September 25, 2015
Kelvin Smith Library is a SHARES Member
So what does this mean? Well, the SHARES Research Libraries Group is a worldwide consortium consisting of over 100 participating institutions. Membership in this group affords us preferential treatment for interlibrary loan services among our peer libraries. Researchers from our university also enjoy comparable on-site collection and service access (short of full borrowing privileges), while visiting any of these locations. This is particularly valuable to traveling scholars in facilitating their research endeavors while away from our campus.
For your convenience, below is a list of those institutions closest geographically to our university, primarily within Ohio and its surrounding states (and province). Note there are currently no SHARES members in Indiana, Kentucky, West Virginia or Wisconsin.
Bryn Mawr College, Canaday Library
Carnegie Mellon University, Hunt Library
Haverford College Library
Pennsylvania State University Libraries
Philadelphia Museum of Art
Swarthmore College, McCabe Library
Temple University, Paley Library
University of Pennsylvania, Biddle Law Library
University of Pennsylvania, Van Pelt Library
WESTERN & CENTRAL NEW YORK:
SOUTHERN ONTARIO (CA):
Others of Major Importance:
During the course of our membership in the SHARES program, we have been provided easier access to the collections of a number of specialized and international libraries. This has allowed us to obtain use of materials we previously were not permitted to borrow or have reproduced. We hope our users will also choose to take advantage of the special benefits available with on-site use at other member institution locations.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding ILL services and the SHARES library consortium, please contact us, by phone at (216) 368-3463 or (216) 368-3517, or by e-mail at email@example.com.
August 22, 2015
Some Quick Tips for the Coming Year + Some ILL Statistics
Just a short list of recommendations on how to make the best of your interlibrary loan services as the academic year commences...
* Always be sure to avoid requesting materials when they are already available in the collections of Kelvin Smith Library, other CWRU campus library systems or OhioLINK member institutions, or in accessible electronic resources to which we subscribe.
* Submit your ILL requests well in advance of the time you need them for your research. We often can provide materials in very short order, but there are always those items that require additional time and effort to obtain.
* Pick up your loaned items as soon as possible from the KSL Service Center, to make the best use of them. ILL returnable materials always have fixed due dates, so the quicker you check them out, the longer you'll have to use them.
* Return your loans as soon as you can once you have finished using them, or submit a request for renewal just before the due date if the items are eligible for an extension.
* Retrieve your electronically delivered articles as soon as possible. You normally have only up to 30 days past the time of delivery to do this, so if you wait too long they may be gone for good.
* Please pay attention to the e-mail notifications we regularly send out to you. Overdue notices and pick-up reminders are routinely dispatched to our users, and ignoring them may result in loss of access to borrowed items, or worse yet, suspension of your ILL privileges.
Thank you all for keeping these in mind as the 2015-2016 school year begins, so we may better serve your research needs.
And now, for your curiosity and personal edification, we present...
July 30, 2015
Using Appropriate Forms When Submitting Requests in ILLiad
Just a quick overview regarding which forms to fill out for the corresponding material types...
* Journal Article: Journal and newspaper articles -- one cited article per request form, please.
* Book Chapter: Book chapters -- please provide chapter number if possible.
* Conference Paper: Research papers presented in the published proceedings for a conference, symposium, meeting, etc.
* Patent: Patents or patent applications.
* Standards Document: Technical, industrial, safety standards, etc.
* Book: Books, monographs, music scores, published proceedings, exhibition catalogues, etc. -- one edition only per request, please.
* Report: Academic department and corporate research reports, etc.
* Thesis: Thesis and dissertations -- please include reference to granting institution.
* Other (Misc. Loan): -- Special type LOANS only, such as audio-visual materials, journal volumes in print or on microfilm, mixed-media collections, etc. -- DO NOT use this form to cite articles, chapters, papers, patents, standards, or any of the loan-type materials for which appropriate forms already exist. (*See also note below.)
When you use the correct form to submit your ILLiad request, you help us deliver your required materials more quickly, by allowing ILL staff to avoid additional editing and transaction conversion. Your cooperation and consideration is greatly appreciated, as it will help to prevent unnecessary processing delays.
Questions or concerns? Please contact ILL staff, by phone at (216) 368-3463 or (216) 368-3517, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* FYI: "Misc." is the conventional abbreviation for "Miscellaneous" (which is rarely fully spelled out), adjective -- definition: "of various types or from different sources".
June 24, 2015
Cumulative Table of Contents for this Blog (to Date, Revised IV)
Short on ideas again, so here it is -- as always, hope this is useful.
