You said what?

One of the questions I talk about in my proposal involves the idea that part of this project is to develop new techniques for DNA purification. It was commented on my rough draft that I need to explain more about that key idea and develop it more.

“Also missing is a clear discussion of the data gained and how it will help address the fundamental questions in the proposed project.” So I figured the best way to tackle this is to free write, so here I go...

Here are the questions asked by Professor Hauck that need to be answered:
How will the data feedback into developing purification techniques?
As of now I am using a couple of techniques to purify the DNA and get rid of excess large pieces of RNA that cloud the sample.
We are using experimental amounts of Ribonuclease enzyme to help eat at the RNA and purify the sample. (Experimental means that a set amount of enzyme to add has not yet been determined as optimum). We also are using column filtration, to get rid of large pieces (Will this work? only trying will tell). And another technique is PCR through buffer solutions that will filter the DNA, that can be eluded, or removed from the filter through another solution. Optimum amounts for these solutions are still experimental and how much DNA that can be purified effectively at one time is still unknown.

2. What steps can be altered in response to new data?
We using gel electrophoresis to determine how pure a DNA sample is, or how clean it is. If bands corresponding to RNA show, then we have to continue, i.e., try same technique with different amount, or try another. That is what will be done in this experiment, to determine using trail and error what are the best amounts of solution to use for each technique for this kind of DNA.

okay now...to get this in my paper, and so that it makes sense...

Trackback URL for this entry is: http://blog.case.edu/chica/mt-tb.cgi/17611

If you have entered an email address in the box, clicking this checkbox will subscribe your email address to this entry so that you are notified if any updates or additional comments occur on the entry.