL Services
As we begin another academic year, here are a few friendly reminders about how to best use ILLiad...
* ILLiad is primarily intended (with a few exceptions) for use in obtaining loans and non-returnable copies through interlibrary loan processing. Please avoid submitting requests when materials are already available in the Kelvin Smith Library collections, or in the collections of its branch locations or of other CWRU campus library systems.
* ILLiad is not a substitute for OhioLINK. Please check the OhioLINK (and SearchOhio) collections for items available for request through online borrowing. Please do not request loans through ILLiad when you can already borrow them through OhioLINK, and avoid submitting requests for the same item in both ILLiad and OhioLINK simultaneously.
* Please make sure to provide as complete and clear citations as possible, for the books, copies, etc., that you wish to request. It is always helpful for you to indicate ISBN, ISSN and OCLC Accession numbers, as well as the sources of your citations and any other helpful information. Most ILLiad forms include an appropriate field for these data, including a miscellaneous 'Notes' field.
* Please submit a separate ILLiad request transaction for each individual loan or copy item you require. ILL staff may ask that you re-submit any 'multiple-item' requests into their respective parts.
* Avoid submitting duplicate requests for exactly the same loan or copy item. You may always check your ILLiad account for any outstanding requests that require additional time to be filled, and you can contact ILL staff if you need further details that are not readily visible in the notes or tracking history of a specific transaction. Re-submitting another request will not in any way expedite your receipt of the material you require.
* When setting up a new ILLiad account in the KSL site, please be sure of the following: 1. You have not previously created an account in our system. 2. Your department appears in our list--otherwise, you may actually need to set up your profile with one of the other three CWRU campus library locations (Law, MSASS, Cleveland Health Sciences). 3. You can provide a current e-mail notification account that you check on a regular basis, and can keep it up-to-date.
* ILL staff reserve the right to cancel any ILLiad request at our discretion, and in accordance with any of the above-mentioned criteria.
We hope this will be helpful for your use of out ILLiad system and ILL services, as well as guiding you towards other internally accessible resources. Please also feel free to search this blog for more extensive help topics that have been previously addressed. If you have questions or concerns, please contact ILL staff, by phone at (216) 368-3463 or (216) 368-3517, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
July 11, 2014
Numbers to Remember for Interlibrary Loan Services
Here are some significant numbers to keep in mind with regard to your interlibrary loan services through Kelvin Smith Library's ILLiad system...
5 -- the number of days before the due date of a loaned ILL item at which you will receive your initial reminder notification; this indicates the window until then at which you are able to request a renewal, provided the item is eligible per the lender's policy.
5 -- the maximum number of articles within the most recent 5 years of an individual publication that we may request on ILL in a single calendar year before copyright becomes an issue; requests in excess of this will then require we assume payment of often exorbitant fees per each document, to compensate the publishers.
7 -- the number of days after which the overdue status of an ILL loan starts to become critical, at which the second of two overdue notifications will be sent out; the first of these will have already been sent out the day after the item's original due date.
10 -- the number of days within which we recommend you pick up an ILL loan after we notify you that it has been received; this is not mandatory, and we will not pull and return items that have not been picked up until they actually become overdue.
14 -- the default number of additional days indicated when you submit a renewal request for an eligible loan; this is the extension we present to the lender library, but their reply may vary according to their own specific policy or local lending circumstances.
14 -- the number of days after which the overdue status of a loan now causes your ILL privileges to become blocked; you will receive an overdue notification to this effect, and functions available in your ILLiad account will be limited until you return any and all loans this many (or more) days past due.
20 -- the number of minutes after which your ILLiad online session times out, if no keystroke activity is detected; we recommend that you refresh your session regularly by clicking on the "(Your) ILLiad Page" link at the top of the Main Menu list.
30 -- the maximum number of viewing days available for electronically delivered articles; after this period, aged document files become deleted from the server during ILLiad's next scheduled automatic clean-up session.