Textbooks on Interlibrary Loan -- August 26, 2008
Archives of American Art Holdings -- September 9, 2008
Requesting Renewals in ILLiad -- September 25, 2008
Proper Entry of Data into Article Request Forms -- October 14, 2008
One Item per ILLiad Transaction, Please -- October 29, 2008
Checking Local & OhioLINK Holdings First -- November 19, 2008
Blocked ILLiad Accounts -- December 3, 2008
ILLiad Loans vs. OhioLINK Loans & Local Checkouts -- December 18, 2008
Abbreviated Titles -- January 23, 2009
'Notes' and 'Source of Citation' Fields in ILLiad Request Forms -- February 13, 2009
Authorized Users -- March 4, 2009
'Library-Use-Only' Materials Borrowed through ILLiad -- March 25, 2009
'Other' Request Form (Miscellaneous Loans) -- April 16, 2009
Retrieving Electronic Delivery Articles -- May 5, 2009
Viewing E-Mail Notifications from ILLiad -- June 3, 2009
Tracking in Your ILLiad Requests & Explanation of Statuses -- July 7, 2009
Which ILLiad Site or ILL Service Point to Use? -- August 7, 2009
Variation in Electronic Delivery Quality -- September 8, 2009
Theses & Dissertations -- Availability through Interlibrary Loan -- October 6, 2009
Cancelling ILLiad Requests Already Submitted -- November 4, 2009
Alternative Request Forms & Resources -- December 8, 2009
Foreign Language Titles in Interlibrary Loan Requests -- January 22, 2010
Copyright Issues & ILL -- February 24, 2010
Converted ILL Requests -- March 24, 2010
ILLiad System Alerts -- April 27, 2010
Requesting Specific Editions & New Books on ILL -- May 19, 2010
Keeping Your ILLiad User Information Up-to-Date -- June 28, 2010
Requesting Books vs. Book Chapters -- July 28, 2010
*Cumulative Table of Contents for this Blog (to Date) -- August 27, 2010
Requesting '[Epub ahead of print]' Articles on ILL -- September 24, 2010
Multiple-Part Loans Borrowed through ILL -- October 27, 2010
Blocked from Using ILLiad - Revisited -- November 17, 2010
OCLC WorldCat and ILLiad Requests -- December 15, 2010
E-Books through Interlibrary Loan? -- January 26, 2011
Your ILLiad Password -- February 22, 2011
Requesting Entire Series through ILL -- March 25, 2011
Duplicate Requests in ILLiad -- April 21, 2011
Paperwork with Loaned ILL Books -- May 25, 2011
ILLiad Menu in Your Login Session -- June 23, 2011
Case Account Number and ILLiad New User Registration -- July 25, 2011
Courtesy Electronic Delivery Materials for Faculty ILLiad Users at KSL -- August 24, 2011
*Cumulative Table of Contents for this Blog (to Date, Revised) -- September 20, 2011
One Item per ILLiad Transaction, Please - Revisited -- October 25, 2011
ILL Do's and Don't's - 1st Installment -- November 23, 2011
OCLC Non-Supplier Locations -- December, 27, 2011
ILL Do's and Don't's - 2nd Installment -- January 25, 2012
Quick List of ILL Pointers -- February 23, 2012
Reminders about Electronic Deliveries -- March 23, 2012
Some Tips on Properly Filling out ILL Request Forms -- April 23, 2012
Some Brief Comments about ILL Turnaround Times -- May 23, 2012
Logging in with Your ILLiad UserName & Password -- June 19, 2012
ILLiad Login Problems? -- It May be Your Browser -- July 24, 2012
Tips for Distance Ed Graduates (DM Program, Document Delivery & ILL) -- August 28, 2012
5 Quick Tips for ILL -- September 21, 2012
2 Tips Regarding Article Requests -- October 25, 2012
Browsers and Viewing PDF's in ILLiad -- November 20, 2012
ILLiad Login vs. Single Sign-On -- December 20, 2012
ILLiad Requests and Non-Roman Alphabetical Characters -- January 28, 2013
Loan Notifications from ILLiad: Overdues, Renewals, Recalls, etc. -- February 19, 2013
Reminder About Library-Use-Only Loans -- March 6, 2013
Faculty Campus Delivery & ILLiad Loans -- April 17, 2013
*Cumulative Table of Contents for this Blog (to Date, Revised II) -- May 22, 2013
Coming Soon -- Another Overdue Notice ... and a Few Comments on Loans -- June 18, 2013
Planning Your Use of ILLiad Loaned Materials -- July 24, 2013
Some Comments on Electronic Delivery -- August 27, 2013
ILL and the New KSL Service Center Configuration -- September 20, 2013
A Few General ILL Comments Worth Repeating -- October 24, 2013
ILLiad Help Pages May Have the Answer -- November 18, 2013
Some Timely End-of-Year Odds and Ends -- December 17, 2013
New Feature--ILL Staff Can Log into ILLiad as Patron, and an Update on Requesting Renewals -- January 23, 2014
Memory Cues for KSL ILL Staff Contacts -- February 20, 2014
A Few Words About Picking up Your ILLiad Loans -- March 19, 2014
ILL Books No Longer Needed? -- April 22, 2014
*Cumulative Table of Contents for this Blog (to Date, Revised III) -- May 13, 2014
