July 20, 2007

Case Western Reserve University names first Louis Stokes Congressional Black Caucus Scholarship recipient

Larry Boyd

Larry Boyd, a recent graduate of Cleveland's East Technical High School, has been named the first recipient of the Louis Stokes Congressional Black Caucus Scholarship at Case Western Reserve University. Boyd will enroll at the university this fall.

The scholarship, which is renewable for four years of undergraduate study, was established to provide funding to students who are economically and/or educationally disadvantaged and are likely to succeed in a competitive academic environment. Members of the Congressional Black Caucus nominate students.

"I'm very appreciative of this award and very proud to receive it," said Boyd, a first-generation college student. "This award provides me with a great start to my college career and something to keep focused on in the future."

Boyd ranked second of 87 students in his graduating class and took postsecondary classes at Cuyahoga Community College. He also worked with his peers as a math tutor and teaching assistant and was a member of National Honor Society, Education Talent Search and the Look Up to Cleveland diversity group.

Outside of the classroom, he volunteered for various community service and neighborhood projects and captained both the football and track and field teams at East Tech. He participated in the Cuyahoga County East-West High School All-Star Football Game on June 15 and will play for the Case Western Reserve Spartans football team in the fall.

"When I started to look at colleges, I decided that if I was going to stay in Ohio, then I should go to the best school in Ohio," Boyd said. "My teachers and coaches suggested that I look at Case and I really liked what I saw.

"I'm determined to succeed at Case and make my parents and grandparents proud."

The full-tuition scholarship recognizes a small number of incoming first-year students whose records of achievement, leadership and school or community service are particularly noteworthy.

Boyd was nominated for the Louis Stokes Congressional Black Caucus Scholarship by alumna Stephanie Tubbs Jones (FSM '71, LAW '74), congresswoman for the 11th Ohio House District.

"The Undergraduate Admission Scholarship Committee, which selects the award recipient, looks at a number of criteria, including academic performance, leadership roles, extracurricular activities and opportunities created for themselves despite hardships or existential obstacles that they have overcome," said Lisa Dunnigan, assistant director and multicultural student recruitment coordinator for undergraduate admission. "Larry really stood out among the candidates."

To be eligible for the scholarship, students must be admitted to Case Western Reserve and be nominated by a member of the Congressional Black Caucus who represents the congressional district where the student resides. The admissions process takes place before the nomination is given consideration. Students must also have a grade point average of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale and rank in the top 20 percent of their class.

To learn more about undergraduate admission and scholarship opportunities, refer to the Undergraduate Admission Web site.

For more information contact Jason Tirotta, 216.368.6890.

Posted by: Marsha Bragg, July 20, 2007 09:37 AM | News Topics: Athletics, HeadlinesMain, Philanthropy, Provost Initiatives, Students, Students, Students, Students, Students

Case Western Reserve University is committed to the free exchange of ideas, reasoned debate and intellectual dialogue. Speakers and scholars with a diversity of opinions and perspectives are invited to the campus to provide the community with important points of view, some of which may be deemed controversial. The views and opinions of those invited to speak on the campus do not necessarily reflect the views of the university administration or any other segment of the university community.