60 -- the maximum number of days we will hold a printed article (or other non-returnable item) supplied through interlibrary loan; as we rely almost exclusively on electronic delivery, this will apply only to special instances agreed upon by ILL staff, on a case-by-case basis and with requisite justification.
We hope this information will help guide you in your use of ILLiad and ILL services. If you have questions or concerns, please contact ILL staff, by phone at (216) 368-3463 or (216) 368-3517, or by e-mail at email@example.com. Detailed information about interlibrary loan services and policies that might well answer your questions can also be found at our Customer Help page.
June 23, 2014
ILL Books May Become Part of the KSL Collections
In case you weren't aware, some of the materials we borrow as "loans" for ILL requests are actually purchased for our retention, and may eventually be incorporated into the collections of the Kelvin Smith Library system.
Occasionally, we take advantage of certain services by various suppliers who provide us with "non-returnable" book purchases as an alternate form of interlibrary loan transaction. Alibris, Better World Books, and some other vendors offer an option to supply these items via the regular ILL request process. Sometimes, we are also able to obtain reproductions of theses and dissertations from the libraries of the respective granting institutions through ILL, when such titles cannot be lent and are not available for purchase from UMI ProQuest. Once in a great while, we may receive an offer to have very rare items--usually held only at individual foreign libraries--reproduced in print, CD-ROM, or other physical form.
Once we receive these, we process them in ILLiad as loan-type transactions, and will assign them an arbitrary but reasonable due date. Along with this, we will specify that they are allowed unlimited renewals (which will be documented in the "Notes" field for the request and be visible to the user).
What, you may ask, do we do with them after you're finished using them? Well, our normal procedure is to complete the request transactions in ILLiad (as there is no "return" process involved), and then submit the items to the appropriate subject area Research Services Librarian for consideration to be added to our own collections. In many cases they do actually become included, if it is determined they will be useful for the research interests of future library patrons (likely including the original requester). However, sometimes a granting institution library will specify that a reproduced thesis or dissertation may only be used once (by the requesting patron) for ILL purposes, and then must be discarded and not be added to any collections--as a condition of the original service agreement. Usually, in such a case the requester is also required to sign a declaration form, to confirm the title will only be used for scholarly purposes and assure it will be properly cited.
Well, we hope this information is helpful (or at least somewhat enlightening) to your understanding of part of the interlibrary loan service.
May 13, 2014
Cumulative Table of Contents for this Blog (to Date, Revised III)
Well... got "writer's block" this month, so here we go again -- as always, hope this list is helpful.
Textbooks on Interlibrary Loan -- August 26, 2008
Archives of American Art Holdings -- September 9, 2008
Requesting Renewals in ILLiad -- September 25, 2008
Proper Entry of Data into Article Request Forms -- October 14, 2008
One Item per ILLiad Transaction, Please -- October 29, 2008
Checking Local & OhioLINK Holdings First -- November 19, 2008
Blocked ILLiad Accounts -- December 3, 2008
ILLiad Loans vs. OhioLINK Loans & Local Checkouts -- December 18, 2008
Abbreviated Titles -- January 23, 2009
'Notes' and 'Source of Citation' Fields in ILLiad Request Forms -- February 13, 2009
Authorized Users -- March 4, 2009
'Library-Use-Only' Materials Borrowed through ILLiad -- March 25, 2009
