October 15, 2007

Case sophomore steps up to the plate at Jacobs Field for tonight's national anthem

ashley nehem

Prior to the first pitch of Game 3 of the American League Championship Series on Monday, October 15, Case Western Reserve University sophomore Ashley Nemeh will take the field during pregame ceremonies to sing the national anthem in front of a sell-out crowd at Jacobs Field.

The Westlake native was asked by Cleveland Indians officials to perform before the team's first ALCS home game against the Boston Red Sox, which will be broadcast live to a national audience on Fox (channel 8 locally). She'll return later in the evening to sing God Bless America during the seventh-inning stretch.

Her inclusion into the pregame starting lineup put a Grammy Award-winning country music superstar on the bench.

"[The Indians] told me that if I couldn't do it, then it would be LeAnn Rimes," Nemeh said. "I was just glad I could say yes!"

Nemeh will be the second Case Western Reserve student to sing the national anthem at Jacobs Field this season. Senior Esther Erb sang The Star Spangled Banner before the Indians' September 19 game against the Detroit Tigers.

"I was really excited when they asked me to perform since I didn't have to audition," said Nemeh, who has been singing in public since she was eight. "They knew of me from my local performances and recordings. I just had to submit a CD," she said of the baseball organization.

The former St. Joseph's Academy honors student has released two albums, one of church hymns titled "Inspirational" and a holiday album called "Christmas." Both are available locally at Barnes & Noble and Borders bookstores. She also released an original single, one which she wrote herself, last year.

"I write my own music and I'm working on an album of original songs," she said.

Nemeh has performed the national anthem on many previous occasions, including political events, fundraisers and at Lake County Captains baseball games.

In addition, Nemeh will make an appearance earlier in the day on WDOK's Trapper Jack and the Morning Show on Softrock 102.1-FM. She's previously been a guest with Trapper Jack.

For more information, contact Jason Tirotta at 216-368-6890

Posted by: Marsha Bragg, October 15, 2007 11:20 AM | News Topics: Athletics, Athletics, Students

Case Western Reserve University is committed to the free exchange of ideas, reasoned debate and intellectual dialogue. Speakers and scholars with a diversity of opinions and perspectives are invited to the campus to provide the community with important points of view, some of which may be deemed controversial. The views and opinions of those invited to speak on the campus do not necessarily reflect the views of the university administration or any other segment of the university community.