Liberal crisis!

TV.jpg

I want to buy a new TV—a small one, for my bedroom, so that I can move the one that’s currently in my bedroom into my kitchen. I’ve decided this is a necessity based on the fact that ever since I discovered The X-Files was on Netflix Watch Instantly, and that my laptop fits very nicely on a corner of my kitchen counter, my dirty dishes have been cleaned much more regularly. (While I’m still locked into finals, my deal is that I’m only allowed to watch The X-Files if I’m also cleaning the kitchen. See how my mind works? I have to trick myself into doing things like I’m a kindergartner.)

Anyway, I was looking at various online deals, when I suddenly had a guilty little urge to check Wal-Mart.

I don’t shop at Wal-Mart. I have been indoctrinated to think Wal-Mart is terrible. I know that everything in there is way cheaper than you will get it anywhere else, but I also know WHY that is—price gouging and cheating their employees out of health insurance are their main strategies, but, of course, there’s a lot more unnecessarily evil things they are doing.

I ran the search on TVs, and now I have to sit here and know that they have this well-reviewed 19 inch Sharp for about 75% of what other stores are charging for similar products. I want to show integrity and not buy my cheap TV off the backs of the working poor.

But I’M poor! I’m a soon-to-be-unemployed grad student! I hem and haw about whether I really need to buy the name-brand cheese or not!

But…Wal-Mart Watch! Nickel and Dimed!

Now I feel bad for wanting the extra TV at all.

Trackback URL for this entry is: http://blog.case.edu/cereal/mt-tb.cgi/22577

gravatar

Posted by: Leanne
Posted on: May 5, 2010 09:16 AM

Not EVERYTHING is way cheaper. Some things are, like Seattle's Best coffee, and electronics. But for food they really suck, the selection is terrible, the produce is pitiful. Have you ever looked at their book section? Hello inspirational non-fiction. In St Johns there is a separate section of books written by black people. And now Devon is afraid that if we shop there, we will end up on People of Walmart.

gravatar

Posted by: Erin
Posted on: May 5, 2010 09:58 AM

But do they have that series of Amish romances I used to see at the grocery store in Kalamazoo?

You like to watch TV,Right??Newaz,don't be confused.Go to the shopping malls and electronic stores and search for TV and you will defiantly get the thing you want.

gravatar

Posted by:
Posted on: May 6, 2010 01:24 AM

gravatar

Posted by:
Posted on: May 6, 2010 01:24 AM

gravatar

Posted by: Leanne
Posted on: May 6, 2010 08:21 AM

WTF? Is that Will Robinson's robot making those comments? Defiantly?

gravatar

Posted by: Josh
Posted on: May 6, 2010 12:59 PM

As a fellow case grad, I can totally agree on saving money. Check out slickdeals.net for a good deal. Its not like you'll be buying from a mom and pop...but you may find a better deal than walmart.

GL

gravatar

Posted by: Victor
Posted on: May 21, 2010 05:12 PM

I love lost! Great serie.

gravatar

Posted by: Marc
Posted on: June 21, 2010 07:32 AM

Don't feel sorry, just buy the TV.
Be good for yourself ;-)

Guess you just gotta go for the best bargain, the guys with loads of money will not shop around just go and buy one and support the smaller guys . . . well one hopes

gravatar

Posted by: Wallpapers
Posted on: July 15, 2010 09:19 AM

Actually if you watch online movies using your laptop and you don't really need the tv tuner you could just buy a 24" hd monitor http://www.walmart.com/ip/Asus-VH242H/12457223 for roughly the same price and watch movies in full hd resolution 1920 x 1080 on a 24" display instead of half hd 1366 x 768 on a 19" display.

If you have entered an email address in the box, clicking this checkbox will subscribe your email address to this entry so that you are notified if any updates or additional comments occur on the entry.