'Other' Request Form (Miscellaneous Loans) -- April 16, 2009
Retrieving Electronic Delivery Articles -- May 5, 2009
Viewing E-Mail Notifications from ILLiad -- June 3, 2009
Tracking in Your ILLiad Requests & Explanation of Statuses -- July 7, 2009
Which ILLiad Site or ILL Service Point to Use? -- August 7, 2009
Variation in Electronic Delivery Quality -- September 8, 2009
Theses & Dissertations -- Availability through Interlibrary Loan -- October 6, 2009
Cancelling ILLiad Requests Already Submitted -- November 4, 2009
Alternative Request Forms & Resources -- December 8, 2009
Foreign Language Titles in Interlibrary Loan Requests -- January 22, 2010
Copyright Issues & ILL -- February 24, 2010
Converted ILL Requests -- March 24, 2010
ILLiad System Alerts -- April 27, 2010
Requesting Specific Editions & New Books on ILL -- May 19, 2010
Keeping Your ILLiad User Information Up-to-Date -- June 28, 2010
Requesting Books vs. Book Chapters -- July 28, 2010
*Cumulative Table of Contents for this Blog (to Date) -- August 27, 2010
Requesting '[Epub ahead of print]' Articles on ILL -- September 24, 2010
Multiple-Part Loans Borrowed through ILL -- October 27, 2010
Blocked from Using ILLiad - Revisited -- November 17, 2010
OCLC WorldCat and ILLiad Requests -- December 15, 2010
E-Books through Interlibrary Loan? -- January 26, 2011
Your ILLiad Password -- February 22, 2011
Requesting Entire Series through ILL -- March 25, 2011
Duplicate Requests in ILLiad -- April 21, 2011
Paperwork with Loaned ILL Books -- May 25, 2011
ILLiad Menu in Your Login Session -- June 23, 2011
Case Account Number and ILLiad New User Registration -- July 25, 2011
Courtesy Electronic Delivery Materials for Faculty ILLiad Users at KSL -- August 24, 2011
*Cumulative Table of Contents for this Blog (to Date, Revised) -- September 20, 2011
One Item per ILLiad Transaction, Please - Revisited -- October 25, 2011
ILL Do's and Don't's - 1st Installment -- November 23, 2011
OCLC Non-Supplier Locations -- December, 27, 2011
ILL Do's and Don't's - 2nd Installment -- January 25, 2012
Quick List of ILL Pointers -- February 23, 2012
Reminders about Electronic Deliveries -- March 23, 2012
Some Tips on Properly Filling out ILL Request Forms -- April 23, 2012
Some Brief Comments about ILL Turnaround Times -- May 23, 2012
Logging in with Your ILLiad UserName & Password -- June 19, 2012
ILLiad Login Problems? -- It May be Your Browser -- July 24, 2012
Tips for Distance Ed Graduates (DM Program, Document Delivery & ILL) -- August 28, 2012
5 Quick Tips for ILL -- September 21, 2012
2 Tips Regarding Article Requests -- October 25, 2012
Browsers and Viewing PDF's in ILLiad -- November 20, 2012
ILLiad Login vs. Single Sign-On -- December 20, 2012
ILLiad Requests and Non-Roman Alphabetical Characters -- January 28, 2013
Loan Notifications from ILLiad: Overdues, Renewals, Recalls, etc. -- February 19, 2013
Reminder About Library-Use-Only Loans -- March 6, 2013
Faculty Campus Delivery & ILLiad Loans -- April 17, 2013
*Cumulative Table of Contents for this Blog (to Date, Revised II) -- May 22, 2013
Coming Soon -- Another Overdue Notice ... and a Few Comments on Loans -- June 18, 2013
Planning Your Use of ILLiad Loaned Materials -- July 24, 2013
Some Comments on Electronic Delivery -- August 27, 2013
ILL and the New KSL Service Center Configuration -- September 20, 2013
A Few General ILL Comments Worth Repeating -- October 24, 2013
ILLiad Help Pages May Have the Answer -- November 18, 2013
Some Timely End-of-Year Odds and Ends -- December 17, 2013
New Feature--ILL Staff Can Log into ILLiad as Patron, and an Update on Requesting Renewals -- January 23, 2014
Memory Cues for KSL ILL Staff Contacts -- February 20, 2014
A Few Words About Picking up Your ILLiad Loans -- March 19, 2014
ILL Books No Longer Needed? -- April 22, 2014
Good luck, graduates! Have a nice Summer, everyone!
Questions or comments? ILL staff may be contacted by phone at (216) 368-3463 or (216) 368-3517, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.