A Few Words About Picking up Your ILLiad Loans
Just some reminders when you come to pick up loaned materials borrowed through ILLiad...
* You will normally receive a notice by e-mail informing you that there is something being held for you to pick up at the library. The message will include the title, due date, any restrictions, and any authorized users you have named in your account at the time your requested item was received at our location. Remote enrollees of distance education programs and eligible faculty opting for campus delivery will receive a variant message, and will not need to pick-up their circulable ILL items (which also become automatically checked out in the ILLiad system).
* We recommend that you come in to sign out the material within 10 days of the date you received the notification, but we will still hold the item up until the due date assigned by the lender library. You may still have the opportunity to extend your loan period by requesting a renewal (after you have actually checked the item out).
* We prefer that you please ask attending staff at the Kelvin Smith Library Service Center Desk to retrieve your items, as they are held in a secured shelving area which is kept locked after the library's regular business hours. It is not considered self-service, unlike the open shelves that house KSL and OhioLINK items.
* You (or your authorized user) will be presented with a check-out slip, which you must sign and date, and return to the desk staff member. A valid CWRU ID card (or any valid photo ID, if an authorized user not affiliated with the university) will also be required, and the staff member will then be able to check out your material in real time through the ILLiad circulation system.
* ILLiad loans CANNOT BE CHECKED OUT through the self-serve kiosk, unlike Kelvin Smith Library loans and most OhioLINK loans. ILLiad is an external, self-contained system which is essentially independent of the library's catalog and circulation system. This is the reason you must sign them out directly at the Service Center with the assistance of desk staff, and why we discourage self-retrieval from the ILL shelf area.
* Items with a "Library Use Only" restriction must be checked out as with all ILL materials, for as long as they are to be in use. You may take them from the Service Center area for use within the Kelvin Smith Library building, but must also return them there after each individual usage period. A record of uses will be kept by our staff, and the items will be kept in the secured area during times of non-use. Upon your final instance of use, we recommend that you indicate definitively to attending staff that the materials are to be returned to the lending library. If you do not make this clear, they may remain on the shelf (still checked out on your account) until they become due, and you will begin receiving automated notices. At this point you have another opportunity to confirm that they are no longer needed, by contacting ILL staff by phone or e-mail (conveniently in reply to the sent messages).
* During periods of extreme high-volume public service, KSL Service Center desk staff may (upon rare occasions) direct you to the ILL shelving area to retrieve your own items. Please note that due to frequently varying material types and item sizes of loaned items, it may be difficult to properly locate them within this confined space -- e.g., some items are packed tightly together and may not be readily identified as to requesting patron name, some may become lost in the back of the shelves due to regular shifting, while others may be relegated to a special storage location (as with microfilm reels). This would normally be avoided through assistance from a staff member, and in any case you would still need to sign out the slips and have the items checked out at the desk.
We hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to contact ILL staff, by phone at (216) 368-3463 or (216) 368-3517, or by e-mail at email@example.com.