ILL Books May Become Part of the KSL Collections -- June 23, 2014
Numbers to Remember for Interlibrary Loan Services -- July 11, 2014
Things to Remember About ILLiad and ILL Services -- August 20, 2014
Visiting Scholars and ILL Services -- September 17, 2014
OhioLINK Loans vs. ILLiad Loans at KSL -- October 23, 2014
OCLC Numbers, ISSN's & ISBN's When Submitting ILL Requests -- November 21, 2014
Some Quick End-of-Year Reminders About ILL -- December 5, 2014
Quick Refresher Course on Password Reset -- January 21, 2015
Loans vs. Copies - When Catalogued Monographs Turn Out to be Journal Article or Book Chapter Reprints -- February 13, 2015
ILL Convenient Services at the KSL Service Center -- March 16, 2015
Essential ILLiad vs. OhioLINK -- April 20, 2015
Don't Get Blocked! -- Maintaining Uninterrupted ILLiad Service at KSL -- May 20, 2015
Have a nice Summer, everyone!
Questions or comments? ILL staff may be contacted by phone at (216) 368-3463 or (216) 368-3517, or by e-mail at email@example.com.
May 20, 2015
Don't Get Blocked! -- Maintaining Uninterrupted ILLiad Service at KSL
There are a few major reasons your ILLiad account and ILL privileges can become blocked. Two of these are as a result of delinquent status or incorrect data related to your library circulation account. The third is due to the status of your ILLiad account itself. These are listed below, along with the necessary actions required for resolving them. Please read on...
* Blocked Due to Library Fines
-- Your CWRU library circulation account is carrying an excess of $15.00 in fines, and this is blocking the authentication process that allows you to log into your ILLiad account. We recommend you pay down your fines to at least this amount -- or, better yet, completely down to $0.00 -- to resolve this issue. Contact staff at the KSL Main Service Desk at 216-368-3506 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have further questions or concerns.
** Additional explanations may be found in the ILLiad Customer Help page. You may also contact ILL staff at email@example.com, for further assistance.
* Blocked Due to User Not Found
-- If you are setting up a new ILLiad account, you may have incorrectly entered your CASE Account Number in the registration form. You can verify this number at the following site: https://library.case.edu/loc/caseacct/. Access this information with your CASE Network ID and password, and copy it into the ILLiad new user page in the respective data field.
** Contact ILL staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or Main Service Desk staff at email@example.com, for assistance. Additional explanations may also be found in the ILLiad Customer Help page.
-- This happens less frequently, but your current CASE Account Number may not match the one originally entered into your ILLiad account. Again, please verify this number at the following site: https://library.case.edu/loc/caseacct/, and contact ILL staff at 216-368-3463 or 216-368-3517, or at firstname.lastname@example.org for follow-up assistance.
** Additional explanations regarding this may be found in the ILLiad Customer Help page, as well.
* Blocked Due to Prolonged Overdue ILL Checkout
-- Finally, you may be able to log into your ILLiad account, but will be blocked from submitting any new ILL requests. This is due to your having at least one currently checked-out ILL loan in excess of 14 days overdue. Return any and all such check-outs to Kelvin Smith Library at your earliest opportunity, and contact ILL staff at 216-368-3463 or 216-368-3517, or at email@example.com, to resolve this issue.
** Additional explanations may, of course, be found in the ILLiad Customer Help page.
We encourage all our library clientele to remain in good standing with both their main circulation and interlibrary loan accounts, so that we can continue to provide the best possible service in supporting their research needs. Thank you very much for your conscientiousness and cooperation.
April 20, 2015
Essential ILLiad vs. OhioLINK
Here is a brief rundown of the basic differences between ILLiad and OhioLINK, as they complement the array of Kelvin Smith Library's service offerings...
* ILLiad provides both loans (returnables) and copies (non-returnables).
* OhioLINK supplies loans only, although occasional reproductions of entire non-circulating items have been provided on a case-by-case basis at lenders' discretion.
* ILLiad loan periods and renewal policies vary with individual lending institutions.
* OhioLINK loan periods and renewal policies are uniform within the consortium, with some variation based on material type and user status.
