« Participate in Saturday of Service, March 28 | Main | Can Local Art Help Old Brooklyn Thrive? »

February 22, 2009

New Photos, February Updates

If you missed Old Brooklyn artist Andre Holt at the Case inauguration event, we have photos. It was a wonderful event for the entire Case community and we especially enjoyed seeing all those students from Cleveland School of the Arts in attendance.

Speaking of students, I appreciate the energetic efforts of Case students who are helping me move this project forward. Special thanks goes to Rebecca Wei, Arielle Tucker, Ken Hornfeck, Matt Collins, and Phil Seitzer, who are working with me over the next several weeks with students at Michael R. White Elementary School on the east side.

That's what I love about Cleveland. Even though Old Brooklyn is a west-side neighborhood, students on the east side are more than willing to reach out and help me with this collaborative effort. So why is the east side working on projects for a neighborhood on the west side? Here, let me explain ...

I had wanted to do some community projects in Old Brooklyn for almost a year now. Then I read about Ashley Solomon, a fourth-year student at Case, who created an initiative called the Cleveland Public Schools Connection (CPSC). CPSC is a project that connects Case students with elementary students that attend Cleveland public schools.

Ashley introduced me to Rebecca Wei, another Case student, who is managing CPSC projects this semester. Since Rebecca is working with students from Michael R. White Elementary School, she thought they would be a perfect fit for my project. And judging by our first few sessions, our team of young artists are excited to be a part of this! So far, they have created artwork for WSEM Brookside and other locations in my neighborhood.

So rather than spend all this time writing, let's take a look at some of the art we're working on. It's amazing what a little paint, recycled paper, and creative ideas can do.

Check out some students showing off their handprint art for the windows at WSEM Brookside.

1 | 2 | 3

Here's a photo of the banner that hangs on the school's cafeteria wall. These are the things that inspire me. Here is a great sign that I pass by on my way to work every morning. This sign is located in the Buckeye area of Cleveland and stands tall among a sea of dilapidated homes and industrial blight. I can't say enough about the community development staff and neighborhood organizers there who are offering hope and encouragement to residents who live there.

Here is some recycled art as well as some work I dug up for various businesses in Old Brooklyn/Brooklyn Centre.

- A poster for WSEM - Brookside, a non-profit organization that supports the hungry and homeless in our neighborhood. This ties in nicely with the handprint art we created and will be hung in the windows very soon.

- A poster for a resale shop, barber shop, some abandoned storefronts and other businesses that need the help. We're hoping that a little color and creativity can change the face of our neighborhood and encourage new artists and entrepreneurs to move into the city.

- A poster for FreshFork Market, a business co-founded by Case alum Trevor Clatterbuck. Trevor lives in the Brooklyn Centre neighborhood and has an office in Tremont.

Posted by mcd34 at February 22, 2009 10:33 PM

Trackback Pings

http://blog.case.edu/cleveland/mt-tb.cgi/19831