Tips for Distance Ed Graduates (DM Program, Document Delivery & ILL)
Here are some guidelines for using ILLiad, for students enrolled in the Doctor of Management degree program at the Weatherhead School of Management...
Requesting Articles (Journal or Newspaper/Magazine Articles, Book Chapters, Conference Papers, etc.)--
* In most cases, you should submit your article requests via ILLiad, regardless of whatever potential lender library location source we may draw upon. We will attempt to fill your request to the best of our ability, through either interlibrary loan or internal document delivery service.
* Please request only ONE article, book chapter, or paper per individual transaction. This is primarily so for reasons involving copyright, as well as lender processing requirements and expectations. (ILL staff reserve the right to cancel multiple-article requests, and to advise you to re-submit them properly.)
* If multiple book chapters or conference papers from the same circulating monograph item are required, we recommend requesting the entire book or published proceedings as an alternate course of action (see under 'Requesting Loans' below).
* You may wish to check the Case Catalog (for holdings in KSL, R.R.C.C., Music, etc.), OhioLINK, or OCLC WorldCat for potential holdings -- this can be helpful, but is not required, as including an ISSN or OCLC accession number will assist us in locating sources. In any case, ILL staff are able to determine whether to obtain materials from our own local holdings or through interlibrary loan.
* If available in our Electronic Journals collection, we STRONGLY recommend downloading your articles directly from there, and be sure to turn on your VPN connection. (ILL staff reserve the right to cancel requests for electronic articles from this resource, and direct you to this link.) If, however, the Electronic Journal resource is inaccessible (in part, or as a whole), you may submit requests through ILLiad as long as you also indicate this circumstance in the 'Notes' field of the request form.
Requesting Loans (Books, Theses, Reports, etc.)--
* In most cases, you will submit your book requests using ILLiad, but you may also frequently consult OhioLINK for many loans not held in our own KSL collections.
* Please request only ONE loanable item per individual transaction, perhaps with the exception of a multi-volume set of reasonable size. Multiple volumes in a long series are preferably requested in individual transactions. (ILL staff reserve the right to cancel requests for unreasonable numbers of parts, and to advise you to re-submit your requests individually.)
* If more than one edition of the same title needed, we prefer that you request each copy separately. (ILL staff reserve the right to select one edition for processing, or to cancel and advise you to re-submit your requests for different editions separately.)
* Please check the Case Catalog for Kelvin Smith Library system holdings (KSL, R.R.C.C., Music, etc.). If copies are available in these collections, submit your request using an ILLiad loan form. We will provide these items through internal document delivery, and you will normally be given a full semester loan period.
* If no copies are currently available in the KSL system, first check OhioLINK, and submit your request there if any copies are shown as available in member library collections. (ILL staff reserve the right to cancel requests submitted in ILLiad for titles that are readily available directly through OhioLINK, and advise you to borrow by that method instead.)
* If no copies are available in OhioLINK (or SearchOhio), submit your request again using ILLiad. If you have the ISBN, or have searched WorldCat and have the OCLC accession number, you may include them in your ILL request form submission to assist ILL staff in identifying exact items and better locating potential lenders. In this case, we will attempt to borrow items from external interlibrary loan resources.
* CAVEAT: Available copies showing in the Case Catalog that are not in the collections of the KSL system (which include Music, R.R.C.C., Astronomy, Iron Mountain) -- i.e., Cleveland Health Sciences Library (Allen & HCL), MSASS, Law, Garber Library and others sharing our catalog -- may preclude the proper submission of loan requests in OhioLINK. If this is ever the case, you may use ILLiad instead to enter your request, and indicate in the 'Notes' field of the form that this circumstance is presenting a difficulty.
Specifying Loan Delivery Method
* When you initially register your account in ILLiad, you do not have the option of indicating this setting option, as it is a special service not available to all eligible users of KSL's ILL services.
* Select 'Distance Ed Graduate' as your status, and 'DM' as your department or program. Upon your first session, please select the special option from your Main Menu, 'Change User Information', where you can select 'Mail to Address' as your Loan Delivery Method, as opposed to the default 'Hold for Pickup'. (You may also change this at any time in future sessions, if appropriate to your varying needs.)
* If you do not make this change, we will assume this to be your accepted selection, and hold your received ILL loaned items at the KSL main service desk rather than sending them to your indicated delivery address. If you reside locally, and prefer to pick up these items at the library, feel free to leave the original setting of 'Hold for Pickup' as is.
* NOTE: ILL staff maintain a listing of all current Distance Ed Graduates enrolled in the DM program, and can verify your eligibility for this special delivery service. We reserve the right to reset this option to 'Hold for Pickup' and your status to 'Graduate' or whichever one corresponds to that in official university records, if you are not a valid member of this program.
We hope this clarifies most of the questions and concerns regarding your general use of our interlibrary loan and document delivery services.