* ILLiad requires individual account set-up by the user. It functions independently of university single sign-on, but relies upon valid authentication with an active circulation system library account.
* OhioLINK requires logging into service through the library online catalog (as with single sign-on), in tandem with an active circulation system library account.
* ILLiad is available at all four of the university's library systems (KSL, Law, MSASS, CHSL), and location choice for registration is based on your affiliation (i.e., college or department) within the university.
* OhioLINK is automatically part of your overall library privileges as a member of the university community.
* ILLiad logon requires good standing in your library circulation account (e.g., fines not in excess of $15), but also no current ILL loans exceeding two weeks past their due dates.
* OhioLINK requires good standing in your library circulation account (e.g., fines not in excess of $15), as with any on-campus library borrowing.
* ILLiad current transactions must be viewed by logging into an ILLiad session.
* OhioLINK current loan transactions are viewed by logging into "My Account" in the in the library's online catalog, together with any local checkouts.
* ILLiad loans are to be picked up at and returned directly to Kelvin Smith Library. This applies likewise for any other supporting campus service point library (Law, MSASS, CHSL) through a which loan request was processed.
* OhioLINK loans may be picked up at any available campus library service point (selected at the time the request is submitted), and may be returned to any of the same locations regardless of original pickup site.
* ILLiad loans are indirect, with Kelvin Smith Library (or another supporting campus service point library) acting as an intermediary borrower. Likewise, renewals are processed and mediated through your library's ILL staff, necessitating some response delay time.
* OhioLINK loans are directly checked out to the borrowing patron, on his or her internal library circulation account. Renewals are requested directly by the patron, with responses usually occurring within real time.
* ILLiad provides patrons with copies via electronic delivery, including journal and newspaper articles, book chapters, and conference proceeding papers.
* OhioLINK does not provide copies, and access to electronic journals and books subscribed to by other consortium member libraries are generally not available to CWRU users.
* ILLiad draws most of its resources from libraries within the United States (including Ohio, of course), but may also obtain materials from Canada, Europe, Asia, Australia and other potential lender locations throughout the world.
* OhioLINK draws all of its loans from member libraries within the state of Ohio, as well as from the Center for Research Libraries (in Chicago, Illinois).
* ILLiad is NOT the "International Version of OhioLINK", regardless of what the tour guides say! ILLiad and OhioLINK function differently from one another, with virtually no duplication, to supplement the internal collections and resources of Kelvin Smith Library.
-- Links to helpful resources referenced above...
-- Useful contact information...
For more detailed information on the differences between these loan transactions, please also see my previous entry, titled "OhioLINK Loans vs. ILLiad Loans at KSL", from October 23, 2014.
March 16, 2015
ILL Convenient Services at the KSL Service Center
Just a brief reminder of some of the things related to your ILLiad services that can be handled by Access & Delivery staff at the Kelvin Smith Library Main Service Center...
These are the services you can take care of routinely at the KSL service desk, with the assistance of attending AD team members:
* Basic help with initial ILLiad account registration process
* Pick-up & check-out of ILLiad loan items -- please ask staff as this is not self-serve
* Hold shelf availability of ILLiad loan materials -- inquire in-person or by phone
* Return of ILLiad loan items -- to desk or in book drop (except for A/V or fragile items)
* Request a renewal (if item is eligible)
* Replacement of signed-out 'Library Use Only' loans to the hold shelf for future use
* Return of 'Library Use Only' loans still checked out but being kept securely on the hold shelf -- in-person or by phone
* Return of unwanted ILL items still on hold but not yet picked up -- in-person or by phone
* Brief ILLiad patron account inquiry
* Basic patron authentication issues -- 'good-standing' status of your library patron account in the circulation database
* Brief ILL loan status inquiry -- active transactions only (excluding article requests)
* General ILL policy information -- links to KSL ILLiad logon page & help pages
Of course, all the above can also be handled by contacting ILL staff directly. Below are some issues that will need to be addressed specifically by referral to ILL staff members:
* In-depth ILL service and policy issues
* Resolve patron account registration and web access issues
* Unblock patron record -- after overdue loan issues have been cleared
* Merging duplicate patron records & re-activating disavowed accounts
* Request status detail inquiry -- loan or copy transactions still in process & not yet received, citation discrepancies, potential suppliers, etc.
* Electronic delivery concerns (article requests only)
* Password reset & user account information update assistance
* E-mail notification issues
* Lost item replacement compensation issues
* Anything & everything else ILL...
You may contact Access & Delivery staff at the KSL Main Service Center by phone at (216) 368-3506 during regular hours. As always, please feel free to contact ILL staff, by phone at (216) 368-3463 or (216) 368-3517, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.